Aesthetix Io Users Group

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
To clarify I run balanced out from the Io to a SS sub amp that drives the RELs high level. I don't use an intermediary line stage for the Io . I go phono stage direct to my electrostat amps as well.
So your Io is hooked up to a separate SS amp with balanced xlr connections and that amp is connected to the high level amp input of the REL’s subwoofer amp ? Where do you have the continuous phase adjustment ? Your single ended rca outputs run from the Io directly to your tubed electrostatic amp ?:oops:

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
So your Io is hooked up to a separate SS amp with balanced xlr connections and that amp is connected to the high level amp input of the REL’s subwoofer amp ? Where do you have the continuous phase adjustment ? Your single ended rca outputs run from the Io directly to your tubed electrostatic amp ?:oops:
My Velodynes have continuous phase. My RELs 2 position switch. Both work equally well.

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
My Velodynes have continuous phase. My RELs 2 position switch. Both work equally well.
It is a interesting speaker system, and your setup is very unique. I think Peter Forsell used Beveridge when he designed his gear.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
It is a interesting speaker system, and your setup is very unique. I think Peter Forsell used Beveridge when he designed his gear.
Less is more :)

Reactions: Lagonda

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I am certain you are correct that Dr. Forsell used Beveridge speakers. These are two brands that can hold their own today somewhere on the strata of high end given some care and attention: Forsell and Beveridge.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Jim came over for dinner last Saturday evening. He is absolutely wonderful! I hope other Io owners get to know him personally.

Oh!- the lavish Banquets courtesy of the Resnicks:p--no wonder Jim is getting Fat:D!

Sorry back to thread

B

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I am certain you are correct that Dr. Forsell used Beveridge speakers. These are two brands that can hold their own today somewhere on the strata of high end given some care and attention: Forsell and Beveridge.

Agree -had many an enjoyable session with Harold and the speakers--they sound their best facing each other side on to the listener, a truly remarkable approach and indeed classic of our times--I recall seeing the Mirror glass set being made for Julie Andrews -:oops:

Back to the fine Io gents

BruceD

Reactions: Kcin

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
To clarify I run balanced out from the Io to a SS sub amp that drives the RELs high level. I don't use an intermediary line stage for the Io . I go phono stage direct to my electrostat amps as well.

Thank you.

Do you drive the electrostati amplifiers with the single-ended Io outputs?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Oh!- the lavish Banquets courtesy of the Resnicks:p--no wonder Jim is getting Fat:D!

Sorry back to thread

B

Not a lavish banquet, exactly. Cheesecake Factory delivered in, to be precise.

Jim appeared to me to be in good shape.

Last edited:
Reactions: BruceD and Lagonda

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Not a lavish banquet, exactly. Cheesecake Factory delivered in, to be precise.

Jim appeared to me to be in good shape.

Ah thank you Ron--that's good to know-while I had a mail from him last week--we keep in touch-- the last time I saw him his waistline had expanded somewhat:rolleyes:

BruceD

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Thank you.

Do you drive the electrostati amplifiers with the single-ended Io outputs?
Hi Ron, Yes the Electrostatic amps I have are driven SE from the Io output, The bass amp is driven from the IO balanced output. The amps for the panels are custom made direct drive and were built single ended.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I use both SE and XLR outputs. I use the XLR to my preamp and the rca direct to a headphone amp. I have been listening to headphones more during Covid.

Last edited:

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Finally got around to installing one of my spare cartridges....the Benz Ruby Z which has very low hours onto my second SME V tonearm. Question for any IO owners with multiple cartridge inputs. Before I ask and forget to post, BTW, clear difference in sound compared to the Sussaro MKII With the Sussaro offering a wider soundstage and a more holographic feel. The Benz Ruby Z similar detail retrieval but much less soundstage. I Have a couple other experiments to run.

Can you leave all the phono cables connected to the IO and toggle between inputs Cartridge input? I ask because now that I have two arms and cartridges installed, I unplug one of the phono cables to make sure something does not happen with two separate cartridge loads going into the IO at the same time. I am using XLR from one cartridge and RCA to the other. If someone has opted for the extra cartridge input, are you able to switch between the two cartridge inputs on the fly? What configuration of IO allows this?

On another note, my Transrotor Apollon has 3 tonearm bases...so perhaps might experiment with a third arm, either V12, or something like the new Soundsmith arm. That means a three input IO, this is getting crazy,

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Finally got around to installing one of my spare cartridges....the Benz Ruby Z which has very low hours onto my second SME V tonearm. Question for any IO owners with multiple cartridge inputs. Before I ask and forget to post, BTW, clear difference in sound compared to the Sussaro MKII With the Sussaro offering a wider soundstage and a more holographic feel. The Benz Ruby Z similar detail retrieval but much less soundstage. I Have a couple other experiments to run.

Can you leave all the phono cables connected to the IO and toggle between inputs Cartridge input? I ask because now that I have two arms and cartridges installed, I unplug one of the phono cables to make sure something does not happen with two separate cartridge loads going into the IO at the same time. I am using XLR from one cartridge and RCA to the other. If someone has opted for the extra cartridge input, are you able to switch between the two cartridge inputs on the fly? What configuration of IO allows this?

On another note, my Transrotor Apollon has 3 tonearm bases...so perhaps might experiment with a third arm, either V12, or something like the new Soundsmith arm. That means a three input IO, this is getting crazy,
The two inputs are separate and switched from the front buttons on the main unit. You can either choose a line input or second phono input. With second input in use the cartridge loading is done on the inside with top panel remove. 3 inputs is not an option on the Io.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada

Lagonda is correct. Choice of 2 phono inputs is made upon ordering. I have 2 phono inputs. Both tone arms are connected simultaneously to each input selected at the front panel. The latest Io in this configuration has the loading options inside for each input on a small PC board. ( not really handy) .

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Lagonda is correct. Choice of 2 phono inputs is made upon ordering. I have 2 phono inputs. Both tone arms are connected simultaneously to each input selected at the front panel. The latest Io in this configuration has the loading options inside for each input on a small PC board. ( not really handy) .
“Loading options inside for each input on a small pc board“...agree, not really handy. You lose some simplicity for convenience. It’s already hard for me to get behind the rack. Lifting out of rack and changing pins may be a challenge for since my back is on the fritz. Such is the life of audio geeks. Thank you for the reply.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
“Loading options inside for each input on a small pc board“...agree, not really handy. You lose some simplicity for convenience. It’s already hard for me to get behind the rack. Lifting out of rack and changing pins may be a challenge for since my back is on the fritz. Such is the life of audio geeks. Thank you for the reply.
If you use the same loading on both cartridges you can do the loading on the jumper in the back panel. They 33867A85-E74A-4E77-9448-82FDECFDDBB3.jpeg 202100C2-FD5C-41DF-91BB-8FAAD7776C35.jpeg are maintained, and can be used.

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Thank you for that update.

mariusc

Feb 23, 2014
Johannesburg
I have Io Eclipse with two power supplies and additional line inputs. Up to now I have only used the stock tubes as supplied and matched by Jim. I do not have the time to do tube rolling. For best results, the two power supply boxes must be away from the main box as far as possible. I tried the Io in combination with various preamps like the Gryphon Pandora, ARC Ref 6, Halcro DM10, but still prefer the Io as a stand-alone. Turntable is a SME 30 with SME V arm, Dynavector DRT XV1t and Furutech Silver Arrows III XLR phono cable. On the digital side I use dCS Vivaldi 4 box, plus Network Bridge feeding the additional line input on the Io. Power amp is a Gryphon Antileon EVO, speakers are Vivid Audio Giya G1s. Interconnects are Gryphon VIP reference. I absolutely love the combination. Soundstage is massive, tonal balance is spot-on and the system sounds very natural. The synergy between the Io and Gryphon surprized me. I used the Gryphon Pandora pre and Legato phonostage before this, but got tired of the combination after a while. The Io also synergizes well with the dCS Vivaldi.
The Io is an impressive sounding phono- / linestage, provided that one can live with the heat generation (room gets hot with Io and class A Gryphon), lots of rack space required, no remote volume control and strict operating procedures that must be adhered to.

Reactions: Kcin and Lagonda

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
My room can get warm as well. Between the Io and my Spectral preamp and amp its a lot of class A heat. If its a heat wave I'm usually not in the mood for music. No AC so we suffer until the heat passes. The last heat wave we had we were up to 97 F in the house.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing