Aesthetix Io Users Group

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Hi Ron, wish you all the best, too.
Streamer - the Teac NT-505 works ok for me.
I now often mainly use the Aesthetix Io for recording to DSD (Tascam DA-3000). I find that even with their problems, the recordings sound good, compared to streaming. Trying also to cut down on the active running time of the Io and the Atlas cart, to improve product lifetime. It is not quite the direct Io sound, but a good approximation. I can take it with me on my little DAP Fiio X3ii, for example, and connect my recent Audioquest Nightowl headphones, and have very much of the sound in my main system. An interesting investigation, since I now test the input chain Atlas - Io - Tascam without the output part of the chain (Einstein preamp, Atma-sphere MA-1, Audiokinesis speakers). I've become fascinated enough to buy a pair of Audioquest Nighthawks also. They are both very good.

Last edited:

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Specific Northwest - Seattle area
That’s some hard work. I will need to work up the will to start and finish over a weekend.
It's a labor of love. I listened to CDs while working on it. The hardest part is disconnecting everything, removing from stand, putting back on stand, and reconnecting everything (and praying that it works). The cleaning is not hard, just tedious and of course time consuming.

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
It's a labor of love. I listened to CDs while working on it. The hardest part is disconnecting everything, removing from stand, putting back on stand, and reconnecting everything (and praying that it works). The cleaning is not hard, just tedious and of course time consuming.
Who makes the tube dampers or covers on your tubes in the first pic? They look like they do some cooling. How often do you clean the tube pins? Thanks for sharing.

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
The tube dampers were made by Andy at Vintage Tube Services. I got them at least 15 years ago. I don’t think he makes them any more. They work very well. One time when I shipped the Io back for some tweaks, I accidentally left the tubes and dampers in. It arrived with glass shards in the phono stage. Silly me.

I do the cleaning twice a year. It is a revelation every time I do it. Velvety black background and super smooth high frequencies.

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Thank you. Do you, or anyone for that matter, have experiences with the EAT tube dampers?

Seems reasonable for its intended purpose.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
This is the most beneficial thing you can do to get top performance. Big job. With COVID I will be doing it again.

I use other methods I have developed over the years to get similar results and hopefully make it less work.

Attachments

• IMG_3598.jpg
    IMG_3598.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: audioquest4life

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
This is the most beneficial thing you can do to get top performance. Big job. With COVID I will be doing it again.

I use other methods I have developed over the years to get similar results and hopefully make it less work.
That Telefunken looks great. Where are you using them in the system and what type; 12AX7, etc.?

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Thank you. Do you, or anyone for that matter, have experiences with the EAT tube dampers?

Seems reasonable for its intended purpose.
I have not tried those. Since I got the ones in the photos, I have been quite satisfied and have not tried other dampers. If it ain't broke ...

If you try them, get 2 and install on V1 position or V2. Then try them on the 6922s.

There is a review of various dampers on Herbie's web site. I don't know if it is biased, hopefully not.

tube damper review

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
I took a couple hours this afternoon to clean the Io connectors, tube pins and tube sockets. Here are some photos.

Phono stage with top off:

View attachment 71716
Your picture with the cover off shows the 3M damping material along the side. Do you know if the the damping material is similar to the one 3m has with the aluminum top portion which serves as part of a constrained layer damping product? Curious is your damping material on top is a felt or similar to the 3M product with aluminum top portion. Thanks in advance.

1606083312243.jpeg

1606083460604.jpeg

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Your picture with the cover off shows the 3M damping material along the side. Do you know if the the damping material is similar to the one 3m has with the aluminum top portion which serves as part of a constrained layer damping product? Curious is your damping material on top is a felt or similar to the 3M product with aluminum top portion. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 71751

View attachment 71752
Not sure what you are referring to. I have an Io Eclipse, but have not added any damping material inside. The side panels are vented grills.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing