ATC active pro speakers?

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
Where's your R2R? ;)
Between my LP, CD, SACD, and DVD-A physical media collections I already own sufficient dead or dying formats!

Reactions: c1ferrari

Brad Lunde

Sep 18, 2020
Las Vegas
www.lonemountainaudio.com
What albums are recommended that are considered "well-recorded?" Any which remain AAA (analog tracked/mixed/mastered) and are available in vinyl or preferably, reel-to-reel? Thanks!
I dont keep up on what form the records are in, such as the medium they are available on, this is more of marketing thing by the record company. But I can tell you that following the engineer is usually the best way to get great sounding records. Al Schmidt (as recording engineer either tracking or mixing) has done very few bad sounding records. Same with Chuck Ainlay, George Massenburg, Ed Cherney, Mark Waldrep, David Cheske, Joe Chicarelli, Tom Elmhirst, these are the leading engineer/producers in the business. Buy a record they were involved in and its usually well recorded. There are some engineers such Joe Barresi who does a narrower group of bands, such as TOOL, Queens, etc- he does the best sounding guitars EVER and makes the best sounding rock records Ive ever heard.

So don't follow the artist, follow the engineer.
Brad

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
I dont keep up on what form the records are in, such as the medium they are available on, this is more of marketing thing by the record company. But I can tell you that following the engineer is usually the best way to get great sounding records. Al Schmidt (as recording engineer either tracking or mixing) has done very few bad sounding records. Same with Chuck Ainlay, George Massenburg, Ed Cherney, Mark Waldrep, David Cheske, Joe Chicarelli, Tom Elmhirst, these are the leading engineer/producers in the business. Buy a record they were involved in and its usually well recorded. There are some engineers such Joe Barresi who does a narrower group of bands, such as TOOL, Queens, etc- he does the best sounding guitars EVER and makes the best sounding rock records Ive ever heard.

Brad
Classical?

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada

Brad
Loved this reply and advice Brad!

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
But I can tell you that following the engineer is usually the best way to get great sounding records. Al Schmidt (as recording engineer either tracking or mixing) has done very few bad sounding records. Same with Chuck Ainlay, George Massenburg, Ed Cherney, Mark Waldrep, David Cheske, Joe Chicarelli, Tom Elmhirst, these are the leading engineer/producers in the business. Buy a record they were involved in and its usually well recorded.
Brad
Agree--you left out Joe Gastwirt:rolleyes:!

BruceD

Brad Lunde

Sep 18, 2020
Las Vegas
www.lonemountainaudio.com
What albums are recommended that are considered "well-recorded?" Any which remain AAA (analog tracked/mixed/mastered) and are available in vinyl or preferably, reel-to-reel? Thanks!
I don't think there's any data base of what you re asking for. Some companies that specialize in tape perhaps, but that's getting few are far between when you cannot buy good tape anymore. Analog mixed/mastered is also rare, as pro tools is how it's done now by 99% and the quality has dramatically improved from 10 years ago. But one can judge what sounds good on your own, yes? Also using all music .com , look up records mixed by Al Schmidt, George Massenburg, Chuck Ainlay- this will give you a good start.
Brad

Reactions: c1ferrari

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing