Audio Limits/Thrax - T.H.E. Show 2019

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I also recommend you to try Psavne Acme 300B.

It sounds very sweet and transparent.

I also have NOS WE 300B made in 1940's

NOS WE 300B give slightly tighter bass than Acme while Acme sounds more sweet.

We would be interested in hearing the KR and Elrog tubes as well. The Emmision Labs 300b that it comes with are quite fantastic. Definetley one of the best 300b we have heard. Maybe at some point we will get around to trying the KR and Elrog. But I think we want to try the new Western Electrics first. I've heard some good things about them.

Reactions: Audiolimits

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, I've heard these Thrax spkrs w their hybrid monos (sans subs, but heavilly modded w new internal wiring etc), and I was bowled over.

V good bass for a standmount, and hugely impressive levels of detail and imaging.

I know the owner I visited is aiming to get the matching subs.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Here they are in silver at RMAF 2017... a contender for best in show for sure. :)

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Now this Spartacus (follow the link) into Tannoy Kingdom Royals with an MSB DAC is killer.

I'm not often impressed, but that comdo works. Never thought much of Kingdom Royals til I heard what that combo could do.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
View attachment 53876

View attachment 53877

Audio Limits presented an almost all-Thrax system, including the Thrax Lyra/Basus loudspeaker system ($59,356). This looks like a two part speaker, consisting of a midrange - tweeter - midrange module on top of very large solid metal enclosure containing a 15 inch sealed woofer and a built-in 1,000 watt power amplifier.

View attachment 53878

I was most intrigued by the Thrax Spartacus 300B amplifier ($75,864) which uses six 300B tubes in two stages to produce 50 watts of Class A Directly Heated Triode power.

View attachment 53879

While the system was aided by one of the largest rooms in the venue which allowed the speakers to be pulled far into the room and away from the front wall, I found the sound to be very transparent and very dynamic. I certainly was fascinated by the very unusual design of the large monoblock Spartacus amplifiers.

Overall this was one of my favorite systems of the show.
It was also aided by being completely wired with Hemingway Audio Z-Core Beta cables.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing