Audio quality is reduced when converting

ginlane

Jan 14, 2020
Hi there, I’m Gin. Please, if possible, could I get some simple, non-jargon help. My mum died in May, she was a singer. We have many cassette tapes of her singing, which many in our local area would love to hear, so I came up with a plan. I would digitize the cassettes using Audacity audio software and then convert the audio file into a video file with an added photo or 2 for a bit of colour and then upload them to a registered channel on Youtube where they would be available for all to access. The trouble is, when I convert the digitized audio file to a video file, the audio quality became horrible, much less clear and bright, in fact, almost a bit muffled. I used Powerpoint for the conversion, from an MP3 in to an MP4 file. I feel there is no point in doing this lengthy project if the beautiful music is ruined at the end, and I won’t upload if my mum doesn’t sound her best. I need a bit of friendly help from someone to make sure the converted video files are as clear as the original audio files. I am posting these files on to Youtube rather than any other platform because they will be accessed by primarily older people with limited knowledge of the internet, but everyone knows and understands Youtube. I am happy to take advice on your recommended video editing software and which is best audio file format to use for the process.
I look forward to your help kind regards Ginlane

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
You will need to use a good video editing software like Sony Vegas, Final Cut or others, where you can just import the original digitized audio media into the project. The original digitized audio media should be in a non compressed format, such as a .wav file

Do NOT use audio files that have already been compressed... ie: mp3. As you found out, it will sound like sh*t....

Last edited:
Reactions: Bodhi

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing