Audio Research 75SE

opus10no12

Jul 19, 2021
Hi
I’m new to this forum and may have posted this somewhere else by mistake!
I would appreciate the benefit of members knowledge and experience.
I turned on my Audio Research 75SE ( 4 years old, 2,000 hours) a couple of weeks ago and was rewarded with a loud bang from the amplifier.
There was no smoke or smell of burning.
There was sound from the Left speaker but none from the Right.
The twoVDU meters lit up and I turned it off.
After a cup of tea, the lid came off the 75 SE and there was little to see or smell.
EXCEPT - the bottom right hand ( looking down on the amp from the front ) capacitor in the large array in the middle was slightly bulging on top and the Nichicom wrapper has come apart at the base.
It was turned on via the remote link from the AR LS 26 ( 6 years 3000 hours)
The speakers under threat are Martin Logan Expression 13A’s and amps being fed by an AR cd5.
Like several others I have had problems with the VDU meters ( light on R channel goes off but fixed after scientifically jiggling wire to it , and R VDU needle not moving, again fixed temporarily by scientifically tapping meter ).
Does this ring any bells with anyone.
I would appreciate some feedback before presumably having to return this to the UK importer for repair.
The KT 150’s have tested ok by an independent expert.
BW
Opus10no12

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
A capacitor failed. Nothing to do but have it repaired. Sadly, capacitors sometimes fail.

opus10no12

Jul 19, 2021
Thanks,
There are 9 capacitors.
Would they all have to be replaced
It looks as though I may have to do a few things around the house to get brownie points!
BW
Opus10no12

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Just the failed one.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, Opus10no12!

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Hi
I’m new to this forum and may have posted this somewhere else by mistake!
I would appreciate the benefit of members knowledge and experience.
I turned on my Audio Research 75SE ( 4 years old, 2,000 hours) a couple of weeks ago and was rewarded with a loud bang from the amplifier.
There was no smoke or smell of burning.
There was sound from the Left speaker but none from the Right.
The twoVDU meters lit up and I turned it off.
After a cup of tea, the lid came off the 75 SE and there was little to see or smell.
EXCEPT - the bottom right hand ( looking down on the amp from the front ) capacitor in the large array in the middle was slightly bulging on top and the Nichicom wrapper has come apart at the base.
It was turned on via the remote link from the AR LS 26 ( 6 years 3000 hours)
The speakers under threat are Martin Logan Expression 13A’s and amps being fed by an AR cd5.
Like several others I have had problems with the VDU meters ( light on R channel goes off but fixed after scientifically jiggling wire to it , and R VDU needle not moving, again fixed temporarily by scientifically tapping meter ).
Does this ring any bells with anyone.
I would appreciate some feedback before presumably having to return this to the UK importer for repair.
The KT 150’s have tested ok by an independent expert.
BW
Opus10no12
Hello Opus and welcome,
I have used the absolute sounds ( uk importer ) engineer for some 25 yrs, better you go direct as you will save some coin, if you want I can private mail you his email.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Thanks,
There are 9 capacitors.
Would they all have to be replaced
It looks as though I may have to do a few things around the house to get brownie points!
BW
Opus10no12

Sorry to read of your fault, the 75SE’s have a pretty good fault record. Do you mean one of the 470uF caps in the main power supply tank ? there are six per channel...no worries it should be a straight forward repair but will require a return to SW20.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing