Audio Research LS27 & Krell Evo 400

Ed944t

Apr 15, 2021
In the Krell Evo manual is written that when connecting a tube preamp one must use the RCA inputs, not the xlr's.
The ARC LS27 is an hybrid preamp. Because I have pur silver xlr interlinks, I naturally prefer to use them if possible. Does anybody out there has experience with this? I asked Krells technical support but didn't get a reply.

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
In the Krell Evo manual is written that when connecting a tube preamp one must use the RCA inputs, not the xlr's.
The ARC LS27 is an hybrid preamp. Because I have pur silver xlr interlinks, I naturally prefer to use them if possible. Does anybody out there has experience with this? I asked Krells technical support but didn't get a reply.
“Must” is probably an excessive term.
My guess is that Krell commented regarding the typical higher output impedance that tube line stages have through their balanced outputs.

I don’t know what is the XLR output impedance from your ARC pre and the input impedance on the XLR input on the Krell, but if the latter were >10x than the former you should not have major problems. Otherwise you might experience some roll off on the higher frequencies.
You can always try to check for the most pleasing result.

ARC pre and Krell power amp were a popular audio show setup in Italy ~20 years ago, when the two brands had the same distribution (I don’t know how are things today). My guess is that balanced connections were used.

Ed944t

Apr 15, 2021
It is indeed the problem of the excessive DC from tube preamps. The LS27 though has only tubes in the driver stage and mosfets in the power stage . I don't know which stage causes the excessive DC.

trekpilot

Apr 30, 2018
Germantown, WI
Shouldn't the output coupling caps take care of any DC?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing