Audionet Heisenberg's

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
I have had a pair of Audionet Heisenberg’s for several months now. And now feel they are fully broken in and I have a handle on their sound. I have been comparing them to one of the best amplifiers I have ever heard and owned, the Gryphon Mephisto Stereo which I have had since December of 2020, using it for demonstration and personal listening. I will definitely be sad when it goes up on Audiogon for sale(soon).

Audionet Heisenberg’s;
These amps have a super low noise floor, are open, spacious, dynamic and easy to listen to for long periods of time and with any music. I grew up listening to and seeing live, the Cars, Boston, Queen, ACDC and many bands of that time period. Also at a young age I remember my Mom playing Elvis, Willie Nelson, Tom Jones and the Beatles, so I have a wide range of musical tastes. And while many of these songs and albums were not recorded well, these amplifiers play this familiar music in a way that absolutely thrills me every time I listen.

Gryphon Mephisto Stereo;
It has a strong, prominent bass. This is one of the attributes that defines this amplifier, IMO, from bottom to top. I have had customers really love this aspect of its performance. This gives the Mephisto an overall darker more intimate tonal character and I find instruments slightly less precise and the soundstage a bit flatter then with the Heisenberg’s.

Please understand that the comments above are mine and I encourage anyone who can, to hear these amps. It really is just a Chocolate vs Strawberry sound, a matter of taste

FYI, I am no longer a Gryphon dealer as Gryphon changed their distributer and chose not to keep me on, because I am a home-based dealer and not a brick and mortar store.

IMG_8113.JPG

Last edited:

ICUToo

Sep 20, 2021
I have the Humboldt- it seems that Audionet have found a great topology in their Scientist series.
One of the great things is that it seems that I can play older, poorer-quality recordings, and they still sound really good, rather than having their flaws made unlistenable. I can’t explain how this is possible but it is a wonderful phenomenon.
So, so good, this amp.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great thread and thank you for posting. As a 12-year owner of Gryphon (Antileon, Colosseum then Mephisto), I have a huge admiration for the sound. Yes, the deep bass provides a foundation that feels rooted, truly rooted, in reality...in real space...which is very very engaging. That depth of tonal color and image density also creates a weight to instrumentation and impact that is superb.

Really great to read your notes on the Audionet references as they are an amp it would be great to hear and which I was offered to audition.

I also find that my favorite equipment has an ability 'somehow' to pull out and extract from recordings (of all quality) the music (in addition to the sound, detail)...I am not sure how some designs do that: Zanden, Robert Koda...and it appears Audionet also has that ability. For me, there is something very very subtle (and yet HUGE in enjoyment terms), between extracting sound and detail and extracting music...and I 'think' it has something to do with how equipment is designed to do that extraction.

Enjoy your Audionet!

• Love
Reactions: Scott W

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
I have the Humboldt- it seems that Audionet have found a great topology in their Scientist series.
One of the great things is that it seems that I can play older, poorer-quality recordings, and they still sound really good, rather than having their flaws made unlistenable. I can’t explain how this is possible but it is a wonderful phenomenon.
So, so good, this amp.
Exactly what I have found and actually I am having trouble explaining it as well, as I listen to Looking Glass, Brandy :)

Reactions: ICUToo

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Weren't u a DartZell dealer at one time?

What happened with that??

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
Weren't u a DartZell dealer at one time?

What happened with that??
I was, but like for most dealers, lines come and go. And Dartzeel went :(

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
IMG_8129.JPG

Reactions: 7ryder

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
Scott, I see you are a dealer for Artesania racks. Have you figured a configuration for their Aire amp stand that works cleanly with the Heisenbergs?

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I used to use the Aire stand for the Max amps. First I had a platform that both amps were on and then got a second Aire stand and had one amp on each. So it is certainly doable. (Even with the wedge shape feet on the bottom of the Heisenberg).

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
Scott, I see you are a dealer for Artesania racks. Have you figured a configuration for their Aire amp stand that works cleanly with the Heisenbergs?
As Todd mentioned we originally used one Aire amp stand with a platform for both his Max amps and I am sure the same can be done for the Heisenbergs. Later Todd added another Aire amp stand to accommodate each Max amp separately. The Aire amps stands work great and definitely increase performance, but they take up substantial real estate.

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
Yeah, I have the stands and the instinct is to configure the supports so they are just inside the wedge bars, but it ends up not being very clean, due to clearance challenges with the silver bracket and screw tops.

I need to spend some time playing with alternate configurations to figure out a more optimal arrangement. Pretty sure it can be improved, but I have not had the time or a second person to help move those boat anchors off of and onto the stands.

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
Yeah, I have the stands and the instinct is to configure the supports so they are just inside the wedge bars, but it ends up not being very clean, due to clearance challenges with the silver bracket and screw tops.

I need to spend some time playing with alternate configurations to figure out a more optimal arrangement. Pretty sure it can be improved, but I have not had the time or a second person to help move those boat anchors off of and onto the stands.
I would have two platforms cut and placed on top of the Teflon cones, then place the Heisenbergs on these platforms. You can go with HDF, solid wood of choice, Krion(Corian) or something similar.

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
Appreciate the thought, but candidly it sounds a bit duct tape and bailing wire, and I can't help but think would introduce new sources of vibration not accounted for in the manufacturer's design. Like I said, I am pretty certain there is a way to configure it so that it will work as designed, and I think it involves having one set of cones just behind the front wedge and the second set just behind the rear wedge. I think that will get the screw tops for the silver bracket out of the way, thereby permitting sufficient clearance. Will try to make happen on the next weekend with shitty weather.

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
Artesania recommends and sells a Krion shelf for customers who need them.

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
Well, that does address my concern. Still, I think I would rather see if I can get it to work without the intermediary material. Thanks!

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
CMS Maxxum works fine with Heisenberg

FD2D49C9-3F8A-498F-BC10-2D95B326AE8F.jpeg

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
The Artesania works as well, I was just looking for information on how anyone else had configured them with the Heisenbergs. As you can see, it’s a tight tolerance and the cones are more elevated than I would like, but it works.
98335696-3623-44FB-9F67-C27FCE0A1812.jpeg 75F3B481-C964-4CCD-AE48-2763B41C43BF.jpeg

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
Well, I can’t claim that I arrived at MIT as the result of a lot of research. Rather, my previous electronics were spectral and so the MIT cables are what I have.

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
Rear view in case anyone wants to see it IMG_8138.JPG

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing