Audioquest Elements - Bridges and Falls on steroids?

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
My Audioquest cable journey started off with some HDMI and Evergreen analogue interconnects for my (pretty basic) TV setup. I was actually quite impressed even by their second-from-the-bottom cables in a setup like that. Nothing at all to complain about at the price. The approach seemed to be my favoured one: Don't do anything overtly offensive to the sound. A sins of omission paradigm so to speak (according to how much you decide to pay). I've now had those cables in my TV setup for around 30 months now and remain extremely happy with them (and as an aside, the HDMI cable is very easy to route - something I cannot necessarily say about other brands).

I was thus enthusiastic enough to try the brand in a proper audio setup, so borrowed the Sydney, Victoria and Yosemite from the local dealer - three cables in the top half of the Bridges and Falls range. I did not audition the Angel as it was out of my budget.

What surprised me the most with the above audition is that I could hear very distinct improvements with each cable according to price. When I had read the specifications, I was honestly expecting the Yosemite to be over-priced and likely - to my ears at least - indistinguishable from the cheaper Victoria. Afterall, the changes are relatively subtle - that DBS box and a change to the insulation being the two main features. Yet there was a more obvious difference between the Yosemite and Victoria than the Victoria and Sydney. I considered a Victoria a disappointing upgrade from the Sydney but the Yosemite a very worthy upgrade from the Victoria. Certainly nothing like I was expecting as I plugged those cables in and actually listened.

Perhaps the most stark difference (at least to anyone who is not accustomed to hearing cable differences) manifested itself in the French work Escales by Jacques Ibert - the version with Paul Paray on Mercury vinyl SR90313. The opening forte bars of the first violins sounded relatively sour and abrasive with both the Sydney and Victoria yet sounded more like violins should with the Yosemite. If I were to nit-pick, the downside of the superb tonality and smoothness was a very slightly dry sound and perhaps lacking some subtleties in terms of microdynamics and overall detail. Nevertheless, I considered (still consider) this cable to be excellent for the price, so I bought it. It's been in my system for two years now.

The above experience now has me wondering about the Elements series. If you look at the specs of the cables in the two series, you might say that the main differences between a Yosemite and Earth is the latter is two separate physical cable runs (as opposed to one with the Yosemite) and the two DBS boxes (again, as opposed to just one with the Yosemite). Given how much difference I heard between the Victoria and Yosemite with such "small" physical differences, I cannot help thinking that the difference between the Yosemite and Earth could be just as significant. If it were, I might almost say the Earth is my perfect copper interconnect.

Has anyone here heard the Earth with classical (or acoustic) music or even better, compared it to the Yosemite? Or has anyone made any other comparisons between the Earth and Bridges and Falls series?

Thanks

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
I like your thinking about seeking improvements. So far you know that AQ is pleasing and their pricing reflects value. In order to get an improvement within AQ you will need to step up ($$$). The real question is can you get more SQ for less $$$ from another brand. I recommend comparing to some other brands that cost the same or less than what you are using. case in point, I like Virtual Dynamics cables and their Master Reference Digital cable at $1500 sounded stunning in my system. Another vendor I really liked suggested I do a shootout with his $200 digital cable. I accepted just to be polite but didn't expect much. End of story is it blew away my cable away which I put on Ebay and had money left over for the new cable.
Hope that helps.

Reactions: Mossback

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing