Audioquest (USB cable) 'DBS' positioning changes sound ?

allhifi

Jun 19, 2016
I was taken aback when I discovered that the Audioquest 'DBS pack' positioning (along the 'Coffee' USB cable) introduced considerable SQ differences -depending where the 'pack' was positioned (and angled) within the 2-3"(5-7.5cm) of available space.

Does anyone have experience with this -or noted similar ?

Please, do tell ! (lol). I am being serious though.

Cheers,

pj

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Huh, never tried it.

allhifi

Jun 19, 2016
Hi Lee: Oh, but do !

Way before I purchased the 'hunched-backed' AQ cables -I wondered about that growth hanging off the cable.

Upon first connecting (primarily the 'Coffee' USB), I noticed drastic changes in SQ -that went beyond typical 'break-in' experience. And sure enough -the further the DBS (from the device) -the 'cleaner/clearer' it sounded. That was about at the 150-hour mark. Although I still have the 'Coffee' (0.75m USB), I will NOT, again, consider anything less than 1.0m (1.5m in the case of AQ USB) for cabling.

pj

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
allhifi, all the calbes in my system are AQ. That includes 1.5m long USB Diamond. I could test your observations in my system but you need to be more specific. For example, what do you mean by your last sentence? What's length of the cable got to do with positioning of DBS pack? (You wrote: "
Although I still have the 'Coffee' (0.75m USB), I will NOT, again, consider anything less than 1.0m (1.5m in the case of AQ USB) for cabling.")

allhifi

Jun 19, 2016
allhifi, all the calbes in my system are AQ. That includes 1.5m long USB Diamond. I could test your observations in my system but you need to be more specific. For example, what do you mean by your last sentence? What's length of the cable got to do with positioning of DBS pack? (You wrote: "
Although I still have the 'Coffee' (0.75m USB), I will NOT, again, consider anything less than 1.0m (1.5m in the case of AQ USB) for cabling.")

Hey ayreman: I should have started another paragraph when speaking of cable length choice -nothing at all to do with DBS module positioning, that of course extends only a few inches.

The 1.5m simply enables greater component positioning.

pj

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
If changing positions of the cable affects the sound very obviously, then it most likely has very poor noise rejection - maybe even enhanced noise acceptation. To me that would seem faulty.

johndoe21ro

Oct 3, 2012
Europe
There's nothing faulty about AQ! Couldn't be happier with their cables! :)

Reactions: ayreman

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I'm not saying you wouldn't be happy with them, but if orientation (not direction) affects the sound, they aren't getting that sound by reduction of noise. In engineering it'd be considered faulty. For audiophile, it's just something different.

allhifi

Jun 19, 2016
There's nothing faulty about AQ! Couldn't be happier with their cables! :)

I agree; although I only have experience with AQ digital (specifically USB), the ones I've had/have include Carbon, Coffee and for the last 150 hours, Diamond USB (1.5m). And, an appropriate segue thus follows; the time required for 'Break-in/Settling' of DBS module cables:
My experience with Coffee USB 2-weeks-to-500 hours (0.75m). The 'Diamond' sounding quite nice (excellent actually) as it approached the 140 hours mark -the one week/168 hour mark arrives today about 1:00 PM (EST).

Furthermore, It's essential to physically disconnect the cable (for a few minutes -up to 30 minutes) several times as the cable 'settles' -thus expediting 'break-in' time.

pj

allhifi

Jun 19, 2016
I'm not saying you wouldn't be happy with them, but if orientation (not direction) affects the sound, they aren't getting that sound by reduction of noise. In engineering it'd be considered faulty. For audiophile, it's just something different.

Thanks Folsom. I thought everyone would "get it": DBS module's physical positioning/orientation as it relates to perceived SQ -specifically low/mid-frequency 'clarity'.

pj

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
I agree; although I only have experience with AQ digital (specifically USB), the ones I've had/have include Carbon, Coffee and for the last 150 hours, Diamond USB (1.5m). And, an appropriate segue thus follows; the time required for 'Break-in/Settling' of DBS module cables:
My experience with Coffee USB 2-weeks-to-500 hours (0.75m). The 'Diamond' sounding quite nice (excellent actually) as it approached the 140 hours mark -the one week/168 hour mark arrives today about 1:00 PM (EST).

Furthermore, It's essential to physically disconnect the cable (for a few minutes -up to 30 minutes) several times as the cable 'settles' -thus expediting 'break-in' time.

pj

OMG telling the 140 from 168 hr mark.....LMAO !

allhifi

Jun 19, 2016

Hey 'twitchy': Since I haven't gotten to the '168' hour mark, I can't say. Yet, this morning, the USB 'Diamond' was sounding flat/ uninspiring, so (as normal when 'breaking-in'), I disconnected, then will re-insert.

I, unlike some, have been doing this a long time, and hope to offer some rare (desperately needed) 'insight' for those who may be wondering/experiencing similar.

May I suggest a comedy forum for your twitchy giggling to be appreciated ?

pj

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing