B&W DM220I

vanman

Oct 17, 2022
Hi guys does anyone have any experience with old 90's B&W220I speakers?,.they are rated for 10-100 watts, & are 8ohms I understand the idea is to have "headroom" amp power wise & that a 2 chanell provides the best result for music however im interested in in movies to so concidering av recievers,.what I'm interested to know is short of litteraly buying & testing several av amps can anyone from personal experience advise me realistically what amp power would be concidered a sweet spot?,.
Also has anyone ever bothered to do any upgrades to the original crossovers?
Cheers

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Well, not the same, but I had a pair of 201s (model before?) with a Linn LK140 (95W/C). Volume for music was usually at about six at the loudest. Movies were a bit more variable and depended on their mixes as I didn't have surround. Generally, though, an action move was about 6-7 if my memory hasn't failed.

Beau

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi guys does anyone have any experience with old 90's B&W220I speakers?,.they are rated for 10-100 watts, & are 8ohms I understand the idea is to have "headroom" amp power wise & that a 2 chanell provides the best result for music however im interested in in movies to so concidering av recievers,.what I'm interested to know is short of litteraly buying & testing several av amps can anyone from personal experience advise me realistically what amp power would be concidered a sweet spot?,.
Also has anyone ever bothered to do any upgrades to the original crossovers?
Cheers
Hello vanman

Welcome to the What's Best Forums.

Most modern AV Receivers should have more than enough watts for your B&Ws.
I would look at something around 100 watts to avoid clipping due to too little watts especially for homecinema applications.

Cheers, Christoph

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hello,
Anything in a range of 50-100W will handle them with no problems. In 99% you won't use half of the available power handling.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing