Backert Labs preamps

muncybob

Dec 17, 2015
From a little research here, Bob Backert is no stranger to many of you. I had the opportunity to audition for a week one of Backert Labs new preamps...the Rhumba 1.1

I'm not sure where they retail these but if you get a chance to hear it you will not be sorry. I wish I had the budget right now to pick up this piece, but it will have to wait a bit. The clarity, separation of instruments and clean bass was an eye opener for me. Anybody have any experience with stuff from Backert Labs?

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I know Bob and he makes a great preamp. I believe they have or will be having a new pre that is less expensive than their flagship model. I have contacts there that can help you I am sure.

muncybob

Dec 17, 2015
To my knowledge they have the Rhumba and I believe the Symphony...the former being the less expensive one. Do you know if they do mods on amps not made by them?

muncybob

Dec 17, 2015
Thanks guys, I just sent an email to Andy for some info. I have an old Dynaco PAS4 that I am considering updating. Not in the same league as the Rhumba but still a decent piece.
I was wrong on the amp they have, it's not the Symphony but I guess you guys knew that already :)

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Hello,

Their reference preamp is called the Rhythm whereas the Rhumba is a somehow scaled down version. Unfortunately there is no way to listen to them in Europe.
From the reviews I read, which are all pretty raving, it is hard to make up the sound though they are in line with what you write on resolution and clarity.

The thing is: do you think this preamp also brings some warmth (not luscious but just very realistic timbre with the harmonics that go with it) to the table?

If it does in combination with the high resolution it could be a best of both worlds. If it doesn't, one might as well buy a solid state preamp...

muncybob

Dec 17, 2015
With the ease of rolling tubes in the Rhumba, I would think you can customize the sound to your liking.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi any further updates on the Backert? What have these been compared to, apart from what's written in the formal reviews?

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Hi any further updates on the Backert? What have these been compared to, apart from what's written in the formal reviews?

A couple of months ago I contacted Backert Labs and tried to arrange a demo in Europe, i.e. to have a preamp on trial but that didn't work out... Having to pay for the unit upfront + transport (and possibly back) + import duties + VAT + customs handling fees made it impossible to do such trial with a unit that is shipped out of the US into Europe.
In other words, if I would have decided to return the unit, then I would have lost a big portion of its value just on getting the unit here in the first place. For this reason, it is much more appropriate to look for manufacturers that are based in the European Union (at least until 2019 from a UK perspective, after which time it will become very interesting for the Brits having successfully concluded trade deals with half the world no doubt ;) )

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
A couple of months ago I contacted Backert Labs and tried to arrange a demo in Europe, i.e. to have a preamp on trial but that didn't work out... Having to pay for the unit upfront + transport (and possibly back) + import duties + VAT + customs handling fees made it impossible to do such trial with a unit that is shipped out of the US into Europe.
In other words, if I would have decided to return the unit, then I would have lost a big portion of its value just on getting the unit here in the first place. For this reason, it is much more appropriate to look for manufacturers that are based in the European Union (at least until 2019 from a UK perspective, after which time it will become very interesting for the Brits having successfully concluded trade deals with half the world no doubt ;) )

Yes but Backert, Veloce LS-1, Exemplar WMTS, all available used at low prices if one can change it to our voltage. Unfortunately cannot listen to them or compare them.

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
if one can change it to our voltage.

I veer away from 'europeanized' US voltage-designs. You can get stress in the transformers and hum and no way to remedy, simply because at the origin the power circuit is designed to work well with 110V.
Of course, there are designers over there that already take the 220-240V requirements into account from the start but it is a bit of a lottery to know which ones these are.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ok good point

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I veer away from 'europeanized' US voltage-designs. You can get stress in the transformers and hum and no way to remedy, simply because at the origin the power circuit is designed to work well with 110V.
Of course, there are designers over there that already take the 220-240V requirements into account from the start but it is a bit of a lottery to know which ones these are.

The main problem is not the 110 /230V - manufacturers can easily deal with it. But the 50 Hz is a source of stress and noise in the transformers and most US manufacturers are not prepared to test their equipments at this frequency. This plague affects even well known and famous US brands!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing