Bad records ruining cartridge or needle?

gongli

Dec 26, 2018
How bad does the record have to be before it starts to ruin cartridge or needle?

Thanks in advance...

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
It would have to be pretty bad, to where you couldn’t derive any listening enjoyment from its playback anyways. In a proper setup, the real risk to a stylus comes mostly from the meat between the system and the listening chair (that’s you and me).

Over the years I’ve had a stylus run over a couple of baked-on pieces of grit (hugely loud POP through the speakers), a few repeat /skip grooves, and a couple end grooves that didn’t “catch” the stylus and sent it running onto the label. No apparent damage from any of these cases. But certainly these are events you want to limit as much as possible. I’ve been fortunate enough to catch all cracked and chipped records via visual inspection before play - that could be disastrous. If it doesn’t look decent after a full clean and visual inspection, I don’t play it anymore.

The affixing of the stylus to cantilever often seems to be a weak point - this is a problem if you drop it hard into a record/platter, or snag it with a thread of clothing. The stylus itself should be quite durable with proper cleaning regimens.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
A record that has some kind of detrius in the groove that is embedded and hard will possibly damage your stylus. That is about the only way I know of a stylus getting rapidly damaged, besides human error.
OTOH, it is going to accelerate the wear on the stylus if you play records that are groove damaged and are not clean....the micro particles in the groove will wear on the stylus through time.
One of the reasons that I don’t like to play older misused records in general and those that have been groove damaged ( besides the SQ), because the question becomes how well one can actually clean the groove..YMMV

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
All records and cartridges wear out as they are used. The question is how to minimize the wear and tear.

gongli

Dec 26, 2018
Thanks a lot for those words of wisdom! I will try to clean well, and examine it well before playing...

Enjoy the holidays and happy listening.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing