Balanced-Unbalanced

AdamZ

Mar 23, 2017
Germanny
Hi Guys.
I have a technical question.
I have a Classe Audio CP-700 preamp.
This has 2 balanced and 2 unbalanced inputs and outputs.
From my CDP I go balanced Into the preamp,
from my DAC unbalanced via unb./balanced cable into the 2end balanced input of the preamp.
From the preamp iI go balanced into the poweramp.
Question:
will that unbalanced Signal of my DAC changed into a balanced signal by the preamp?
Hope i can explain it well.(with help from google translator)
Thanks
Adam

Cellindo

Oct 28, 2018
France
Hi Adam,

I would not recommend a hybrid cable doing unbalanced => balanced connectivity. You can simply use unbalanced RCA cable to connect your DAC to your preamp. The electronic conversion will happen inside the preamp and you will get the balanced signal on the XLR output of your CP-700.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
You need to understand if the components you have are balanced or not, and they probably all are in your case, but double check with the manufacturer.

Your pre recommends using balanced connections and most DACs are balanced as well, so I'd recommend using XLR cables between DAC and pre. This will result in 6 dB additional gain as well...

If you send a balanced preamp a single ended signal it will convert it to balanced along the way, but the quality of the conversion is unknown and it's best to avoid it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing