Bandcamp and Sound Liaison - What are they?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Can someone edify me on what Bandcamp and Sound Liaison are? it looks like Bandcamp is more related to artists than regular companies. Are they a non-profit? What about Sound Liaison? They look like they are related to Bandcamp. I saw some albums on their websites that I may want to buy. Thanks, Larry

Reactions: kodomo

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Bandcamp is an online platform where artists or labels can set up their own stores, sell streaming or physical releases. It is a platform where artists get the largest share of the sales. I like the platform as it makes me supports the artists I like more directly.

Sound liaison is a recording label based in Netherlands. They are famous for their audiophile recordings. They make recording sessions live (single take) and sometimes with an audience at a recording studio. They sometimes record with a unique single three diaphragm microphone and call these one mic recordings. They are one of the record labels whom also have an online store at the bandcamp platform, there is no other connection.

Reactions: rando and astrotoy

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Thanks. Does that mean that labels like Sound Liaison also provide the artists with the largest share of sales? So that anything I buy through Bandcamp supports the artists more than conventional labels? Larry

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I have done a few formal reviews of the Sound Liaison recordings and they are uniformity fantastic. Your music tastes vary of course. While SL artists sell on Bandcamp. I think only SL sells the studio masters Which are now 24/352.8 As well as conversions to other PCM down samples and DSD.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Thanks, much appreciated. I just looked at the Bandcamp website in more detail. Turns out Bandcamp is located about 5 miles from where I live, only 3 Bart stops or 10 minutes away. I'll go by to check them out when they reopen. Sound Liaison looks very interesting also. Larry

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Thanks. Does that mean that labels like Sound Liaison also provide the artists with the largest share of sales? So that anything I buy through Bandcamp supports the artists more than conventional labels? Larry
Bandcamp takes 10% from physical sales and 15% from digital sales and the rest goes to page/shop owner. In sound liaisons band camp case, they get this 90% and I do not know how much they pay the artists.

Reactions: astrotoy

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Thanks for the information. I did buy several of the Sound Liaison downloads yesterday. I stuck with the original master files, most were at DXD352, which my DAC does natively. Two were PCM96, which my DAC also does. So far they sound quite fine. Larry

Reactions: 24bit

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
I remembered a news letter I got from Sound Liaison last year. It seems that they share equally with their musicians;
Here is the letter;
Dear all,

These are indeed trying times. Covid 19 has changed the world and the way we live in a matter of weeks. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all people working on the frontline of this immense battle.

In our own little world, Covid 19 means that our artists are all without work since the lockdown. All concerts have been cancelled and the academies where some of our musicians teach are closed.
We had to cancel all planned recording dates for this spring.

But there's a little bit of good news; the 2019 royalty payments from Sound Liaison to the musicians collaborating with the label again betters the previous years..
Sound Liaison is a collaboration between engineer, producer and musicians, which means we share the profit made equally.
The reason you cannot find our albums in high resolution on streaming services like Spotify, Amazon and Tidal is that we want to pay our artists their fair share, after all they are the ones creating the music. It does mean we have to remain a small 'boutique' label. But at least we are in complete control of our music and the earnings made.

We have been very fortunate to receive a number of rather positive reviews:
RECORD REVIEW This recording doesn’t take you to the recording studio. Even better, it brings the recording studio to your listening room. Audiophile style

The result is spectacular, with a warm, generous ambience you can almost reach out and touch each instrument. HIFI NEWS AND

Sound Liason’s DXD sampler, The Visual Sound, offers some of the most realistic sounding recordings I’ve heard. Audio Express

"It is a wonderful album. Scholten's compositions are more intimate than ever. 'Volkskrant'
With an engineer of the capabilities of Frans Rond, mixing is no longer needed. The careful placement of the musicians and the control of group balance makes "Don't You Cry" one of the best-sounding "live in the room" audiophile recordings I've heard.
Mark Werlin

“Sound Liaison differs from many audiophile labels as they produce music that you will want to listen to over and over again.” Audiostream.com
”I think we would all agree that this recording sounds sensational....Audiophile Style

“Another gem from Sound Liaison ...The sound is killer.” Audiostream.com

“it is impossible to let go of the deep melancholic atmosphere.”Volkskrant
“A superior Beatles tribute.” Guitarist magazine

“A must have recording..” Hifi. NL

“Superb musicianship and just fantastic sound.” Audiophile Style

“Fantastic sound and dynamics, this recording is pure bliss.”Nomono.dk

“The tone, timbre and soundstage on this recording are all superb. Audiophile Style”

“Warm and soulful interpretation and a unique sound...5 stars!” Jazzism
“Superior Sound Quality….. gorgeous, subtle and funky improvisations” Lust for Life magazine

“ One of the best and best-sounding jazz vocal albums to come along in many a day.”
Soundstagexperience.com
“Divine listening pleasure. The sound is so real that you can reach out and grab it”. Nomono.dk

“Another Wonderful Jazz Recording from Sound Liaison”.Radsreviews.com

“a match made in heaven" Luister Magazine

Reactions: Migo and kodomo

Migo

Aug 10, 2013
I have done a few formal reviews of the Sound Liaison recordings and they are uniformity fantastic. Your music tastes vary of course. While SL artists sell on Bandcamp. I think only SL sells the studio masters Which are now 24/352.8 As well as conversions to other PCM down samples and DSD.
And thanks for those reviews Joe, well written and very informative, they made me appreciate their albums even more.
The older recordings, done in 24bit 96khz , seems to be the same as on the Sound Liaison site where as the newer DXD recordings are indeed only in lower 24&96 resolution on the BandCamp site, so for the 24bit 352khz one has to go to the Sound Liaison site. Probably bandcamp can't handle DXD and DSD yet.

Reactions: APP

APP

Oct 1, 2014
and 32 bit/352.8 as well as one in 768 , but I can't see if that is 24 0r 32 bit.

APP

Oct 1, 2014
I looked it up. It is created from the analog tape master with an RME dac to 768. But it also seems to be a one of as the new albums are ''only'' 32/352.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing