Bang & Olufsen unveils stunning looking Beovision Harmony OLED TV | with folding "Wing" speakers

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It’s a TV made by LG which you can buy at a fraction of the cost. I’m not sure I even like the look when it is “off”. Cute to see the set rise up as it is turned on and the speakers turn but honestly I’d buy the LG. rather than pay 21000 USD

I was in Costco yesterday and they were selling current versions of 70” LG and Samsung 4K for under $4K. That’s remarkable. The B&O is a rip-off IMO

It’s nothing more than a . conversation piece IMHO

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
But of course. I only posted it because the design is intriguing. I don't look @ the price, because I would have posted this instead:

? https://www.techradar.com/news/lg-tv-catalog-2019-heres-every-lg-tv-model-coming-in-2019

* Did you guys watch "Aquaman" in 4K Blu-ray? ...In 3D?
It looks almost 3D in 4K on an OLED LG display.
The 3D version (BR) ain't bad either (another display).
The film itself is not worth more than two stars (out of five).
You just watch the pretty picture and feel the couch vibrating.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Here (strictly money speaking, best deal right now - LG model OLED C8):

• 77" -> https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-77-...ith-hdr/6211110.p?skuId=6211110&intl=nosplash

• 65" (WoW) -> https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16889007642

The 77" was $4,999.99 @ another place in the past, but no covering for burn-in.
My Best Buy stores here they do cover it; for me that is very important.

The 65" right now from Newegg is an amazing deal.

Anyway, this thread is about the B&O folding "Wing" speakers, the design.
Nobody is going to buy it, of course not; not when you can pay three times less for a LG same size, last year model and lower model series (like that 77" C8 model). But, some people they just might; the ones with ultra modern decor homes and ultra modern bank accounts.

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
They're all stupid until they have eARC. It's tech that should have been around for the last 3 decades.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Also, it's a 2019 top LG Signature screen model ... $12,999.99

? https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-OLED77W9PUA-signature-oled-4k-tv

* Some people buy $30,000/pair of speaker wires (one set only); are they crazy?
Some people buy anti-vibration footers for $3,000 (one component only); are they crazy?
Some people buy best pressing records for $1,000 (one to 3-record set only); are they crazy?
Some people buy a car (5 miles to the gallon) for $3,000,000 (one car only); are they crazy?
Some people buy a turntable for $300,000 (one TT only, cart not included); are they crazy?

And I can go on and on (only me); am I crazy?

The point is the "Wings" speakers that you can fold and open (magic).
The panel (LG OLED 2019 model 77" top class) is probably custom, based on the Signature W9 Model that will be available later this year for thirteen grands.

Si it's not a LG 2018 B8 or C8 model, on sale @ Costco.

Yes it's expensive, yes you can buy a quality pair of audio interconnects for that price ($22,000).
...Or a new cartridge for that price, or tonearm.

Steve Williams

For my eyes and my pocket I would never buy this. It's butt ugly when off and I see zero reason that when you push the on button the speakers move and the TV set moves upwards. For me it's nothing more than a stupid conversation piece

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I am not in the market of expensive TVs, but I was recently looking at a 77" Loewe Bild 7. Sorry to recognize that even using a standard terrestrial broadcasting it was IMHO clearly superior to comparable size, but lower cost, sets from LD, Sony or Samsung.

In the old days, using Philps made CRTs, Bang & Olufsen developed excellent TV's, that were famous for the "natural" image - I have no experience with their current sets.

As Bob told us, these expensive TVs use custom panels from LG, not those fitted in standard LG's and also custom developed image processing software. It is what creates the difference, associated to particular looks or features that we can like or dislike.

Steve Williams

I am not in the market of expensive TVs, but I was recently looking at a 77" Loewe Bild 7. Sorry to recognize that even using a standard terrestrial broadcasting it was IMHO clearly superior to comparable size, but lower cost, sets from LD, Sony or Samsung.

In the old days, using Philps made CRTs, Bang & Olufsen developed excellent TV's, that were famous for the "natural" image - I have no experience with their current sets.

As Bob told us, these expensive TVs use custom panels from LG, not those fitted in standard LG's and also custom developed image processing software. It is what creates the difference, associated to particular looks or features that we can like or dislike.

so when are you buying one?

Yes they use LG panels but I saw no specs that these panels were tweaked from standard LG panels. AsI said I saw SOTA LG and Samsung 70" 4K TV's for under $4000 a few days ago at Costco and they were stunning

All they are doing is rebadging an LG adding some lame speakers that rotate when the set is turned on and causes the set to rise up. All unnecessary froufrou IMHO which add nothing to the appearance of the set. If that's worth $21K USD I say go for it

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
so when are you buying one?

Yes they use LG panels but I saw no specs that these panels were tweaked from standard LG panels. AsI said I saw SOTA LG and Samsung 70" 4K TV's for under $4000 a few days ago at Costco and they were stunning

All they are doing is rebadging an LG adding some lame speakers that rotate when the set is turned on and causes the set to rise up. All unnecessary froufrou IMHO which add nothing to the appearance of the set. If that's worth $21K USD I say go for it

My post addressed Loewe TVs, no experience at all with current B&O.

I think I was clear that I am not buying such price TVs. I simply do not watch TV time enough to deserve or even consider them.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Here's a question....

why in the world would LG produce panels for another company that are superior to the panels that they put in their own TV's

Probably the panels can be custom made to client specifications. We can't say that the panel is intrinsically superior - it is the use that the client makes of this panel that creates a superior TV set. This happens all the time - it is part of custom engineering.

Steve Williams

Probably the panels can be custom made to client specifications. We can't say that the panel is intrinsically superior - it is the use that the client makes of this panel that creates a superior TV set. This happens all the time - it is part of custom engineering.

I get it. I just don't believe this is in any way a superior TV than any made by LG. It is nothing but gimmicky as is the other sliding one Bob also posted

I have a 55" outdoor weatherproof, waterproof Sunbrite TV which we use on our patio. Apparently every year Sunbrite culls what they feel are the best panels to use in their outdoor TV's. The panels in my TV came from LG but the specs were not tweaked. Rather they chose what they felt were the best panels and used them in their TV's. Mine is now about 5-6 years old and when new cost me $3800, not some jacked up price such as seen by B&O

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Do you mean the new "rollable" LG OLEDs? ...Post #14, first paragraph.
They look pretty cool to me; I'm looking forward to read professional video reviews in a near future.
_____

Anyway I understand the reticence on B&O new design/concept OLED (top class 2019 LG OLED 77" panel) Beovision Harmony new 4K 2019 TV for approximately $21,000 (that's a fair chunk of cash more than the $13,000 for the 2019 W9 77" OLED from LG. But in picture as in sound some customers are Design conscientious, and easily can afford the best for their own room decors. That's all.
_____

"According to B&O VP Christoffer Østergaard Poulsen, the motion of the speaker wings was inspired by butterfly wings, challenging its designers and engineers to craft the motion needed neatly allow the wings to meet up. Torsten Valeur, of Valeur Designs, was responsible for the concept and worked with B&O engineers to make it a reality. "I wanted to get this kind of symmetric movement .. that indicates something special is about to happen.

"In the movement itself, it's important to see the transparent air between the shapes. This makes it all look light", he added."

_____

* It's a lovely spring day today (April 9) to be alive; only few more hours (approx seventeen) till some pics of couple black holes by the Event Horizon Telescope. I am excited, very.

Steve Williams

But in picture as in sound some customers are Design conscientious, and easily can afford the best for their own room decors. That's all.

I totally get that and agree but to my eyes it's butt ugly

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It looks like a butterfly Steve, when unfolding and folding back. :)
You and I won't be buying one; some will I'm sure...perhaps Europeans from Finland, the happiest country in the world.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing