Bass problem with my Avalon Ascendant

Dev.R

Aug 6, 2020
Hi all, My first post here . My Avalons are driven by Conrad Johnson LP70S power and CT5 pre amp. I also have an Accuphase E470. Front end is Proceed PDT 3 Transport and Denafrips Terminator DAC. Speaker Cables are VDH T3 Air and I also have a Synergistic Research. My room size is 20 feet by 14 feet .

I get a booming bass inspite of placing the speakers 6 feet from the rear wall and 3 feet from the sides. The speakers are NOS and has 150 hours on it.
How to overcome this bass issue.
Thanks in advance.
cheers
dev.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
You are just going to have to move the speakers around to find a spot where they don’t match up with a room node. If memory serves the ascendants are bottom ported and the port is tuned to ~40 Hz.

Reactions: win and Dev.R

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
As per the previous post, find the right position for the speakers in the room. The surface those bottom ported Avalon's sit on can make a difference so it's also worth experimenting with that. Almost bought a pair myself after hearing them sound wonderful in a couple of implementations. The CJ's should work great. Best of luck

Reactions: Dev.R

StreamFidelity

Jun 30, 2020
Rostock, Germany
griggaudio.de
My congratulations on these beautiful speakers.

Basically, it's a problem with room acoustics that everyone has. The suggestions mentioned are all correct, but if in doubt they can only reduce the problem but not solve it properly.

I use an electronic correction with Acourate for this. The thin line shows two really heavy bass modes at around 70Hz and 100Hz. The bold line shows the electronic correction. Many people make the mistake of linearizing the frequency response. That doesn't sound good to me. And so I take the bass a little in the target curve because it's fun. But it doesn't boom like that.

The timing of the different chassis is also optimized with Acourate. The result is the perfect step response.

samgar

Jun 3, 2013
Midlothian, VA
Hello Dev:

I own a pair of Avalon Ascendants which I am powering with 2 Jeff Rowland 125 amps in mono. The speakers are sitting on a rug and are afoot from the wall. The room is quite small, 10 x 12. I get zero boom. The fact that the speakers have their bass port on the underside bottom should makes them easier for placement. There might be an issue with the crossover. Good luck and I hope you find a solution.

Sam

Dev.R

Aug 6, 2020
Thanks guys, have been working on Placement and seems to work. Even a small change in Placement bring substantial difference in sound. Loving this process of finding the right spot. Will keep you updated.
Cheers.

Dev.R

Aug 6, 2020
Hi friends , Finally got the placement right and 80% of my problem is solved. Still getting a slight boom, for which I am planning to treat the wall behind me ( which is now a bare one) . Trying to get the best out of Avalons.
Cheers and stay safe.
Dev

samgar

Jun 3, 2013
Midlothian, VA
Hello Dev:

I am glad you were able to correct most of the bass problem. As I mentioned I have same Avalon speakers and love the sound. As small of a room they are in, I am surprised that there is no bass boom. Treating the back wall should most likely help, however the speaker's bass port is on the bottom of the speaker.

Have a great week-end.

Dev.R

Aug 6, 2020
Hi Samgar , yes the port is in the bottom , but sound is non directional. So I think the Acoustics should help a lot. You can see the Avalon room ( which was posted by another esteemed member) contains a good amount of absorption panels . I do not want to over do the acoustics. So doing things one by one. Screenshot_20200814-235727.jpg

samgar

Jun 3, 2013
Midlothian, VA
Makes sense, thanks for your reply and good luck!

samgar

Jun 3, 2013
Midlothian, VA
Hello Dev:

In my main listening room, I have GIK Acoustics bass absorber panels behind my speakers and that really helps. I highly recommend checking out GIK. They have a good quality product for a fair price and have an excellent customer service operation.

Dev.R

Aug 6, 2020
Hi everyone, hope you are all safe and sound.
An update in my system. Added a Symphonic Line Kraft 250 power amp to drive the Avalons and ohh boy couldn't be happier.
Now searching for a good pre amp since my Conrad Johnson CT5 has 800ohms output impedance and lack dynamics.
Cheers and happy listening
Dev

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing