Bayz Audio Counterpoint 2.0 >>>>Rhapsody.Audio

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
These speakers fascinate me. Can someone explain to me their mode of action

I can Steve.

Being an engineer, I read Zoltan's Ingenious patent before I bought mine. For the bass, the two woofers fire upward and downward into the "C" shaped hollow carbon fibre tube and are offset 180 degrees, which will dramatically increase the bass response, while at the same time cancelling the mechanical artifacts of the drivers. This C shaped tube has two rear firing ports for yet further improved bass response.

Using a 1st order crossover at 2k is where the magic REALLY starts! And where Zoltan's design separates from the all the rest.

Located in the centre front of the speaker, the dual diaphragm Bayz Radial Speaker (BRS) takes over, (which is the subject of his patent)

This ingenious dual membrane driver uses two magnetic gaps, into which the edges of the forward and rear firing cylindrical membranes are suspended. Due to the brilliant geometry (the gaps are 180 degrees apart and perpendicular to the main listening axis) the two membranes are cylindrical and approximately 270 degrees from edge to edge which are joined in the magnetic gap and are essentially pulsing, physically growing in diameter in response to the musical signal input to the magnets. (Did I mention the word ingenious...;-))

What is amazing is the area of these two cylinders is on the order of 50 to 100 times that of a standard 3/4 or 1" tweeter with comparable liner excursion!! Not a Ribbon, not a DD, not anything similar.

FWIW I sold my Rockport Cygnus and bought the Courantes after hearing the bigger Counterpoints at AXPONA.

FINALLY I have uploaded an animation that Zoltan shared with me recently visually describing the BRS for those who are interested.

Here's the link showing the BRS 2.0 diaphragm configuration and movement

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8aza4s0p7314dde/membrane_activemovement_anim_06_1080p_final.mov?dl=0

Last edited:

Zoltan Bay

Industry Expert
Mar 7, 2020
These speakers fascinate me. Can someone explain to me their mode of action

The Bayz Audio loudspeakers represents a complete re-thinking of traditional speakers by utilizing the patented Bay Radial Speaker (BRS), a unique “radial tweeter” design and the unic low mass cabinet.

The BRS radial tweeter was developed as an idealized way of providing a singular, phase coherent pulse and vanishing distortion much lower than other tweeter designs. The BRS tweeter is actually a cylindrical membrane made from a proprietary ultra-light material which creates sound by pulsating in the direction of radiation.

The custom designed woofer was chosen for its amazing speed and unique magnetics. Both on and off axis frequency response of the BRS Loudspeaker are extremely linear throughout its full 360 degrees of radiation. The upper cut-off frequency of the BRS is 50kHz where the radiation characteristic is still circular. The crossover frequency is over 2kHz , 6dB for the best impulse response. The BRS enclosure is made entirely of carbon fiber lined with a proprietary dampening compound. The air flow inside the box is aerodynamically designed, laminar. Lightweight cabinets do not store energy like high weight MDF boxes.

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
The Bayz Audio loudspeakers represents a complete re-thinking of traditional speakers by utilizing the patented Bay Radial Speaker (BRS), a unique “radial tweeter” design and the unic low mass cabinet.

The BRS radial tweeter was developed as an idealized way of providing a singular, phase coherent pulse and vanishing distortion much lower than other tweeter designs. The BRS tweeter is actually a cylindrical membrane made from a proprietary ultra-light material which creates sound by pulsating in the direction of radiation.

The custom designed woofer was chosen for its amazing speed and unique magnetics. Both on and off axis frequency response of the BRS Loudspeaker are extremely linear throughout its full 360 degrees of radiation. The upper cut-off frequency of the BRS is 50kHz where the radiation characteristic is still circular. The crossover frequency is over 2kHz , 6dB for the best impulse response. The BRS enclosure is made entirely of carbon fiber lined with a proprietary dampening compound. The air flow inside the box is aerodynamically designed, laminar. Lightweight cabinets do not store energy like high weight MDF boxes.

Zoltan

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that the forward listening axis corresponds to "-90" on the polar diagram?

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada

Beachman

Mar 20, 2020
A quick note: the woofer work in phase; that is, both cones move outward simultaneously. While one cone moves upward, the other cone moves downward. The force cancels but the sound pressure level doubles. That’s one reason why the speakers don’t need spikes: the forces cancel out.

Reactions: infinitely baffled

Beachman

Mar 20, 2020
Continued: in practice, the spikes help level the speakers because of uneven floors/carpets and decouple floor vibration going into the speakers., not the other way around.

A quick note about the surreal sound; we’ve become so acclimated to monopole sound from speakers, we think this is normal, it is not. Most musical sources are omni or at least, very wide angle. I speculate that is why so many musicians go crazy for Bayz Audio. The other reason may be the incredible speed as musicians are especially in tune with timing: impulse, decay, speed, and dynamics.

Beachman

Mar 20, 2020
Steve: the impedance is extremely flat from 200Hz on up to 50 kHz with absolutely flat phase. Consequently, the speakers work well with tube or SS.

Zoltan Bay

Industry Expert
Mar 7, 2020
Thank you. So they are reasonably easy to drive

Best of luck on your speaker Zoltán. Next time I am in NYC I must stop at Rhapsody for a listen

is there anything special in the setup of the speakers

It need about one meter minimum from the back wall, nothing else special. Of course you should fine the optimal listening place, but very easy to move becouse the low mass.

Zoltan Bay

Industry Expert
Mar 7, 2020
Thank you. So they are reasonably easy to drive

Best of luck on your speaker Zoltán. Next time I am in NYC I must stop at Rhapsody for a listen

is there anything special in the setup of the speakers

Thank you, I hope it will be soon, not least because of the virus situation.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing