Bayz Audio Counterpoint 2.0 >>>>Rhapsody.Audio

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
Those big red horns sound great ;)
Wow, now THAT would be a VERY interesting to compare and contrast the Courantes to those horns!!

Last edited:
Reactions: infinitely baffled

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I thought it funny that you can only see the red horns in a video of Bayz

Beachman

Mar 20, 2020
What’s your role at Bayz Audio?

Hi John57. My role at Bayz Audio is consultant, both technical and marketing. This is very broad and covers new products/designs, proper installations, target markets, presenting at exhibitions, and other miscellaneous tasks including English translations (although Zoltan's English is very good and his German and native Hungarian languages are excellent). I hope this answers your question. If not, please let me know if I can be of assistance.

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
Wow, now THAT would be a VERY interesting to compare and contrast the Courantes to those horns!!
Zoltan
Any chance someone could comment on the Courantes vs the horns? Enquiring minds want to know!

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Hi John57. My role at Bayz Audio is consultant, both technical and marketing. This is very broad and covers new products/designs, proper installations, target markets, presenting at exhibitions, and other miscellaneous tasks including English translations (although Zoltan's English is very good and his German and native Hungarian languages are excellent). I hope this answers your question. If not, please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Thanks mate. Appreciate the clarity and precision here.

Beachman

Mar 20, 2020
Zoltan
Any chance someone could comment on the Courantes vs the horns? Enquiring minds want to know!

Having not auditioned the speakers shown in the picture, Bayz Audio has no “hands on” experience to share. It’s comparing “apples-and-oranges” and will largely depend on personal preference.

Reactions: Rhapsody

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Nice! If ever there exists a place to indulge in the joy of hearing the not-so-common, esoteric, artfully crafted fineries of this hobby, Bob’s Rhapsody is the place. Looking forward to an opportunity to visit again.

Reactions: ALF and Rhapsody

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
We would have fun if you get to come back here!

Reactions: ALF and Bobvin

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
So there are these types of speakers and their variations
Traditional box type
Electrostatic
Open Baffle
Omni-directional
Horn

The BayzAudio designs fit the Omni-directional set. We typically have models in our minds how each of these sounds.

From the review, the sound signature is attached. We don’t have a baseline across different power amp supplies reports yet. And there’s a question raised of subtlety vs forward presentation or the ability to do both. This might be room related too.

I appreciate this experience report for raising counterpoints. It’s in this way we stop hubris forming. Like I’ve seen before with Mola Mola and Lampizator for examples.

Thanks for posting this. The new Courant design sounds a worthwhile upgrade. 15843C49-C9AF-4FB2-9BB5-D76FCFA46431.png

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Traditional box type
Electrostatic
Open Baffle
Omni-directional
Horn

The BayzAudio designs fit the Omni-directional set. We typically have models in our minds how each of these sounds.

From the review, these Bayz speakers have a forward sound presentation. We don’t have a baseline across different power amp supplies reports yet. And there’s a question raised of subtlety vs forward presentation or the ability to do both. This might be room related too.

I appreciate this experience report for raising counterpoints. It’s in this way we stop hubris forming. Like I’ve seen before with Mola Mola and Lampizator for examples.

Thanks for posting this. The new Courant design sounds a worthwhile upgrade.

With classical the Bayz are more from speaker to back and way back beyond the back wall. With Jazz they bring the musicians into the room. With pop/rock, totally recording dependent they are room encompassing with power, solidity and great transparency.

It's hard for me to describe their sound. They are pretty special.

Reactions: John57

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
With classical the Bayz are more from speaker to back and way back beyond the back wall. With Jazz they bring the musicians into the room. With pop/rock, totally recording dependent they are room encompassing with power, solidity and great transparency.

It's hard for me to describe their sound. They are pretty special.
You are helping define a new language for a new speaker design actually.

Reactions: Rhapsody

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
Traditional box type
Electrostatic
Open Baffle
Omni-directional
Horn

From the review, these Bayz speakers have a forward sound presentation. We don’t have a baseline across different power amp supplies reports yet. And there’s a question raised of subtlety vs forward presentation or the ability to do both. This might be room related too.

Thanks for posting this. The new Courante design sounds a worthwhile upgrade.

I'm not sure the use of the word 'forward' as it is traditionally used in audio, would describe the sonics of Bayz speakers. I think of tonality and projection when I hear 'forward' as a descriptor. The Bayz are not forward in these respects.

The new Courantes are indeed a significant step up from the previous design and are now much closer to the sonics of the bigger Counterpoints. The acoustic centre is now the same height for both speakers, and as a result it is now very difficult to tell the difference between the imaging characteristics of the two speakers.

Last edited:
Reactions: John57

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
You are helping define a new language for a new speaker design actually.

What either the Courante or the Counterpoint do is give back whatever the recording provides. On certain classical pieces, if recorded as such then it can be room encompassing and bringing the musicians into the room.

With a string quartet more than not the presentation is going to bring the musicians into the room.

With Jazz, same thing although with a trio or quartet the recordings usually lend to provide in room musicians and their instruments.

Again, with rock/pop totally dependent on the recording as to the type of sonic presentation that is presented.

With horns I believe they have a more forward characteristic presentation that is usually noticeable on any recording, where as with the Bayz, it can seem more room enveloping on certain recordings, but I never sense the presentation as forward.

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Bayz Audio Courante with Pilium Alexander preamp and Achilles stereo amplifier.

120200624_091506.jpg

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Bayz Audio Courante with Pilium Alexander preamp and Achilles stereo amplifier.

View attachment 67952
Question: Why do you toe the speakers in? The "driver" is radiating in 360 degrees. Perhaps you are trying to control the diffused reflection from the pipe in the rear.

Reactions: infinitely baffled

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing