VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Why are there many amps on the floor Bob. For demo purpose?
Chris just happens to have the 2A3Souga, 300B Gakuoh snd 211Kaguras. He is actually listening to the Souga through the Counterpoint at moderate volumes and loves the sound.

Reactions: bonzo75 and Tango

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Hi Bob,
How is the sound of new Gakuho?
I tried at home the previous model and i didnt like a lot,i listen also at home of 3 friends,and i didnt liked a lot from friends and then all 3 sold.
I love Kondo,i love Ongaku and Souga but was disappoinetd from gakuho
The bew are much better?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Hi Gian,

Well, it's hard to compare. Chris uses good NOS tubes in the Kagura, Souga and GakuohII. We never like any of the stock tubes. On the Diesis Roma Triode Chris prefers the Souga first, then the GakuohII and then the Kagura.

Before Chris got the Souga he preferred the GakuohII on the RT and thought it had a magic sound.

I personally have not compared the combination as when I'm in Dallas all I do is listen to the M9s:)

Reactions: Zeotrope and Bobvin

Emperyan

Oct 11, 2020
Hi everybody,

it´s been about two years now that I have lived with the Courantes and I am still super happy with them. I feel absolutely no urge to upgrade speakers anymore, anytime soon. I have been playing around with electronics, room optimization etc. during the two years and I am slowly entering the "ridicilously great sound" level. Of course, everything is adjusted to my personal taste and that might not be everyone else´s. But I hardly ever hear anything at shows or dealers which makes me lacking - no matter the price of the systems. Of course, there are speakers which are better in isolated disciplines, but in terms of overall package I would not switch. In the past, listening to high end systems made me kinda feel bad about my own system at home. Not anymore!

Most of what´s still slightly off is caused by the room (there are limits as it´s not a dedicated listening room). That´s namely excess reverb on some specific fequencies and a tad bit of too much sharp high frequency energy with compressed/bad recordings (I am super sensitive to this). I know my room is prone for that - it did it with all previous speakers as well. I guess more diffusion would be needed. But my partner does not allow for it. ;-)

Greetings to all!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That is a wonderful report! Thank you for letting us know!

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Hi Gian,

Well, it's hard to compare. Chris uses good NOS tubes in the Kagura, Souga and GakuohII. We never like any of the stock tubes. On the Diesis Roma Triode Chris prefers the Souga first, then the GakuohII and then the Kagura.

Before Chris got the Souga he preferred the GakuohII on the RT and thought it had a magic sound.

I personally have not compared the combination as when I'm in Dallas all I do is listen to the M9s:)
Hi Bob, what 2A3 tubes does Chris recommend for the Souga?

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Hi everybody,

it´s been about two years now that I have lived with the Courantes and I am still super happy with them. I feel absolutely no urge to upgrade speakers anymore, anytime soon. I have been playing around with electronics, room optimization etc. during the two years and I am slowly entering the "ridicilously great sound" level. Of course, everything is adjusted to my personal taste and that might not be everyone else´s. But I hardly ever hear anything at shows or dealers which makes me lacking - no matter the price of the systems. Of course, there are speakers which are better in isolated disciplines, but in terms of overall package I would not switch. In the past, listening to high end systems made me kinda feel bad about my own system at home. Not anymore!

Most of what´s still slightly off is caused by the room (there are limits as it´s not a dedicated listening room). That´s namely excess reverb on some specific fequencies and a tad bit of too much sharp high frequency energy with compressed/bad recordings (I am super sensitive to this). I know my room is prone for that - it did it with all previous speakers as well. I guess more diffusion would be needed. But my partner does not allow for it. ;-)

Greetings to all!
Re: sibilance and reverb: you may want to look at channel balance and cables, aside from room treatments or the playback components.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Hi Bob, what 2A3 tubes does Chris recommend for the Souga?
He is using RCA Cunningham Logo, single plate 1935 Date Codes. $2500/matched quad

Reactions: Zeotrope

Emperyan

Oct 11, 2020
Re: sibilance and reverb: you may want to look at channel balance and cables, aside from room treatments or the playback components.
Do you really think cables can make that much of a difference?

My room has an unfortunate combination of characteristics. On the one hand it´s sucking out the region around 100-200Hz, where the warm body of voices lives and another suckout from 700-900Hz. And in addition to that, it´s significantly boosting 1000-1500Hz. This combination thins out voices and puts them in front. I can correct those with Acourate quite well and it works great, except for that the 1000-1500 Hz region now still holds more reverb energy in relation to direct energy.
Overall reverb time in my room is highest from 2000-7000Hz (though on moderate levels). And this is what´s hard to fix in addition to the 1000-1500Hz level fix. It still leaves me with some wall bouncing sound pressure from 1000-7000Hz. Even though the overall loudness levels are flat and in balance after the correction, the frequency range from 1000-7000 shows a significantly higher relation of reverb to direct sound than the areas below and above.
I have no idea how to improve this except with specific room treatment. I also don´t want to overdampen the room. So I guess diffusion would be the way to go, but hard to install in a living room.

Don´t get me wrong - this is already on a good level. Basically every hotel room in shows I have ever heard had way bigger problems than what I am still facing. But I am a perfectionist in this regard. I want to get it completely right! ;-)

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Do you really think cables can make that much of a difference?

My room has an unfortunate combination of characteristics. On the one hand it´s sucking out the region around 100-200Hz, where the warm body of voices lives and another suckout from 700-900Hz. And in addition to that, it´s significantly boosting 1000-1500Hz. This combination thins out voices and puts them in front. I can correct those with Acourate quite well and it works great, except for that the 1000-1500 Hz region now still holds more reverb energy in relation to direct energy.
Overall reverb time in my room is highest from 2000-7000Hz (though on moderate levels). And this is what´s hard to fix in addition to the 1000-1500Hz level fix. It still leaves me with some wall bouncing sound pressure from 1000-7000Hz. Even though the overall loudness levels are flat and in balance after the correction, the frequency range from 1000-7000 shows a significantly higher relation of reverb to direct sound than the areas below and above.
I have no idea how to improve this except with specific room treatment. I also don´t want to overdampen the room. So I guess diffusion would be the way to go, but hard to install in a living room.

Don´t get me wrong - this is already on a good level. Basically every hotel room in shows I have ever heard had way bigger problems than what I am still facing. But I am a perfectionist in this regard. I want to get it completely right! ;-)
I fully can relate to your last statement!
A good room acoustics consultant could be very beneficial.
Can a cable make that much of a difference? Yes, unfortunately! But first start with room treatment. The cables can come later, if required. Just use good quality mid-priced AC and interconnects and speaker cables and then adjust later if required.

Emperyan

Oct 11, 2020
Hello,

I have just noticed in this video that there seems to be a switch on the back of newer Courantes:

Does anybody know what it does?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Hello,

I have just noticed in this video that there seems to be a switch on the back of newer Courantes:

Does anybody know what it does?
It is a high frequency boost, for rooms that are over dampened.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am looking forward finally to hearing these speakers!

Will you have any vinyl playing?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I am looking forward finally to hearing these speakers!

Will you have any vinyl playing?
No vinyl at the show.....files only.

Bob in Portland and Chris in Texas both have vinyl playing with Bayz Counterpoint at their locations, as do I.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Ron, if you want to hear these speakers in a proper environment you should come to Portland where their full potential can be realized. I recently moved them back to the listening room after spending a couple months with Alsyvox Botticelli X and I’m continually amazed by their sound. It is very easy to understand why some people love an Omni directional presentation, particularly when done at this level.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zoltan Bay

Zoltan Bay

Industry Expert
Mar 7, 2020
We invite you to Munich for the Hifideluxe show held at the same time as the High-End show. Our presentation will be in the "Livingroom" room of the Marriott hotel.
1683285634306.png

Attachments

• hifideluxe2023kezdokep.jpg
    hifideluxe2023kezdokep.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Rhapsody

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing