BB King passes... we have lost another!

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
RIP BB King.

If your a true Music Lover, a good question is: Who doesn't have a BB King LP in their collection?

He will be greatly missed, May God Bless...

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I attended a BB King Concert at the Doral Hotel in Miami Beach sometime in the 80's, and got the nerve to try and visit him backstage after the show. There were no groupies, security, or handlers. I simply knocked on his dressing room door and he invited me in. He was unbelievably humble and kind and we spoke for about 20 minutes on music and of course, stereo. I asked him what he played at home and it ranged from Robert Johnson to the Stones. As to what he played it on, he had no idea as "some friend set the damn thing up". I left on cloud nine as if I had been ordained by the man himself. Wonderful man.

Nothing can diminish his legacy so I will take this opportunity to encourage readers to hear one of the two greatest living blues guitarists on the planet. The first is Buddy Whittington, who held the esteemed guitar chair in the John Mayall Band for 10 years (2003-2013) and who has recently gone out on his own. He doesn't tour much, but if you can, don't miss him. He is from Ft. Worth so most commonly can be seen playing somewhere in Texas. If you're talking Texas style Blues guitar, nobody can touch him, at least not since the death of SRV. The other unbelievable guitarist to check out is Melvin Taylor, who is the epitome of the Chicago Blues style of playing. Melvin tours somewhat (I saw him in Telluride 2 years ago), but his home base is the humble Rosa's Lounge in Chicago, where he plays with some regularity (next is June 19/20). When he does play, the all the great blues cognescenti and players of Chicago all come out of the woodworks to listen and sometimes join him on stage spontaneously (most notably Sugar Blue- harmonica player of legend). What is suprising to me, is that his guitar doesn't spontaneously self-combust and burn Rosa's to the ground every time he plays. Yes, I exaggerate a little, but believe me, his playing does not.

Both of these guys will never be as well known as BB King, but they currently define the pinnacle of blues guitar playing and are highly worth seeing in person.

Thanks, Marty. I will now be on the look out for Buddy and Melvin.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Nice tribute to BB King from the hosts of The Voice. Well done by Christina on vocals and Adam:

Nice to focus on the happiness that the King brought and continues to bring this way. The thrill is definitely not gone! Here is another version of it than the one Gary post:

OK, so the four still can't match that :).

How about posting some of your memorable videos?

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Not even remotely close!
And nothing makes me stop a video quicker than a singer that does the hand thing on the mic. And she even does the pinky thing. Instant irritation, instant stop of the video. Don't know why it bugs me so, but it does.
Roger Daltrey had mic skills! ;)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Y
Not even remotely close!
And nothing makes me stop a video quicker than a singer that does the hand thing on the mic. And she even does the pinky thing. Instant irritation, instant stop of the video. Don't know why it bugs me so, but it does.
Roger Daltrey had mic skills! ;)

Mike

I totally agree. That drives me crazy too. Seems on all of the TV shows such as the Voice and Idol that all the wannabe singers do that. Don't know why it irks me as well but it does

caesar

May 30, 2010
Read the NYT Obit: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/16/a....html?emc=edit_na_20150515&nlid=47717510&_r=1

It ends: "...“Growing up on the plantation there in Mississippi, I would work Monday through Saturday noon,” he said. “I’d go to town on Saturday afternoons, sit on the street corner, and I’d sing and play.

“I’d have me a hat or box or something in front of me. People that would request a gospel song would always be very polite to me, and they’d say: ‘Son, you’re mighty good. Keep it up. You’re going to be great one day.’ But they never put anything in the hat.

“But people that would ask me to sing a blues song would always tip me and maybe give me a beer. They always would do something of that kind. Sometimes I’d make 50 or 60 dollars one Saturday afternoon. Now you know why I’m a blues singer.”

Sweet little Angel
At Sing Sing
Rock me Baby
Why I sing the Blues

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
“I’d have me a hat or box or something in front of me. People that would request a gospel song would always be very polite to me, and they’d say: ‘Son, you’re mighty good. Keep it up. You’re going to be great one day.’ But they never put anything in the hat.

“But people that would ask me to sing a blues song would always tip me and maybe give me a beer. They always would do something of that kind. Sometimes I’d make 50 or 60 dollars one Saturday afternoon. Now you know why I’m a blues singer.” Why I sing the Blues
What a great story. Thanks for posting it.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Very sad news to wake up to this morning...... RIP B.B. King. You made my life richer for the music you gave us.

The Thrill is Gone. One of my favourite performances of this anthem seems appropriate at this time.

Thanks, B.B.
Great vid, Gary.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing