BD Designs Horn Speakers

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Could be it was me who told you that the first pair of Swings (MkI) was voiced on WE91 300B amp. I bought them off the guy who worked together with Bert on them, they were later improved to MkII with outboard MkII crossover and changed bass system.

Need to find some of the pics I did earlier. My room is currently messy and not not fit for photos :)

Hi yes welcome to this forum. Btw I am now the owner of your Tatic 801a 4 watt amp, though I haven't heard it yet but will do some compares once the vaccinations happen

anubisgrau

Mar 2, 2015
Ah, nice to hear. These are very good amps, I regret for selling them. In some ways better than Thomas Mayer 300B I have but overall a different sound. Utterly clean and transparent.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

Don Reid

VIP/Donor
Nov 14, 2020
Bill, were you bothered by plastic coloration with the BD design speakers?

My DIY fully horn loaded three way speakers use Bert's Oris 150 horns driven by AER BD3 drivers. I love them.
I originally used Cary audio 2a3 SET monoblocks to amplify the Oris horns and Fostex T900a bullet tweeters of my tri-amplified speakers then I bought a First Watt F3 single ended, single gain stage, class A, JFET output devices stereo amp. I liked its sound so well I bought a second one and replaced the 2a3 SETs.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
The Klein Horn works pretty well with Fostex FE 206/Lowther DX 55 or AER BD models,
Only thing you have to measure and set 1- 2 active notch filters the best thing is between preamp and poweramp. then you get a result that is worth seeing and listening to.
you can see the documentation here

kleinhorn1.png kleinhorn11.png

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Bill, were you bothered by plastic coloration with the BD design speakers?

My DIY fully horn loaded three way speakers use Bert's Oris 150 horns driven by AER BD3 drivers. I love them.
I originally used Cary audio 2a3 SET monoblocks to amplify the Oris horns and Fostex T900a bullet tweeters of my tri-amplified speakers then I bought a First Watt F3 single ended, single gain stage, class A, JFET output devices stereo amp. I liked its sound so well I bought a second one and replaced the 2a3 SETs.

Hi Don,

Sorry for this horribly late reply - I just saw you had asked a question after this thread went “active” again. Yes the plastic colouration of the BD was what ultimately got me started on my pursuits. Terrific in many ways but clearly there and enough to disturb me.

Reactions: mr-particle

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
The Klein Horn works pretty well with Fostex FE 206/Lowther DX 55 or AER BD models,
Only thing you have to measure and set 1- 2 active notch filters the best thing is between preamp and poweramp. then you get a result that is worth seeing and listening to.

View attachment 83725 View attachment 83726

Yeah would be fun to build some of these if I had space. It amazed me the actual frequency response, in particular absence of bass, without being equalised AND adding the gigantic “el pipo” sub woofers despite such huge backloaded horns. Just shows that physics are physics lol.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Yes. Space problem I only have a ceiling height of 7.5 I need 10 feet. then I would have built myself. El Pipo is like a throat tube in modern cinemas.physics;)

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Yes. Space problem I only have a ceiling height of 7.5 I need 10 feet. then I would have built myself. El Pipo is like a throat tube in modern cinemas.physics;)
I keep dreaming of retiring to a country residence with a couple of massive barns for this purpose. Maybe one day!

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az

View attachment 83725 View attachment 83726
How much would this beautiful horn cost?

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
How much would this beautiful horn cost?
only available as a do-it-yourself, wood is very expensive at the moment I would say 1000 € with cutting and processing. then you need two good full-range speakers around € 750-1300. someone who has mastered measurement and electronic circuitry.
until it is finished with the desired paintwork, for example € 3500-4000. then you have a unique piece according to your wishes.

Reactions: sujay and carolus

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I would NOT call it beautiful :eek: :D
Perhaps waf may play in here :eek: may work in better in a converted industrial loft. I do love a big set of horns tho.

Reactions: Argonaut

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing