Being inside the horn, listening room as giant bass horn.

dustman

Mar 3, 2022
So I've been dreaming of building a true 20hz bass horn, and had the thought, why not have the horn itself be the listening room, be inside the horn? Any drawbacks to this? The idea is to have the walls and ceiling expand from the sound source(an approximation of a concical horn) at whatever rate determined by loading the drivers to 20 hz, and terminating the horn at whatever size is necessary to give enough room for the listening area, the rear wall being a very deep acoustical absorber/diffuser.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Well any of the corner folded horn systems that extended the bass horn using the room boundaries did essentially the same thing. Think K Horn and JBL Hartsfield.

Rob :)

Reactions: carolus

dustman

Mar 3, 2022
Well any of the corner folded horn systems that extended the bass horn using the room boundaries did essentially the same thing. Think K Horn and JBL Hartsfield.

The reason I like this idea is that there would be no perturbations from the room, or distortions from a truncated horn, and almost all the energy would be absorbed at the back wall, so no reflections. At least that's how I'm envisioning it.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
The reason I like this idea is that there would be no perturbations from the room, or distortions from a truncated horn, and almost all the energy would be absorbed at the back wall, so no reflections. At least that's how I'm envisioning it.

You are going to need some serious absorbers/baffling to go all the way down!

schlager

May 7, 2015
Denmark
You don't have reflections per say in the bass. You have standing waves and/or room modes. These are very hard to suppress with acoustic absorption. Active bass cancellation works much better.

Would the horn itself protrude outside the room and then the horn mouth will be the room? Guess I can't make a clear image in my head, on how you will make this bass horn.

I have a rather big bass horn 3000 liters (around 115 ft3), with 4 x 15" drivers. It goes straight to 25 hz, with some room gain only -6 dB at 20hz.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I own a pair of vintage corner horns in the bass presentation in my room has never been better. I only get to the mid to low 30s, but the quality sounds very natural to me. Of course it has to do with aspects of the rest of the system as well, but with the folded horn and corner placement loading, that 15 inch driver does wonders. The bass is also very well integrated with the mid and upper horn unit.

• Love
Reactions: Scott Naylor

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
So I've been dreaming of building a true 20hz bass horn, and had the thought, why not have the horn itself be the listening room, be inside the horn? Any drawbacks to this? The idea is to have the walls and ceiling expand from the sound source(an approximation of a concical horn) at whatever rate determined by loading the drivers to 20 hz, and terminating the horn at whatever size is necessary to give enough room for the listening area, the rear wall being a very deep acoustical absorber/diffuser.
there are some folks doing this, I've seen pics of a guy in Japan with horns coming in from outside his house ending in the corners of his living room, someone I recall in France with two Huge folded horns entering his living and someone in the UK with horns in the basement entering his living also...
problematic with 20Hz might be that you need some distance to accomodate it.

some can be found in this thread I believe:
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...-how-they-sound-and-issues-with-sonics.25071/

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott Naylor

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing