Belfast

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Kenneth Branaugh's autobiographical labor of love will definitely be a year's top 10.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
We saw it yesterday. It has been hyped as movie of the year. For Cathy and I it was a 6.8.
it was so so

i couldn’t figure out why all the music was from Van Morrison. After, a search showed him to be a Irish and lived in Belfast

to me the better story would have been about the IRA and the fighting in those days. They were troubled times

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
We saw it yesterday. It has been hyped as movie of the year. For Cathy and I it was a 6.8.
it was so so

i couldn’t figure out why all the music was from Van Morrison. After, a search showed him to be a Irish and lived in Belfast

to me the better story would have been about the IRA and the fighting in those days. They were troubled times
Agree. Mediocre, over-hyped movie. However, Jude Hill was superb and Caitriona Balfe could easily get a best actress nod.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013

I spent 3 years alternating between Belfast (Brit) and Dublin( Republic ) in the 60's as a freelance Photojournalist for the Irish Times Newspaper.

My recollection of Belfast is a depressing, cold, miserable place to put down ones roots--apologies to any Ulster folks present:rolleyes:!

Yes I've seen the Riots,troops in the streets.burning vehicles /etc--and some sights I won't repeat here--

Hope I never see anything similar before I pass this earth!

Yes I knew Van the man at that time -he was big with the local/student crowd with his band Them( Here comes the Night) his was not the norm

however as the Music scene there was towards BIG up to 20 member "Show Bands" with Routines ala cabaret/etc--some were very good--Joe

Dolan and the Mighty Avons for one --boy could he thrash out a tune!

Re the Movies portraying the Troubles --yes there are many out there-some authentic some pure Hollywood Dosh:(

My pic would be the UKTV Series Harry's Game and for Films The Crying Game and In the Name of the Father.

I probably won't see the Branagh Film--I 'd prefer to remember my time in Ireland with Alan Parker's The Commitments

At least one feels good after coming out of that :D!

BruceD

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Loved Belfast - Ciaran Hinds should be a shoe-in for supporting actor. Has all the elements to win best picture, much better than Power of the Dog (the other favorite).

Still want to see Licorice Pizza when available to stream

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing