Bellari Sonic Exciter or EQ?

mm0419

Jun 18, 2021
As a hip-hop head, but by no means a bass-head, I want to gently boost the low end response of my Dali Spektor 2 speakers. Should I go with the Bellari Sonic Exciter or the EQ? Is there any measurable difference in sound quality between the two? Is it worth the extra few bucks for the equalizer?

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I would say it depends on what you already have in your system. Bear in mind that an equalizer or the Bellari Sonic Exciter will not emphasize your Spektor 2 directly and will only boost what is already in your audio setup. To a large degree what you can hear from the speakers is the result of the synergy between separate audio components in your audio system. Much of the job is done before the sound reaches your speakers. There is not really that much you can do with the speakers per se without redesigning them yourself. You can place your old ones in the corner of the room. Thanks to the room acoustics the bass will be accentuated. However, the best solution is to work on the other products in your audio system.

Sonic Exciter can enhance a phono stage (also directly from your TT if it has built-in phono section), a pre-amp (it can also be used as a stand-alone preamp) or boost an amp having an effect on the whole system. Regarding equalizer did you have anything particular in mind? You can go for software or hardware EQ. How many bands were you thinking of?

If you are starting from a software EQ, set the low-pass filter to reduce/cut out higher frequencies of the low end notes and redesign it using resonance filters and amplitude envelopes. This way you will not only cut off the higher frequencies, but also add some depth to your lows. It is important to remember that boosting bass can be done a) through hardware and software b) passive or active EQ c) by enhancing low end or reducing higher frequencies e) through digital equalization or filters in the analogue domain

Please, bear in mind that a slight bass boost will not do any harm to your speakers, but bass boost at high volume can damage your speakers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing