belt driven CD transports compared to direct drive transports

antipodes

Apr 29, 2022
I would like to know if any of the members have the opportunity to evaluate a belt drive CD transport and compare it with a direct drive transport? If so how well did the belt drive perform?

Thanking you in anticipation

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
I think or I guess belt drive is better , I have belt drive CEC TL0 3.0 and it is the best transport I have heard.
CEC TL0 3.0 is far better than all other transports but I do not know why?
maybe belt drive is the reason, maybe the suspension is the reason, maybe the output circuit is the reason, maybe the psu is the reason , I do not know

Reactions: audio.bill and ddk

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Belt-driven drives are less susceptible to motor quality, as it is mechanically decoupled (for vibrations) from the disc. On the other hand, the belt is something that requires some maintenance from time to time.
I think it's hard to draw deeper conclusions, as the rest of the CD circuits will dominate the sound signature anyway.
My 2 cents.

rrobz

Jun 18, 2016
In my experience, it is very hard to draw definitive conclusions just based on the concept of belt drive v. conventional (calling conventional transports "direct drive" just sounds odd to me). As to belt drive, I have owned both the CEC TL-1x and the TL-0 (which I currently own). As to conventional transports, I have owned probably a dozen over the (unfortunately now many) years, including (among the high end) the Altis Centauri (really underrated), the Stahl Tek, the Esoteric D1, as well as using a Soulution 541 as a transport.

The sound of the CEC TL0 and TL1x bear very little relation to each other, comparatively, for components from the same house. The TL1x was warm, rich, and a bit fuzzy / lacking in ultimate detail. The TL0 by contrast. is clinical, highly resolving, but definitely less warm. If I can point to any overarching commonality, it would be a stability in the midbass.

Frustratingly, however, I have found myself drawn to belt drive regardless, but damned if I could explain why. So taking your ultimate question, yes, belt drive transports (a very small set of the universe of the transports) can certainly compete with conventional transports. If you pick up a TL0, I highly doubt you will be disappointed.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing