Benchmark 3 HGC DAC/ PREAMP

Rshaw

Jun 19, 2021
Does anyone have any background with this DAC/preamp/ I am considering adding this to my system. Peachtree amp 500/new predac preamp also from Peachtree. Double Impact speakers and audiolab 6000CDT Also stream Amazon HD via USB from Computer. Was told it would make an exceptional preamp/DAC , better than current preamp. However, just wondering if paired with the peachtree set up in a pure DAC only mode what the sonic benefits would be, or not be? Any assistance would be great. Thanks Robert TN

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
If you plan to control the volume with a component other than the Benchmark, the DAC3B sounds a tiny bit better yet and costs less. The DAC3B does away with the headphone output and volume controls of HGC and is thus a simpler circuit with less demands on the power supply. I have owned both units and currently use the DAC3B in my desktop system. See the description of this system here.

Rshaw

Jun 19, 2021
Thank you very much for taking the time and the fast response. Your system is quite impressive as is your knowledge of the topic. My dilemma is, and thank you for the suggestion of the DAC3B as an alternative. I was trying to ascertain if sonically, it would be better to run the DAC as a preamp (bettering my current Peachtree PreDac???) Where as I would need the volume control (preamp features ) Your suggestion of the DAC3b was using my current set up and simply adding the DAC feature of the DAC3B, which by the way would be the way to go if I chose that fork in the road. Not sure which path to choose? Thanks so much for your insight and knowledge. Robert TN Ps Your way, due to the Peachtree configuration, I would be using analogue RCA's from the DAC to RCA on my Peachtree preamp The DAC3 HGC as preamp would be balanced connection to my AMP and a direct digital connection from the CD transport and computer USB to the DAC3HGC Hope this helps. Thanks

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
Well, if I were you and could afford the Benchmark DAC3 HGC, I would ditch the Peachtree. The Benchmark would be a far better preamp and has headphone output, analog and digital inputs, and unbalanced and balanced analog outputs. The unit is quite transparent, both digitally and in the analog domain.

If your budget is even larger, you could add the Benchmark HPA4 and have even more transparent control of volume and a yet better headphone amp, but the cost is high at $3,000. See my review here. My review of the Benchmark DAC3DX and HGC starts here.

While in my speaker-based system, I have moved on from the Benchmark equipment, I did that not because of any sonic dissatisfaction, but in an effort to vastly simplify the system while maintaining or even improving the resulting sound. I still have the greatest respect for the Benchmark DAC, especially as implemented in the DAC3 HGC and DAC3B versions. The fact that I love the sound of the DAC3B driving the best sounding and most transparent electrostatic headphones I've ever heard shows my continued respect for the Benchmark equipment.

Dasign

Mar 20, 2018
I have owned the Benchmark DAC3 HGC as a DAC/preamp combo. As tmallin explained, it is a great sounding and versatile device (digital/analog). I’ve added the Benchmark LA4 Line stage preamplifier a few months later, which was a sonical upgrade (better volume control, low level detail retrieval and smoother sound). For the money, Benchmark products are really well built and sound great. I have owned all of the Benchmark DACs (DAC1, DAC2 HGC, and DAC3 HGC) and never had any issues.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing