Berkeley Design Alpha 2 DAC why doesn't it work with MacBook Air

TommyTunes

Jan 16, 2012
Alpharetta
I have tried for four days straight to get through to them and can't reach anyone. I can not get the DAC to recognize an HDCD bit stream using a MacBook Air. Anyone have an answer?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Tom, I have escalated your case to them and asked them to call you. They have changed systems and such and communication has been spotty but they have responded to me.

For now, HDCD only works if the pathway applies no processing at all. Volume has to be max, no resampling, etc. What is the player you are using?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I just heard from Michael at Berkeley. He apologized and said he is in a remote area until the 8th without internet access. He said he will contact you then.

For now, I suspect the pipeline is somehow different on Air. Are you using Aamara there too?

TommyTunes

Jan 16, 2012
Alpharetta
I had it on the Air and then uninstalled it. I have tried everything. Thanks I'll wait unroll he calls, in the mean time I'll continue using the Pro

TommyTunes

Jan 16, 2012
Alpharetta
Thanks for your help Amir, I was able to speak with Berkeley on Friday. Unfortunately the Mac Air is a different product from Mac's and they didn't have a solution so I'll just use my Mac Pro. Speaking with them did convince me to add the Alpha USB. So I guess I'll be spending more money to increase the performance of a really incredible DAC even further.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
My pleasure. You are definitely on the right path. Once you get a proper USB adapter, you are essentially decoupled from vagaries of the source PC/Mac driving the DAC. For that reason, I make that "upgrade" first before I even upgrade DACs! Getting a clean signal to a DAC improves its fidelity as it doesn't have as hard of a job extracting the audio sample timings and keeping things from bleeding into the DAC.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing