Best Audio Options for iPhone?

iPhoneAudio

Jan 29, 2023
Hello from Maryland, first visit here. I listen to most music through my cell phone's speaker, playlists from utoob and so on. As you know, the audio falls well short of high-fidelity. I'm out in the boonies so all internet comes via my phone's hot spot connection. I would really like a full-fledged component system, so here finally is the question: How do I get the music from my phone into such a system? Are there any problems associated with using a hot spot? I know my fancy new MacBook Pro laptop doesn't like the hotspot in the respect that it's very slow. Old MacBook, no problem. I'll entertain any ideas or suggestions, even if it means just going with powered speakers that work with my phone. Thanks in advance, Gerrit

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Good news!
your options are bountiful.
You can stream music from one of the major streaming services Via a cable or Bluetooth you can access a digital. stream from your phone You can also listen to you tube videos (utoob.
Many receivers come with Bluetooth Receivers and integrated amps have a dac. I recommend an outboard mobile dac. for on the go. Many receivers and integrated amps are partnered wit one of major streaming services.
You live in Maryland. Find a Best Buy with a Magnoiai store in it. They can demonstrate your options.
While i do not have any financial interest in it. you check out this forum.
Welcome to WBF.

iPhoneAudio

Jan 29, 2023
Good news!
your options are bountiful.
You can stream music from one of the major streaming services Via a cable or Bluetooth you can access a digital. stream from your phone You can also listen to you tube videos (utoob.
Many receivers come with Bluetooth Receivers and integrated amps have a dac. I recommend an outboard mobile dac. for on the go. Many receivers and integrated amps are partnered wit one of major streaming services.
You live in Maryland. Find a Best Buy with a Magnoiai store in it. They can demonstrate your options.
While i do not have any financial interest in it. you check out this forum.
Welcome to WBF.
Thank you! That’s helpful information. I checked the link and as it happens I also need to upgrade my headphones as mine took a dump on my last flight overseas. I see there’s a thread about that as well. I’ll look at my options, do some self-education. BTW what does “dac” stand for? Thanks again for the info. Gerrit

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
BTW what does dac stand for? You are clearly a neophyte. That 's okay. This is the place for you. Streams come in digital and have to be converted to analog. dac=Digital to Analog Converter. BTW for all things related to this subject check out headfi.com.

Reactions: iPhoneAudio

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Gerrit!

Welcome to WBF!

I think this is the simplest (not the best sonically) answer possible: Treat your iPhone as a source going into your receiver or integrated amplifier or line-stage preamplifier

iPhone Lightning male plug to 1/8” stereo female jack

1/8” male stereo plug on a stereo cable to male RCAs

iPhone —> Lightning adapter —> stereo cable —> line level input on receiver or integrated amplifier or line-stage preamplifier

This turns your iPhone into a new source for your stereo.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
There are some excellent Marantz AV receivers suited to this purpose.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I use my samsung phone hotspot for all my internet connections at home .
I m about 50 - 60 % per year abroad , I dont have a internet home cable connection
Its simple from my phone via wifi to my (2017 ) mac book pro which is placed on my DAC and with a short USB cable into the DAC .
All my stereo you tube streaming vids are done that way .
Whatever somebody might think of the SQ for me it works fine

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The ideal headphones for airplane travel are the SONY wh-1000x4 & x5. I have had both and actually prefer the x4. Which is available at significant discounts. Bose 35,45, and 700 ANC. Also, with excellent ANC. The Apple headphone is also highly rated. I don't know if Apple has ANC. Funny you can actually pick up the SONY at the airport. You will pay retail. These headphones also sound great at home.

iPhoneAudio

Jan 29, 2023
Hi Gerrit!

Welcome to WBF!

I think this is the simplest (not the best sonically) answer possible: Treat your iPhone as a source going into your receiver or integrated amplifier or line-stage preamplifier

iPhone Lightning male plug to 1/8” stereo female jack

1/8” male stereo plug on a stereo cable to male RCAs

iPhone —> Lightning adapter —> stereo cable —> line level input on receiver or integrated amplifier or line-stage preamplifier

This turns your iPhone into a new source for your stereo.

iPhoneAudio

Jan 29, 2023
Thanks, my iPhone SE does not have a normal audio output jack so I do need the adapter. I appreciate the link and the clear explanation about connectivity to my stereo components. I'll have to do some shopping to see what's out there. I appreciate the info. Gerrit

iPhoneAudio

Jan 29, 2023
The ideal headphones for airplane travel are the SONY wh-1000x4 & x5. I have had both and actually prefer the x4. Which is available at significant discounts. Bose 35,45, and 700 ANC. Also, with excellent ANC. The Apple headphone is also highly rated. I don't know if Apple has ANC. Funny you can actually pick up the SONY at the airport. You will pay retail. These headphones also sound great at home.
My old headphones were Sony, don't remember the model. I did have them for quite a few years so it was time to upgrade when they bit the dust. My main complaint was not the sound quality but the fact that they were not comfortable for extended use--like on a long flight. They made my ears hurt. I'll check out the ones you recommended, thanks.

iPhoneAudio

Jan 29, 2023
BTW what does dac stand for? You are clearly a neophyte. That 's okay. This is the place for you. Streams come in digital and have to be converted to analog. dac=Digital to Analog Converter. BTW for all things related to this subject check out headfi.com.
Hahaha yes I figured I'd display my ignorance with such a question but so be it. I already know quite a bit more about the subject than before I logged onto this site. I very much appreciate the info. I'm sure I'll have some follow-up questions.

iPhoneAudio

Jan 29, 2023
I use my samsung phone hotspot for all my internet connections at home .
I m about 50 - 60 % per year abroad , I dont have a internet home cable connection
Its simple from my phone via wifi to my (2017 ) mac book pro which is placed on my DAC and with a short USB cable into the DAC .
All my stereo you tube streaming vids are done that way .
Whatever somebody might think of the SQ for me it works fine

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
My old headphones were Sony, don't remember the model. I did have them for quite a few years so it was time to upgrade when they bit the dust. My main complaint was not the sound quality but the fact that they were not comfortable for extended use--like on a long flight. They made my ears hurt. I'll check out the ones you recommended, thanks.
Everybody is different. Best Buy has the Bose nd SONY on display on the main floor. They are both very comfortable . So it is a matter of preference. As an Apple man you know you will probably have to go to the Apple store. They are Bluetooth compatible. I don't know if your iphone is.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Basically you have a little dac and amplifier in your iphone. it converts the digits to analog then amplifies so you either play across the iphone speaker or play it over your earphones, either through cable or Bluetooth. It works amazingly well. But just a small outboard dac and amp and a good set of headphones will provide a quantum improvement you will be shocked. Your iphone can also act as a primary source to your main home stereo. I would however suggest Wi fi over your Macbook would be even better.
You'll be amazed how small, powerful and relatively inexpensive the available these products currently are. Most can do double duty at home and on the go.
The headphones I recommended can work without amplification over your iphone.

iPhoneAudio

Jan 29, 2023
Basically you have a little dac and amplifier in your iphone. it converts the digits to analog then amplifies so you either play across the iphone speaker or play it over your earphones, either through cable or Bluetooth. It works amazingly well. But just a small outboard dac and amp and a good set of headphones will provide a quantum improvement you will be shocked. Your iphone can also act as a primary source to your main home stereo. I would however suggest Wi fi over your Macbook would be even better.
You'll be amazed how small, powerful and relatively inexpensive the available these products currently are. Most can do double duty at home and on the go.
The headphones I recommended can work without amplification over your iphone.
Thanks, I'm behind the curve as far as this technology goes but I'm looking forward to getting a nice system together. I may spring for an interim fix--a pair of bookshelf powered speakers but I don't see that as a long-term solution. I want bigger sound.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing