Best audiophile headphones

Should I Choose Audeze el8 Titanium or Focal Elegia?

• Total voters

Klonk

Mar 4, 2012
Has anyone here heard or owned the Raal SR1a ribbon headphone? It is an interesting design and seems to be well received.
Only very briefly at the Munich Show, together with their tube amp. I was surprise how full bodied it sounded and yet very detailed. But I just listen to two songs, which I was not familiar with. But certainly worth checking out.

Klonk

Mar 4, 2012
What’s the Blue Hawaii SE general opinion?
I can only give you my opinion. The BHS amp is a very well built machine and sounds great, but is not top of the line, even for electrostatic HP.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Only very briefly at the Munich Show, together with their tube amp. I was surprise how full bodied it sounded and yet very detailed. But I just listen to two songs, which I was not familiar with. But certainly worth checking out.
Which amp was being used here?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I can only give you my opinion. The BHS amp is a very well built machine and sounds great, but is not top of the line, even for electrostatic HP.
I assume you mean vs the T2?

It seems like the Carbon is the only BHSE competitor in that price range. Stax 8000 reviews seem pretty poor. Any other color on estat amps? what's the best value out there - below the Carbon/BHSE- is really what I'm after. I'm a potential Stax newbie and don't feel like paying up for amp yet.

Klonk

Mar 4, 2012
I assume you mean vs the T2?

It seems like the Carbon is the only BHSE competitor in that price range. Stax 8000 reviews seem pretty poor. Any other color on estat amps? what's the best value out there - below the Carbon/BHSE- is really what I'm after. I'm a potential Stax newbie and don't feel like paying up for amp yet.
yes, the T2.

Some people like Audiovalve amps for Stax, and they have some good value
models.

Brahms

Nov 11, 2020
WBF is not the best place for top level headphone feedback. few here will have any idea of what you are talking about.

the place you want to ask that question is "Headfi", on the High End 'Summit' forum. they are serious about headphone performance. here is a link;

I agree except that there seem to be more classical music listeners here. That might be one area where you might get better advice on WBF.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
What’s the Blue Hawaii SE general opinion?
I am not sure the Blue Hawaii has an opinion. OTOH i think when paired with the Stax headphones it is a dream come true.

nickif

May 17, 2013
I used to own most of the SOTA headphones on the market, after switching to speakers sold most of them…

Now I love my Airpods Max at home and AirPods Pro on the road, don’t need anything more than that for headphones. :)

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
After hearing most of the TOTL headphones at the show last weekend, I was underwhelmed (Meze Elite probably was best and super comfortable too) and picked up a used Stax 009S/8000 setup. Wasn't interested in paying more for Carbon/Blue Hawaii.

Will see how that works. I've only owned inexpensive Grados for the office over the years.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
After hearing most of the TOTL headphones at the show last weekend, I was underwhelmed (Meze Elite probably was best and super comfortable too) and picked up a used Stax 009S/8000 setup. Wasn't interested in paying more for Carbon/Blue Hawaii.

Will see how that works. I've only owned inexpensive Grados for the office over the years.
Interesting...I have read the Elite is a technically superior headphone to the original Meze Empyrean, and also particularly cleaner in the uppers. If you've heard the Empyrean, how would you compare the Elite to the Empyrean?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Interesting...I have read the Elite is a technically superior headphone to the original Meze Empyrean, and also particularly cleaner in the uppers. If you've heard the Empyrean, how would you compare the Elite to the Empyrean?
I haven’t heard any of them before.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I haven’t heard any of them before.
Understand. Thanks. I do like the original Empyrean...where my search was for something where I could relax and luxuriate in the sound very easily but where it still gave excellent technical performance if not perfect. Not everyone's goal, but that was mine and, if you ever do hear it, the Empyrean certainly achieves that for me, particularly with EAR Yoshino.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Understand. Thanks. I do like the original Empyrean...where my search was for something where I could relax and luxuriate in the sound very easily but where it still gave excellent technical performance if not perfect. Not everyone's goal, but that was mine and, if you ever do hear it, the Empyrean certainly achieves that for me, particularly with EAR Yoshino.
I preferred it to the Dan Clark Stealth, Audeze LCD5, and mid tier Hifiman /Focal.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I preferred it to the Dan Clark Stealth, Audeze LCD5, and mid tier Hifiman /Focal.
Thanks for that...and good to know. I have read about the Stealth and LCD5 but not had a chance to hear.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I used to own the BHSE and Stax 009, plus 3 KGSSHv, one being the Carbon. I moved on and up to the Abyss TC fed by my Moon 600i amp. The LCD4 out of the DAVE direct is also very good.
The Stax is too floaty, unrealistic and after some years of it, I got bored. It is not reality as regards music reproduction, more a stethoscope to the source, with dynamics, soundstage and bass more or less missing.
The Real was good at the show out of the little tube amp, but be careful. The tracks I heard on it were quite treble surpressed, such as the Daft Punk new album. I listened to that when I got back, and it has a weird table dip thing going on. So you need to listen to the Raal with your own music tracks. I find the Raal super fast and big soundstage, but looses in midrange weight and bass like the Syntax 009 does.

Lets face it, asking a single transducer to play all the frequencies at the same time and at a top quality is a big ask. But SOTA headphones are getting really better at it, mainly the Planars IMO.

Reactions: dan31 and KeithR

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Interesting feedback...I have read with great interest about both the Abyss and LCD4 (more like the LCD3 than the new LCD5?). Was curious if you've heard the Meze Empyrean and how it compares with the ones you like.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
heard the Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-009S (which i owned a year ago with the MSB Select headphone amp), and the Abyss 1266 phi TC on the top big Woo audio amps at Axpona. based on short listens to each, i'd want the X9000 for my particular tastes. WOW!!! i know there are other contenders, i just happened to walk by the Woo room and figured why not take a listen.

obviously i'm not your typical headphone guy with my big speaker rig, since i'm not looking for the same thing from headphones as maybe others. i'm looking for a particular washing over me type of presentation as an alternative experience. great headphone bass or dynamics are farther down the list as my big rig is too far down that road for cans to compete. i just want to lose myself in the weeds of the music. the x9000's did that for me 100%.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing