Best "bang for the buck" DAC

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
7k-8k ... I'd go for the Bricasti M1SE over the "inexpensive" Lampizators. It might need to be a used M1SE, but still doable. But then, I don't think I quite understand the love affair with Lampis either.

snopro

Oct 1, 2012
For $2500, I think the Audio Mirror Tubadour III SE is really good. Punches way above its price point!

Reactions: adamaley

Imperial

Mar 6, 2012
Norway
Does second hand count .
Mark levinson 360S DAC , easily beats the much later designs like Meittner MA2 Wadia 581 i players which i owned regarding detail retrivial , bass definition , natural sounding , rhytm , it simply makes digital not sound digital , which is the highest compliment in my view .
The ML 360S might the best D/A ever made.
Reports online testify to its prowes in delivering within its resolution and noisefloor.

That awesome mark ii version the 'drive 1' that now is delivered by totaldac is the very finest buffer/driver yet produced any audio company in 2020..

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
$2k range — border patrol SE Or Schitt yggy.
4k—lampi amber 3
5k denefrips or lampi
8k+ — pick a Lampi model
10k — also the bricasti is nice

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
7k-8k ... I'd go for the Bricasti M1SE over the "inexpensive" Lampizators. It might need to be a used M1SE, but still doable. But then, I don't think I quite understand the love affair with Lampis either.

You won't hear any difference between these dacs through a Raidho

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area

Latest Bricasti M3 is very nice. You can get it with a network card preinstalled (avoiding a bunch of upstream contraptions for streaming) and there is a very high quality intergrated headphone amplifer available as well. One box with a Roon (or similar) interface, fed via ethernet, perhaps with an EtherRegen or similar upstream to clean the ethernet feed.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
You won't hear any difference between these dacs through a Raidho

It is bad form to speak ill of another person's speaker choice.

Reactions: hogen

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

The point is he commented on a dac he has not properly heard, never compared, at most heard at a show or used his tube output buffer generalization. That's bad form

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

And yes Raidho is my least liked product in all of hifi. I think the retail price is the price to pay someone to take it out of your room

Reactions: Lagonda

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked broke that rule early w me.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
The point is he commented on a dac he has not properly heard, never compared, at most heard at a show or used his tube output buffer generalization. That's bad form
Hahaha. Pot meet kettle. Who's generalizing here? You don't know when/where/how I've heard Lampi DACs. And I don't have Raidho speakers.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Oh my, you are so sensitive, Ked. Not everyone needs to like your favorite DAC, just like not everyone needs to be into your favorite other type of gear. While I'm also enthusiastic about my gear, I accept if people aren't into this type of stuff or haven't heard it properly. Grow some thicker skin, Dude.

Last edited:
Reactions: andromedaaudio

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I guess it's probably redundant for me to express that I like the Yggy a lot as I'm one of the people Peter mentioned. I think it's great value and for me it was a no-brainer when compared to my Vivaldi DAC/Upsampler (note I did NOT have the Vivaldi Clock) as other than the Vivaldi having deeper bass, it was really hard to tell the difference between the two DACs.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I guess it's probably redundant for me to express that I like the Yggy a lot as I'm one of the people Peter mentioned. I think it's great value and for me it was a no-brainer when compared to my Vivaldi DAC/Upsampler (note I did NOT have the Vivaldi Clock) as other than the Vivaldi having deeper bass, it was really hard to tell the difference between the two DACs.

I would expect most dacs to be better than the vivaldi, so hard to tell the difference is not saying much for the other dac

Reactions: KeithR

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Bonzo, it might save some typing if you just made a sticky post that was "Ked's List of Sh*t gear". So far we have DCS Vivaldi and Raidho.

Reactions: Al M. and PeterA

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey, I'm insulted. Zu should be top of that list.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing