Best "bang for the buck" DAC

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I'm having trouble following the thread of this last page. I guess you digital guys speak a different language that what a vinyl guy like me can understand. I'll take that as my cue to view from afar.

Have a good long Memorial Day weekend everyone. I'm going outside for a while, perhaps a long while.

fuscobal

Apr 8, 2020
Guys, thanks for the latest recommendations but DAC2X v2 is on its way already (should be here in couple of days). Afterwards, streamer to replace my CDSA (for now will use it as a transport for DAC2X v2).

rgmd11

Mar 30, 2017
Popped round my local dealer yesterday to listen to a Taiko Extreme, but sadly was not able to (maybe next week or after when it will be hooked unto a Wadax Reference Dac).

But I did have a listen to a Wadax Atlantis Transport with Boulder 2110 pre-amp and 2160 amp which they were trying out with a "APL" "DSD-AR" DAC (Bulgarian entry level model and around 6K euros) into a pair of Vimberg Tonda D speakers using Van Den Hul cables (not sure which range),

Sounded amazing, best system I have heard there recently and probably since listening to a Accuphase transport with Gryphon Mepthisto and Rockport Altair speakers a couple of years back, extremely impressive DAC (it has tubes) for the money and I think this was the most surprising aspect, (never heard of them), punched way above it's weight and price.

Keep safe everyone.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
There's a stellar review of this dac on hifi-advice.com, from 9th May.

Reactions: Hyperion

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I remember a time where you thought that analog would always be superior to digital, especially Redbook, since you thought the latter had inherently too low resolution.

Well, I still bet top analog trumps any redbook, so what I think of the Yggy2 is in the context of my system. At the same time, we have both heard mediocre sounds from "top" analog, like that Basis Trancendence + Rockport + Nagra demo at the load dealer's (none the fault of either brand's), which paled against whatever digital they played (I forget). So proper execution really matters.

Having said that, redbook has come such a long way that just the other day, my son walks by me in the living room, stops, sits down to listen with me and says: This is the radio? Yes, it was the radio, playing Vivaldi, and the strings were to die for. I've started buying CDs again from http://www.arkivmusic.com which is what https://www.classicalwcrb.org/ is usually playing - just incredible sounds from this heavily modified FM tuner.

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I think he'd have enjoyed my recently purchased Beethoven Symphonies box/Karajan/Berlin Philharmonic/DG '79. I mean, thru Zus. But as we all know, we don't listen thru spkrs but the spkrs/room combination. And my Zus are a different proposition now.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Popped round my local dealer yesterday to listen to a Taiko Extreme, but sadly was not able to (maybe next week or after when it will be hooked unto a Wadax Reference Dac).

But I did have a listen to a Wadax Atlantis Transport with Boulder 2110 pre-amp and 2160 amp which they were trying out with a "APL" "DSD-AR" DAC (Bulgarian entry level model and around 6K euros) into a pair of Vimberg Tonda D speakers using Van Den Hul cables (not sure which range),

Sounded amazing, best system I have heard there recently and probably since listening to a Accuphase transport with Gryphon Mepthisto and Rockport Altair speakers a couple of years back, extremely impressive DAC (it has tubes) for the money and I think this was the most surprising aspect, (never heard of them), punched way above it's weight and price.

Keep safe everyone.

The new APL DSD-AR DAC is indeed something very special. Among all of the DAC's that has passed through here during recent years below $10.000 this is the highest performing side by side with the new Rockna Wavelight DAC.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
The new APL DSD-AR DAC is indeed something very special. Among all of the DAC's that has passed through here during recent years below $10.000 this is the highest performing side by side with the new Rockna Wavelight DAC.

Their older models just have a terrible resale price in the used market. Don’t forget that serial number for me next week ;)

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Their older models just have a terrible resale price in the used market. Don’t forget that serial number for me next week ;)

You don't need to sell your APL DAC as it will always be upgradeable outperforming most others within the same price range (and well above).

As for the resale value of older digital sources, all brands suffer. Ultimately you need to ask yourself if you're buying to enjoy or buying to sell. All premium goods decline in value no matter which area or hobby you're in.

As for the serial, I presume you're referring to the Schiit DAC...? :)

Reactions: Marcin_gps

rsrzr

Jun 22, 2017
I have been streaming from a local server for almost 12 years using a variety of software. Then I moved to a dedicated Auralic Aries server. All of these scenarios had the server sitting in the audio room using usb. Since the better dacs come with network connections or i2s, I got rid of the server and especially usb and went with Roon with a server in a separate room using Ethernet to the dac. Usb is a terrible protocol to use for audio and you can spend thousands trying to make it better. Plus isolating the server in another room, there is no noise. If for some reason you want a server in the audio room, or you don’t have a network interface to the dac, use i2s to the dac.

Reactions: Rob181

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
You don't need to sell your APL DAC as it will always be upgradeable outperforming most others within the same price range (and well above).

As for the resale value of older digital sources, all brands suffer. Ultimately you need to ask yourself if you're buying to enjoy or buying to sell. All premium goods decline in value no matter which area or hobby you're in.

Yes all older digital gear declined in value. Alex’s modded Esoteric machines where selling used for ridicules low priced for a while.
Yes i meant the Schit.;)

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany

Hi Marcus,

please can you share something about the sound signature of the new Wavelight?
Thanks

Matt

Reactions: lordcloud

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Hi Marcus,

please can you share something about the sound signature of the new Wavelight?
Thanks

Matt
And a few words comparing i to the Schit if possible, you are allowed to plead the fifth amendment. The Schit is for my brother, he does not read WBF ;)

Vinyl Valet

Dec 17, 2016
Tempe, AZ
Last August, the AZ AV Club held a DAC shootout with ten or eleven contenders. It was well designed; level matched, 0.5 seconds between selections, three DACs at a time, each labeled A, B & C. Expensive, highly resolving system. As I recall, Black Ice Audio FX Tube DAC ($799) came in first, Chord Qutest ($1695) 2nd, Schiit Yggy 3rd, ifi Pro iDSD 4th (lost by one vote to Yggy, may have done better in one other of many configurations available).

Reactions: ack and Lagonda

oldbigears

Nov 19, 2017
I don't think 7-8k is a bang for the buck dac personally.

I'd try the Holo Kitsune for under 3k as a bang for the buck dac.

I don't think 3K as a bang for the buck dac personally. Listen to my Topping D90 and recalibrate. $700 and you're done.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
For $2500, I think the Audio Mirror Tubadour III SE is really good. Punches way above its price point!
A buddy of mine switched from an Yggy 2 to the original Audio Mirror Tubadour. He's recently had some upgrades done to it by Vlad, but I'm not sure if it's up to the III SE yet. He's really enjoying the DAC.

fuscobal

Apr 8, 2020
Aurender N10 is here now to pair with DAC2X v2 and replace my CDSAse. So, CDSA vs CDSA + DAC2Xv2 vs N10 + DAC2Xv2 all sound pretty different. CDSAse alone is still amazing for its age. CDSA + DAC2X has more detail all around, more air, veeery delicate highs. N10 + DAC2X has a fuller bodied sound all around, better low frequency control, larger stage, similar air to CDSA + DAC2X, a bit more forward highs and midrange.

Fohlenfan

Aug 28, 2016

Dear Marcus,
can you tell something to the difference between the APL AR and the SR MK2? Is it worth the 8k price difference? I own the AR and are not sure to make the next step in the Range. 8k are a lot of money, where you can get big things on the used market. kind Regars lars

Reactions: Hyperion

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Dear Marcus,
can you tell something to the difference between the APL AR and the SR MK2? Is it worth the 8k price difference? I own the AR and are not sure to make the next step in the Range. 8k are a lot of money, where you can get big things on the used market. kind Regars lars

I wish I could :).

I have both the new DSD-AR and the reference DSD-MR MK2 here but not the DSD-SR MK2 I'm afraid.

What components does your current system consist of?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing