Best Bosendorfer Piano Recordings

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
The instrument, especially the Imperial, is legendary. I have a few recordings by Oscar and Paul Bley.
Any others that are epically recorded with five star music and recording quality out there?

Last edited:

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
In classical music, the Austrian classical piano player Paul Badura-Skoka was fond of the Bonsendorfer. For his complete recording of the Mozart piano sonatas, he used a Bosendorfer and a Steinway. It is still one of of the best recordings of the Mozart piano works.

The complete works of Carl Philip Emmanuel Bach has been recorded by Ana-Marija Markovina on a Bosendorfer Imperial. Her teacher was Paul Badura-Skoda.

One of the most famous live jazz recordings was played on a awfully tuned Bosendorfer: Keith Jarrettt - The Köln Concert. He was supposed to play a Bosendorfer Imperial but the opera staff messed up and placed the wrong Bosendorfer on stage.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
If I am not mistaken the last recording of Hyperion Records by Stephen Hough of Beethoven Piano Concertos was performed on Bosendorfer.
Outstanding btw.

Attachments

• B67B9B48-C7ED-43E2-8AD7-A410F906449F.png
    B67B9B48-C7ED-43E2-8AD7-A410F906449F.png
    665.8 KB · Views: 4

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
One of the most famous live jazz recordings was played on a awfully tuned Bosendorfer: Keith Jarrettt - The Köln Concert. He was supposed to play a Bosendorfer Imperial but the opera staff messed up and placed the wrong Bosendorfer on stage.

Even to untrained ears, this Bosendorfer was terribly tuned, yet beautifully flawed when Keith attacked the piano in concert. Indeed, the resulting recording can never be duplicated because of this.
Knowing how Jarrett was with these things, its quite possible to believe this recording came very close to not happening.

He once delayed the start of a concert for almost 2 hours in Buffalo one time because one key on the concert grand Steinway was off according to him.
The organizer of this concert, whom I know, later said their tuner could not hear the supposed issue, so he de-tuned and re-tuned the offending key.

Reactions: Coimbra

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I have two recordings, and this one sounds really good

A classic Telarc recording

Last edited:

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
The true story of the piano in the Koln concert is like a sitcom movie ;)

Reactions: Coimbra

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
This is the second one I have

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
A great 45rpm direct to disc recording

Attachments

• IMG_9519.jpg
    IMG_9519.jpg
    936 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: PeterA

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Rosenberg Bosendorfer.jpg

Only have this album by Carol Rosenberger. I don't know whether her other albums were played on a Boesendorfer.

We have a 225, their Halb-Konzert, 7'4" often found in smaller concert venues. It has 92 keys, unlike the 97 keys of the Imperial Concert Grand. We picked it out in Vienna at the factory in 1985. They told us about Oscar Peterson who at first was not permitted to buy a Bosendorfer. In those days production was very limited after WWII and the management thought that jazz was not proper music to play on their instruments. Obviously, they changed their policy.

I believe that Steinway used to (maybe still does) have a policy that if you are a Steinway artist, you can't record on another brand of piano. You can play on a different piano in a concert. We had Steinway artist Jon Nakamatsu play our Boesendorfer a year ago at a home concert. He played the Rachmaninoff second piano concerto with his long time accompanist playing the piano version of the orchestral part on our second piano.

Our two pianos.JPG JN and CS in concert.JPG

Larry

Last edited:

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
This SACD has great sound and wonderful performances. (The original Delos release is no slouch, either!)

1610672933119.png

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing