Best/Favorite Analog Front End You've Ever Heard?

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
Before you give you re final tape verdict listen to one of these tapes
It might be partly in the modded ampex machine with flux magnetic heads they use .

Analogue Productions Ultra Tape reel-to-reel reissues!

Twelve masterpiece titles, each a 15 ips, ¼-inch 2-track (½ track) analog tape copy

Sourced from original master tapes

Transferred using ATR-modified Ampex Tape Machine with flux magnetic heads

Custom slipcase cover - highest quality tape reissue!

From Acoustic Sounds, Inc., the world leader in audiophile music sales, comes the highest quality analog reel-to-reel tape album reissues — Analogue Productions Ultra Tape!
Hopefully I'll get a chance to at some point ... Hopefully the pandemic will subside and maybe RMAF will resume this fall ... Maybe there will be some tape setups there if there is a show ...

George

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Kondo IO-M cartridge
Kondo sfz sut
Kondo ge-10 reference phono
Acoustical systems axiom 12” tonearm (Kondo silver wired)
Techdas airforce 3 premium TT

Reactions: shakti

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I have a few tapes that are great.
I have a few records that are great.
I even have some digital that is great.

Records and digital are so easy to use and pick specific songs.
Tape is a commitment. You should rewind the whole album to keep the tension even and play it all the way through without stopping. No playlist there unless they are pre-recorded. But then you need 2 decks.

Tape hiss is akin to tube noise. I love tubes. Yet people will physically attack you if you say tubes sound crystal clear and dynamic. I will say tapes sound crystal clear and dynamic. And oozing with rich, lush, body, rhythm and drive. A good tape is hard to beat. A good record can be hard to find. There are a lot of stinkers out there. Cloaked as Audio Grade but mostly maaaaa,

Really, its all becoming a blur. So much is great out there. But even the greats can be set in a poor room, speaker/amp you don't like etc etc. It becomes hard to separate the individual from the whole.

Reactions: howiebrou

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
Best gobsmacker was the Clearaudio Statement with their top linear/parallel tracking arm and Goldfinger cartridge.Coupled with all Gryphon amplification and Martin Logan CLX speakers,a symphonic Lp produced a holographic soundstage that had an orchestra spread out in a wide “picture “ with at least 7 metres of depth and a height of 3 -4 metres.The individual instruments were pinpoint and tiered in height.
Quite extraordinary .

Reactions: infinitely baffled

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing