Best HDMI, Transparent, AudioQuest, Shunyata, MIT?

JmCamrn

Jan 4, 2015
What do you guys consider to be the best HDMI cables on the market currently? Primarily for audio. I've tried the under $100 AudioQuest ones, but were not too impressed. Same for Monster. I know Transparent, MIT, and Shunyata all have offerings as well. I would be interested to hear some thoughts and experiences. I'm currently using Monoprice's Redmere cables. They sound and look significantly better thank stock cables from Monoprice, Dynex, Amazon, Oppo, etc. They're also slightly better in picture quality than AudioQuest's Cinnamon, Forest, and Slinky, but much more holographic and three dimensional in audio reproduction. It's possible that Redmere technology has lower jitter.

Is there that much of a difference going up to AudioQuest's Chocolate, Carbon, and Vodka? What about Transparent, Shunyata, and MIT cables?

JmCamrn

Jan 4, 2015
So I've had a chance to listen to a Transparent Performance HDMI cable, $130 for a 2m length. It was a demo cable. I feel rather indifferent. Video was on par to the budget cables from Monoprice, Dynex, Oppo, etc. Audio was a step up, but not as good as Redmere and AudioQuest. The soundstage seemed a bit closed in, the bass and highs compressed. It was if a loudness button was engaged killing some dynamic range. AudioQuest Cinnamon in comparison is much richer with great tone, blacker background, etc. But somewhat flat. Monoprice Redmere is extremely spacious and layered, but slightly soft in bass. My rankings so far are as follows:

1.) Monoprice Redmere 18Gbps
2.) Monoprice Redmere 10.2Gbps
3.) AudioQuest Cinnamon
4.) Monster Black Platinum and Ultra HD
5.) Transparent Performance
6.) Monoprice cheapies, Dynex, Amazon, Oppo, Blue Jeans, Pangea, Tartan, and everything else.

I will attempt to listen to these as well:

Shunyata Venom HDMI - Should have this tomorrow.
AudioQuest - Chocolate and Carbon, I'll pick these up next week.
Nordost - Blue Heaven
Cardas
Kimber - 09e and 19e.
MIT - No dealers around here.
Van Den Hul - No dealers around here.
Wireworld - No dealers around here.

Last edited:
Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

JmCamrn

Jan 4, 2015
Back again. Been listening to the Shunyata Venom HDMI cable. In short, it's much better than Transparent, but not as good as Monoprice's Redmeres. Nice detailed presentation, but a bit cool sounding on top and not as three dimensional. There's also a bit of hash on the high frequencies which did not go away or change after 8 hours of playing. It's similar to the AudioQuest Cinnamon and both cables are my favorite non Redmere HDMIs. I think at this point I'm done in my pursuit. The Redmeres are significantly above everything else in sound as well as picture. If I feel inspired again I'll give the AudioQuest Chocolate a try and post back with results. I'm looking forward to hearing anyone else's experience. My final rankings are as follows:

1.) Monoprice Redmere 18Gbps - Incredible performance and value. Crystal clear textured highs, liquid, no grain/hash, good bass extension (although a bit soft), superb depth and 3D soundstage. Vivid colors. Sounds similar to a premium Mundorf Silver/Gold/Oil capacitor.
2.) Monoprice Redmere 10.2Gbps - Same as above.
3.) AudioQuest Cinnamon - Great bass slam, textured sound, no grain/hash, but a bit flat 2D soundstage, similar sound to what a good silver wire would produce.
4.) Shunyata Venom - Nice detailed sound, slight hash over high frequencies, a bit flat 2D soundstage, good bass extension.
5.) Monster Black Platinum and Ultra HD - Clear detailed highs, a bit flat 2D soundstage, decent bass extension, it does everything very well, but nothing exceptional.
6.) Transparent Performance - Midrange focused, the highs and lows are a bit trimmed, has a loudness type of effect, brass instruments sound great though.
7.) Monoprice cheapies, Dynex, Amazon, Oppo, Blue Jeans, Pangea, Tartan, and everything else.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello and welcome to the WBF, JmCamrn. It sounds like you are a man on a mission. Thank you for sharing your observations with us. :)

Tom

JmCamrn

Jan 4, 2015
Thanks and you're welcome! There aren't that many HDMI reviews on the web or comparisons. I think most people are turned away because of all HDMIs are the same belief. But they do make a difference, at least to me and my system. I wanted to try most of the offerings in my area up to $150, but I may check out the more expensive ones in the future.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thanks and you're welcome! There aren't that many HDMI reviews on the web or comparisons. I think most people are turned away because of all HDMIs are the same belief. But they do make a difference, at least to me and my system. I wanted to try most of the offerings in my area up to $150, but I may check out the more expensive ones in the future.

I agree...I think so many say hdmi is hdmi is hdmi....I remember all the power cord debates a few years ago... "no way" power cords can make a diff...

I have not compared HDMI cables other than stock to my Transparent Audio HDMI - even my wife saw the diff...it's unmistakably a better picture...more depth...more clarity...

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
I started with VDH the ultimate in the blue jacket - it was a big step up in sound quality and PQ compared with the standard HDMI cables. The only issue with the VDH was that it was really stiff. So i swapped it out for the Crystal Cable HDMI. Another increase in sound quality and also picture quality although not by as much as jumping to the ultimate in the first instance.

the great thing with the crystal cables is there small and flexible size.

HDMI cables def all sound different - i changed primarily for sound quality, the benefit in picture was a bonus

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I have not recently. If you have a Transparent dealer close by, I bet he'll loan you one to compare...

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
@JmCamrn, Thank you very much for this thread and for such a thorough comparison. I believe that HDMI has a tremendous impact on the overall music experience. This influence is, however, very often neglected or downplayed.

There are certainly a few factors we should always take into account when choosing a perfect HDMI cable for our set up.
1. Bandwidth, the higher the better. HDMI 2.0 raised the maximum capacity from 10.2 Gbps to 18 Gbps, whereas the ultra high speed HDMI 2.1 can handle up to 48 Gbps, enough to run 8K at 60Hz or 4K at 120Hz. More and more high-tech to choose from.
2. Installation/cover. Best to choose highest CL rating especially for in-wall installations.
3. Length - ideally the shorter the cable the better. Longer cables are exposed to signal degradation. If you are planning to install longer than 25 feet long HDMI set then probably best to invest in active HDMI cables or in extreme cases install fiber optic HDMI cables to for the best performance.

Genkifd

Apr 20, 2019
has anyone tied the Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 HDMI cables? ive heard the Chroma 7 but i didnt compared with other cables. thinking of giving a 0.6m a go.

Billinge

Aug 15, 2021
I have Nordost Heimdall 2, Nordost Blue Heaven, Wireworld Silver Starlight, Belkin recommended by Apple, cheap Ugreen 8k from Amazon

I would rate them in that order, I would say Blue Heaven is noticeably better than the wireworld but BH is nearly twice the price, plus flat cables are harder to bend

I got the Nordost at approx half price secondhand, if I see another second hand Nordost I'd buy it (2m)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing