Best LP Reissue of “Bridge Over Troubled Water”

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Who has compared different vinyl reissues of Simon & Garfunkel’s “Bridge Over Troubled Water”?

How does the new MoFi “one step” 45rpm reissue compare to the Classic Records reissues?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Who has compared different vinyl reissues of Simon & Garfunkel’s “Bridge Over Troubled Water”?

How does the new MoFi “one step” 45rpm reissue compare to the Classic Records reissues?

Funny you should just post this. There is a long thread in another forum about this subject that I was just involved in...and about the quality of the One Step releases in general.
Like I stated over there, the problem with this particular release is that the original master tape of BOTW is far from decent quality...sound wise. The tape is well known for being veiled and in many places mildly distorted and sterile sounding. A huge shame, as of course the music is superb.
So, while I own all of the releases of this Album, including the Classic, the MFSL original, the original pressing...both UK and US , I wasn’t about to drop big $$ for the One Step. ( knowing the quality of the original master). On the other forum thread, there are now a number of purchasers who are very unhappy with their new BOTW. Expectations were high that the SQ could match the rest of the One Step releases....and it just isn’t possible. Although the prior release of Donald Fagen ‘ The night fly’ was originally a digital recording, the SQ wasn’t too bad. ( Although I stayed away from this as well, cannot see why I would spend $$ for a digital recording on vinyl?)
IMHO.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I have the one step but have not heard it yet. It’s been a while since I listened to a copy of it. I don’t recall it ever being a sonic blockbuster.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I heard a copy on a friends system last night. There are better ways to spend $100...

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
It’s a decent effort by MoFi given the tapes limitations. I’m not sorry I bought it as I don’t have the classic 45. Some tracks are very nice and some are less impressive.

It’s the only one step I have listened to as I have been home sick. I have the first three still in plastic wrap.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Look at it as an investment. I'm sure it will go up fast in price at auction once they sell out. I bought two and may put one up on the block eventually.

Agreed. BUT here's a question...why should this release go up in value???...I mean it doesn't have the SQ that most would like, it isn't that rare...what 6000 copies or so, and most people aren't even going to open it to listen to it...so it will sit there collecting dust on the shelf. Compare that to a superb Blue note Lexington Ave original...and I don't see the collectability. Here's a thought...the 'seasoned' collectors will stand on the side line, let those pony up indiscriminately for this MoFi release- and spend their money on the aforementioned 'real' collectible...just a thought.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Agreed. BUT here's a question...why should this release go up in value???...I mean it doesn't have the SQ that most would like, it isn't that rare...what 6000 copies or so, and most people aren't even going to open it to listen to it...so it will sit there collecting dust on the shelf.

Because there's a sucker born every minute... ;-)

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Agreed. BUT here's a question...why should this release go up in value???...I mean it doesn't have the SQ that most would like, it isn't that rare...what 6000 copies or so, and most people aren't even going to open it to listen to it...so it will sit there collecting dust on the shelf. Compare that to a superb Blue note Lexington Ave original...and I don't see the collectability. Here's a thought...the 'seasoned' collectors will stand on the side line, let those pony up indiscriminately for this MoFi release- and spend their money on the aforementioned 'real' collectible...just a thought.

Look at some of the recent increases on MoFI releases like Beck, Fagen's Night Fly and Miles Kind of Blue Box Set and you can see that there is a huge market for these records. A sealed Beck MoFi Sea Change is $300!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Because there's a sucker born every minute... ;-)

Probably.
Last week I noticed that the One Step BOTW was available again at Elusive Disc. Priced at $99.
Now seems sold out again? Meanwhile there were folks buying it on eBay for $140-$150 and some optimistic sellers asking $250.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have the one step but have not heard it yet. It’s been a while since I listened to a copy of it. I don’t recall it ever being a sonic blockbuster.

Hello Christian!

By any chance have you listened by now to the recent one-step MoFi release?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Funny you should just post this. There is a long thread in another forum about this subject that I was just involved in...and about the quality of the One Step releases in general(...)

Can you nominate the forum or post a link? I (and I suppose others) would like to read such thread.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing