Best Pancake Recipe

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Pancakes are the simplest of Sunday breakfasts in the Koh family - just pancakes lathered in maple syrup and a cup of tea. Simple is easy. I'm known for saying "as simple as possible, but no simpler".

However, for the simplest of breakfast - you need the best of pancakes. No store-bought mix is going to even remotely approach "Daddy's Pancakes" for my kids.

I start off with King Arthur Flour (never bleached, never bromated) and Grace Harbor milk (local, family-owned, pastured cows).

Pancake Ingredients.jpg

Here's the way to make light, fluffy pancakes with a depth of texture and flavor that you'll never forget. Crispy on the outside, light and moist on the inside.

In a large mixing bowl, sift together 2 cups of all-purpose flour, one teaspoon of baking POWDER and half teaspoon of baking SODA.. Mix in a tablespoon of sugar and a half teaspoon of fine sea salt (or I like to use freshly ground Himalayan pink salt).

You'll need two more mixing bowls - one medium and another large. You'll also need 4 tablespoons of melted butter - use European butter as American butter has too much water and not enough flavor. I use Kerrygold, but others will work just as well. To melt the butter, I put it into a small glass bowl and microwave it for 2 minutes at low power.

Carefully crack three large eggs one at a time. Separate the whites into the medium bowl and the yolks into the large bowl. With a hand mixer, whip the egg whites in the medium bowl until they form stiff peaks (sort of like if you were going to make meringue).

In the large bowl (with the three egg yolks), pour in two cups of cultured buttermilk, half a cup of yogurt and a splash of whole milk. Use the hand mixer again and mix until the dairy and milk is uniform. While mixing, slowly pour in the melted butter.

Next step is important. FOLD in the whipped egg-white into the milk/egg mixture using a rubber (most likely silicone these days!!). It should still be lumpy when you're done. Pour the dry flour into the mix and continue to fold the mixture together. It should end up lumpy, but fairly consistent.

Optional, in a mortar and pestle, crack a handful of roasted macadamia nuts. You don't want to use a food processor as you want some larger pieces, other smaller pieces, and the mortar and pestle will release the oils better for more flavour....... fold this into the mixture too for an even lumpier batter :)

Fry over medium heat (on the low side of medium) in a non-stick pan until the pancakes bubble.

Ready to flip.jpg

Flip once only! For crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, I use a carbon-steel frying pan. A teflon non-stick will work, but the pancakes will be less crispy on the outside. You'll have to adjust the heat depending on your pan and stove top to make sure that the pancake doesn't burn by the time it has to be flipped. Deep brown is OK as the sugars in the mixture is going to caramelize.

Pancake Done.jpg

Enjoy - with a generous helping of good maple syrup. The recipe makes about twice this amount. My kids started eating while I was cooking up the batch......

Plateful of goodness.jpg

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
They are wonderful pancakes.

Not that I can eat them anymore. :p (T2 Diabetic)

I saw it on your FB page Gary but the photos here do the recipe more justice

Reactions: Nicholas17Dominic

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..at the risk of being laughed off the forum we've found that the Cracker Barrel pancake mix is right up there. Great taste of course but a texture that is hard to describe and of course topped with real maple syrup...no Mrs Butterworths thank you..

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

Yes - I agree. FB doesn't do this justice, WBF is also much easier to bookmark as I put my best recipes in here so as to be able to find them if I want to do it again.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Same here, Steve. They looked good then and they look great now. Thanks for sharing, Gary. The wife and my son love making pancakes and we always do it by scratch, trying different recipes along the way. In fact, this Easter, we had fun making bunny shaped pancakes using blueberries and bananas for the eyes and mouths. We will definitely try your recipe.

On a different note but not completely off topic, I see that you mentioned using a carbon steel pan. I have been on this Earth for 45 years and I have heard of all kinds of pans but it wasn't up until about a month or two ago that I heard about carbon steel. From what I understand, there are many benefits......kind of like cooking in a cast iron pan but with the benefits of a "non-stick" pan, if you will. Would you agree?

Also, I notice that your carbon steel pan has no rivets connecting the handle. That is the bomb! If you don't mind me asking and if you happen to remember......where did you source that pan?

Tom

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Carbon steel pans are the bomb! I've used a carbon steel Chinese wok for many years, and it was only recently that I discovered that you can also get frying pans in carbon steel.

When cooking steak and other meats, the maillard reaction is as good if not better than cast iron. And, a well-seasoned carbon steel pan is more non-stick than teflon, without the down-sides. I can fry eggs without a puddle of oil - just wipe the pan with an oily rag (never wash the pan with soap). Unfortunately, the pan will pick up the taste/smell of what you cook, so I have different pans for fish and pancake/eggs.

The pan I use is a Matfer Bourgeat - I got it at a restaurant supplier, but you can get them from Amazon. You'll be amazed at the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Matfer-Bourgeat-062001-Frying-8-Inch/dp/B00077H56I

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Brand??? The good ones are hand-hammered in China. What constitutes a good wok is opposite to what you'd expect. It should be thin so as to transmit the heat really fast. Viet Wah in the International District or 99 Ranch in Lynwood or Renton sell them. Mine isn't a traditional wok (it's too thick), but I've been using it for over 30 years so I just haven't had the desire to change.

Use something like this - with a handle on both sides.

214BNNMDsSL.jpg

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Gary. I found one and it was thin and I thought that was bad! Will drop by 99 Ranch and pick one up there. I had forgotten about that market :).

I need to have you and your family over to teach me how to cook chinese! :)

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
From scratch can be great, but what works surprisingly well is a tweak(right up our alley ) to a basic bisquick recipe. Add some acid oj, lemon juice and baking powder let it work a few mins. Crisp well with the right pan and fluffs up well too.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
And with great pancakes (French toasts too) comes great power and responsibility. :b

Nothing better than arroser le tout avec du bon sirop d'érable. ...And with fresh strawberries from the fields across the valley.
______

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Pancakes are the simplest of Sunday breakfasts in the Koh family - just pancakes lathered in maple syrup and a cup of tea. Simple is easy. I'm known for saying "as simple as possible, but no simpler".

However, for the simplest of breakfast - you need the best of pancakes. No store-bought mix is going to even remotely approach "Daddy's Pancakes" for my kids.

I start off with King Arthur Flour (never bleached, never bromated) and Grace Harbor milk (local, family-owned, pastured cows).Gary, absolutely wonderful post and incredible pictures. I have thinking about making some from scratch for the past several weeks so that I can use the amazing syrup in my frig and you have just pushed me over the line.

View attachment 26461

Here's the way to make light, fluffy pancakes with a depth of texture and flavor that you'll never forget. Crispy on the outside, light and moist on the inside.

In a large mixing bowl, sift together 2 cups of all-purpose flour, one teaspoon of baking POWDER and half teaspoon of baking SODA.. Mix in a tablespoon of sugar and a half teaspoon of fine sea salt (or I like to use freshly ground Himalayan pink salt).

You'll need two more mixing bowls - one medium and another large. You'll also need 4 tablespoons of melted butter - use European butter as American butter has too much water and not enough flavor. I use Kerrygold, but others will work just as well. To melt the butter, I put it into a small glass bowl and microwave it for 2 minutes at low power.

Carefully crack three large eggs one at a time. Separate the whites into the medium bowl and the yolks into the large bowl. With a hand mixer, whip the egg whites in the medium bowl until they form stiff peaks (sort of like if you were going to make meringue).

In the large bowl (with the three egg yolks), pour in two cups of cultured buttermilk, half a cup of yogurt and a splash of whole milk. Use the hand mixer again and mix until the dairy and milk is uniform. While mixing, slowly pour in the melted butter.

Next step is important. FOLD in the whipped egg-white into the milk/egg mixture using a rubber (most likely silicone these days!!). It should still be lumpy when you're done. Pour the dry flour into the mix and continue to fold the mixture together. It should end up lumpy, but fairly consistent.

Optional, in a mortar and pestle, crack a handful of roasted macadamia nuts. You don't want to use a food processor as you want some larger pieces, other smaller pieces, and the mortar and pestle will release the oils better for more flavour....... fold this into the mixture too for an even lumpier batter :)

Fry over medium heat (on the low side of medium) in a non-stick pan until the pancakes bubble.

View attachment 26462

Flip once only! For crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, I use a carbon-steel frying pan. A teflon non-stick will work, but the pancakes will be less crispy on the outside. You'll have to adjust the heat depending on your pan and stove top to make sure that the pancake doesn't burn by the time it has to be flipped. Deep brown is OK as the sugars in the mixture is going to caramelize.

View attachment 26463

Enjoy - with a generous helping of good maple syrup. The recipe makes about twice this amount. My kids started eating while I was cooking up the batch......

View attachment 26464
Great post and pictures Gary. You read my mind for the past several weeks craving pancakes so i can use the wonderful syrup in my fridge. I will try your recipe.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I haven't made Pancakes in years. I do make Crepes several times a month though.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
To those that may be lactose intolerant and for people that don't want dairy; Replace the milk with the same volume of seltzer. Pancakes actually get fluffier.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My gf makes protein pancakes with protein powder in the batter

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing