Best phono stage?

perart1

Mar 17, 2012
Cheltenham
And to further add to confusion, I was assuming stereo LPs. If you have mono LPs then it gets outright wacky, unless those monos were made after about 1956.
Ahh.....but I was;)

Flamenko

May 13, 2019
The problem, as you note, is getting to hear one in the UK
Hello dear, it should not be difficult to try thoress. Reinhardt sends it to your home for a month, if you don't like it you get your money back. So he did with me in Italy, but enhancer still sounds that way.....

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
There is no gain or loading adjustment. For many people this would not be acceptable. I just happen to agree with J Carr regarding cartridge and phono design
If the phono stage takes the electrical peak (that occurs due to the inductance of the cartridge and the capacitance of the tonearm cable) into account, then there should be no need for loading at all. One nice side effect is that you also get less ticks and pops.

perart1

Mar 17, 2012
Cheltenham
If the phono stage takes the electrical peak (that occurs due to the inductance of the cartridge and the capacitance of the tonearm cable) into account, then there should be no need for loading at all. One nice side effect is that you also get less ticks and pops.
YES.....absolutely correct.

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
I received my Accuphase C47.
It's above my old Esoteric E-03, but C47 is very sensible with the turntable.
With VPI Classic 3, the differences between E-03 and C47 are very similar...
With Technics SL-1000R , the differences between E-03 and C47 are enormous...
For the two turntables, I use Audio-Technica ART-9.
I have 3 month ago a ZYX Ultimate 4D with my SL-1000R...The difference between my Audio-Technica ART-9 and my ZYX are enormous. The C47 is very neutral. If I can say that : SL-1000 R with Audio-Technica ART-9 sounds like a CD and SL-1000 R with ZYX Ultimate 4D sounds like a vinyl...The C47 is enormous. With ZYX Ultimate 4D ( option SB), I must activate the subsonic filter...if not I have too much bass in the sound...and my loudspeaker are Magnepan 3.7i.....

Reactions: Nascimento and XV-1

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I have 3 month ago a ZYX Ultimate 4D with my SL-1000R...The difference between my Audio-Technica ART-9 and my ZYX are enormous. The C47 is very neutral. If I can say that : SL-1000 R with Audio-Technica ART-9 sounds like a CD and SL-1000 R with ZYX Ultimate 4D sounds like a vinyl...The C47 is enormous. With ZYX Ultimate 4D ( option SB), I must activate the subsonic filter...if not I have too much bass in the sound...and my loudspeaker are Magnepan 3.7i.....
Did you often use the subsonic filter (or any other external filters) with the Audio-Technica ART-9?

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
I know the thread has moved on since the original posting, however I thought I might say for anyone else interested in phono stages that I am very happy with my Ypsilon, but it requires SUTs for MC. I also thought quite highly of the phono stage incorporated into the Shindo Masseto preamp I once had in my system. For what it's worth.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I know the thread has moved on since the original posting, however I thought I might say for anyone else interested in phono stages that I am very happy with my Ypsilon, but it requires SUTs for MC. I also thought quite highly of the phono stage incorporated into the Shindo Masseto preamp I once had in my system. For what it's worth.
Just installed an Aries Cerat Talos II at a customers...what an amazing device...the level of analog with this machine over other very good phonostages is profound.

Reactions: MJG

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
Did you often use the subsonic filter (or any other external filters) with the Audio-Technica ART-9?
With the Audio-Technica Art-9, I never use the subsonic filter.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

Gibraltar

Sep 12, 2021
Curious, has anyone here had a chance to compare the C-47 with the CH Precision P1? Wondering what areas one could expect improvement in with the P1.

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
The Ypsilon is stellar. I am now running a freshly mounted Azule Platinum through a MC16. My Lamm LP2 D was great with NOS 417A's, but the Ypsilon is on another planet.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
What do you like the most about the Aries Cerat Talos II, especially comparing to MKI?
I actually have never heard the MK I. Comparing to other phono stages that I have heard though, more dynamics, more "gravitas" and solidity of images...it just sounds more like a real instrument in real space.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I actually have never heard the MK I. Comparing to other phono stages that I have heard though, more dynamics, more "gravitas" and solidity of images...it just sounds more like a real instrument in real space.
Then, we make a good combo, because I only heard MK I.
What TT and the cartridge was the client using with the Talos II? Did you have a chance to compare it in a different set-up?

Just to clarify, do I understand correctly that it comes in the two-piece chassis?

Do you know what is the Max input overload - I could not find that info.

Last edited:

MJG

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2018
Liechtenstein
Then, we make a good combo, because I only heard MK I.
What TT and the cartridge was the client using with the Talos II? Did you have a chance to compare it in a different set-up?

Just to clarify, do I understand correctly that it comes in the two-piece chassis?

Do you know what is the Max input overload - I could not find that info.
Yes, Talos II Reference comes in two-piece chassis.
TT is J. Sikora Standard Max with KV 12 tonearm.
Cartridge: Lyra Atlas SL Lambda

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Thanks for the answer. I heard a lot of good things about J. Sikora Standard Max, but I think I just listened to the J.Sikora Reference Line at one of the shows. Do you know where they are from?

Reactions: MJG

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Thanks for the answer. I heard a lot of good things about J. Sikora Standard Max, but I think I just listened to the J.Sikora Reference Line at one of the shows. Do you know where they are from?
It’s Polish I think

Reactions: Audire

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing