Best Playback Software: Roon, Euphony, Audionirvana, HQPlayer...??

octaviars

Mar 2, 2020
So why is it being discussed in the same breath as Roon? Seems pointless.

Because dCS also works as a Roon endpoint. Both Mosaic and Roon can be active in a dCS machine so it is easy to switch between them and compare them. I use both but mostly Roon.

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Audirvana has massacred my iTunes Music library, and I am not alone in this. Is that also your experience?
iTunes music probably destroyed itself, as Apple saw an “outside” application and attempted to ”integrate” it into its closed off world.. iTunes is horrid to work with, IME

Fidach Lad

Jun 24, 2015
Fidach
iTunes music probably destroyed itself, as Apple saw an “outside” application and attempted to ”integrate” it into its closed off world.. iTunes is horrid to work with, IME
You're probably right. I have about 1.5 TB of digital (AIFF) music in my Music library, and a computer audio (USB) set up. I suppose the alternative is a server of some kind, but I don't know the ins and out of that technology and would the AIFF encoding be a problem?

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
You're probably right. I have about 1.5 TB of digital (AIFF) music in my Music library, and a computer audio (USB) set up. I suppose the alternative is a server of some kind, but I don't know the ins and out of that technology and would the AIFF encoding be a problem?
Shouldn’t be a problem. I use a MacBook as a server with jriver software and it handles AIFF format.
There are also software converters that can convert AIFF to other Lossless formats like FLAC, WAV, etc.
I‘m a retired IT guy, so I don’t mind tinkering with software and hardware to make things sound better.
You could always try an application like jriver on your existing audio computer Without too much effort.
Jriver prioritizes sound quality over ease of interface.. but I find it fairly intuitive and very flexible.

Reactions: prerich

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
Audirvana has massacred my iTunes Music library, and I am not alone in this. Is that also your experience?
No idea ... don't have an iTunes music library ... Tried iTunes years ago and didn't like it so never built up a library.

George

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
The new Innuos Sense App makes Roon sound like nails on a chalkboard. It makes Tidal sound so much better even though it doesn't support hi rez yet.

Nothing beats Roon for management.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing