Best preamp for the money

flm09

May 1, 2020
Hey experts,
Looking for a preamp to match my Pass xa25. Is the Allnic L1500 better or is the conrad-johnson ET7 S2 better? Thanks!

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
To fill in some background on the L-1500. It remains Allnic's entry unit to the product line using circuit design based on the then H-5000DHT and L-4000 and was in production for 13 years. This circuit underwent a redesign to accommodate the same output transformers used in the current L-7000.

The L-1500 final production run was a huge success story. This was the perfect confluence of variables through lengthy negotiations between David Beetles (Allnic's distributor) and Kang Su Park that provided an amazing performance to price ratio that will be difficult to achieve again.

-output transformer coupled preamplifier using the same L-7000 transformers
-single gain stage circuit allowing a purer, more detailed, more spacious and more dynamic presentation
-tube base transformer power supply presenting ultra high-speed voltage regulation
-41 step precision attenuator volume control with silver contact points.
-Pure Class A operation
-Ultralow output impedance, making them capable of driving any amplifier out there.
-80% the performance of the L-7000 at 1/3 the market price.
-new aluminum chassis Allnic remote control
-full factory warranty, quality build, and reliable with ongoing product support spanning the lifetime of the company.

Unfortunately, only a few chassis left.

flm09

May 1, 2020
To fill in some background on the L-1500. It remains Allnic's entry unit to the product line using circuit design based on the then H-5000DHT and L-4000 and was in production for 13 years. This circuit underwent a redesign to accommodate the same output transformers used in the current L-7000.

The L-1500 final production run was a huge success story. This was the perfect confluence of variables through lengthy negotiations between David Beetles (Allnic's distributor) and Kang Su Park that provided an amazing performance to price ratio that will be difficult to achieve again.

-output transformer coupled preamplifier using the same L-7000 transformers
-single gain stage circuit allowing a purer, more detailed, more spacious and more dynamic presentation
-tube base transformer power supply presenting ultra high-speed voltage regulation
-41 step precision attenuator volume control with silver contact points.
-Pure Class A operation
-Ultralow output impedance, making them capable of driving any amplifier out there.
-80% the performance of the L-7000 at 1/3 the market price.
-new aluminum chassis Allnic remote control
-full factory warranty, quality build, and reliable with ongoing product support spanning the lifetime of the company.

Unfortunately, only a few chassis left.

Looks like a good design but the tubes used are not readily available. What will the unit sound like without those nos Mullard's. That's what I am worried about. I like preamps using 6sn7 or 12au7 or the more expensive 300b.

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
Tubes for the L-1500? I have been able to source these easily and they are cheap. Stocking a few sets would likely last you the duration of your unit. Fortunately, by my experience with Allnic in general, tubes last seemingly forever, especially for the line stages. Never had an L-1500, L-3000 mkii or L-4000 blow a tube. A few NOS 3A109a go microphonic and need replacement in the L-5000DHT. The L-10,000 OTL/OCL seems to lose a few Kron 300B as did the L5000 Kron 3A110b. But my experience with Kron is if the tube lasts 200 hours they last for a very long time. Kron still remains my personal favorite of all modern production tubes.

flm09

May 1, 2020
Tubes for the L-1500? I have been able to source these easily and they are cheap. Stocking a few sets would likely last you the duration of your unit. Fortunately, by my experience with Allnic in general, tubes last seemingly forever, especially for the line stages. Never had an L-1500, L-3000 mkii or L-4000 blow a tube. A few NOS 3A109a go microphonic and need replacement in the L-5000DHT. The L-10,000 OTL/OCL seems to lose a few Kron 300B as did the L5000 Kron 3A110b. But my experience with Kron is if the tube lasts 200 hours they last for a very long time. Kron still remains my personal favorite of all modern production tubes.

Ok thanks for letting me know. I am now looking for a DHT 300b pre.

Grady98

Apr 27, 2018
East Coast
I haven't heard the ET7 but own the ET5. It is excellent and the best preamp I have owned. Also use an Allnic H3000. These 2 units compliment each other making for a great front end.

As Ketchum mentioned Allnic seems to be very easy on tubes. I retubed mine after 5 or so years at a modest expense. As for the CJ lots of tube rolling opportunities. I have an excellent NOS Siemens. Good luck with your search.

flm09

May 1, 2020
I haven't heard the ET7 but own the ET5. It is excellent and the best preamp I have owned. Also use an Allnic H3000. These 2 units compliment each other making for a great front end.

As Ketchum mentioned Allnic seems to be very easy on tubes. I retubed mine after 5 or so years at a modest expense. As for the CJ lots of tube rolling opportunities. I have an excellent NOS Siemens. Good luck with your search.

Thanks Grady! Do you think the Allnic L1500 is better than your cj?

Grady98

Apr 27, 2018
East Coast
I've never heard an Allnic line stage. My best guess is they are similar in tone and detail. The CJ employs Teflon caps which is a departure from older CJ models. In my system it delivers a detailed, transparent, presentation with good dynamics - similar characteristics of my Allnic phono stage.

I've always been curious to try an Allnic line stage since I like my H3000 so much - but I love CJ also - have owned 3 CJ preamps and currently own 2. The ET5 just gets out of the way and doesn't call attention to itself.

flm09

May 1, 2020
I've never heard an Allnic line stage. My best guess is they are similar in tone and detail. The CJ employs Teflon caps which is a departure from older CJ models. In my system it delivers a detailed, transparent, presentation with good dynamics - similar characteristics of my Allnic phono stage.

I've always been curious to try an Allnic line stage since I like my H3000 so much - but I love CJ also - have owned 3 CJ preamps and currently own 2. The ET5 just gets out of the way and doesn't call attention to itself.

I really like my ET 3SE too. Just want to take my system to the next level with DHT 300b preamp. Have you tried Prima Luna products?

Grady98

Apr 27, 2018
East Coast
I really like my ET 3SE too. Just want to take my system to the next level with DHT 300b preamp. Have you tried Prima Luna products?

I haven't - I hear you about the next level. I am so happy with my system and room I haven't changed anything in quite a while. And I have always tinkered with this or that, swap in a cable, move the speakers, etc...nothing in many months.

A DHT 300b pre sounds interesting. Your ET3 SE is excellent.

flm09

May 1, 2020
I haven't - I hear you about the next level. I am so happy with my system and room I haven't changed anything in quite a while. And I have always tinkered with this or that, swap in a cable, move the speakers, etc...nothing in many months.

A DHT 300b pre sounds interesting. Your ET3 SE is excellent.
Once i get new pre wont make any major moves either!

Reactions: anan

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Assuming your source components aren't wimpy (and most are not), then the Emia silver autoformer is going to be a fantastic match with the XA25. That said, in terms of total cost, replacing the XA25 with the INT25 might make some sense.

flm09

May 1, 2020
Assuming your source components aren't wimpy (and most are not), then the Emia silver autoformer is going to be a fantastic match with the XA25. That said, in terms of total cost, replacing the XA25 with the INT25 might make some sense.

I like to have a tube in the preamp (DHT) to add bit of presence. I thought about going integrated like even moving to a Luxman but I like the Pass.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
A Vinnie Rossi top of the line DHT preamp might be the ticket for you. Not only do you have the choice to use 300bs, but like a Lampi, it allows rolling of other tube types like PX25, 45s, etc.

You can read more about it on Audiocircle.

flm09

May 1, 2020
A Vinnie Rossi top of the line DHT preamp might be the ticket for you. Not only do you have the choice to use 300bs, but like a Lampi, it allows rolling of other tube types like PX25, 45s, etc.

In my dreams! Financially out of my reach unfortunately!

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017

Did you have a chance to hear this preamp?

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Only at a show but never at home. I used to own his earlier preamp, the Isabella, and amp back in the day.

flm09

May 1, 2020
If you have the scratch should be killer. I now own Cayin 300b and the so called distortion generator has let me hear tone and detail previously missing other amplifying technologies.

Jono

Oct 27, 2017
Supratek Cabernet DHT .Or even better a Grange which includes a world class phono stage.And you buy direct from the maker so you avoid having to pay high retail mark ups.And like the Vini Rossi you can select between a few different DHTs-300bs or 45s for example.Also about a third the price of the Vinni Rossi.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing