Best Pressing of Black Sabbath Paranoid Album?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I heard last night for the first time Black Sabbath's Paranoid album.

I actually really liked a couple of the tracks! This pretty much represents as hard rock-y as I get, but I liked what I heard.

What pressing of this album should I get?

Does the original pressing offer the best sound?

Does one of the reissues sound better to you?

Thank you!

• Haha
Reactions: bonzo75

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron, Black Sabbath pressings are a saga. It's pretty much agreed that the first pressings are the best, most recent ones are poor, other than I believe 1996 Castle remasters and 2009 remasters.
They are the one band I particularly wished I'd got the 70s vinyl. My recent pressings have some of the most MIA bass ever from a classic rock band.

rob

Jul 11, 2012
I think most agree on LP, the original pressings sound better.

If you are open to CD, the 2004. Black Sabbath. Black Box remastered set sounds better to me than any of my LP's and i have many pressings.Contains the first 8 albums which are all worth having IMO. Great dynamics and punchy bass.
Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 11.51.49 am.png

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I like black sabbath and have being listening to there music since I was a teenager.I own two of there early release cds and they sound ok.i think original release is the way to go.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, gentlemen.

I am looking only for the vinyl (or legitimate tape).

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I like black sabbath and have being listening to there music since I was a teenager.I own two of there early release cds and they sound ok.i think original release is the way to go.

Thank you, Gary.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
I went through this same search a month ago. Yes, the original pressings but... WWA007 pressed at Phonodisk around 1973 with the 6360011 etching is said to have used the original stampers. I managed to pick up a NM version for a reasonable amount. Also has the nice Gatefold. Make sure you verify matrix numbers though with the seller if you go this route. Good Luck.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I heard last night for the first time Black Sabbath's Paranoid album.

I actually really liked a couple of the tracks! This pretty much represents as hard rock-y as I get, but I liked what I heard.

What pressing of this album should I get?

Does the original pressing offer the best sound?

Does one of the reissues sound better to you?

Thank you!

Welcome to rock. You are expanding beyond 15 music pieces.

I saw BS live in Hyde Park and the opening act was Soundgarden. I was not a fan of BS till I heard them live and then the LP was great. Bad pressings or digital have too much of lost bass to capture it. Leif also has tape.

The Vertigo Swirls are known to be the best but like 1000 - 2000 USD

assessor43

Nov 1, 2018
The Warner Brothers Green label earlier pressings are pretty good. Its just hard to find them in good shape. I have an earlier WWA pressing from the UK thats pretty good. It is supposed to sound very close to the Vertigo. supposedly, they used the stampers from the Vertigos on these pressings. I like my copy. It is definitely not lacking in bass, thats for sure.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Btw I bought a vertigo first press UK, without management credits

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I think most agree on LP, the original pressings sound better.

If you are open to CD, the 2004. Black Sabbath. Black Box remastered set sounds better to me than any of my LP's and i have many pressings.Contains the first 8 albums which are all worth having IMO. Great dynamics and punchy bass.
View attachment 85198
Ron Resnik, this 1000% you wont find better vinyl, they did an outstanding job. First time I heard it I never put the vinyl back on the table,
What did you end up doing?
Highly recommend Masters of Reality.
thanks Ked for bringing up thid relic.

Reactions: rob

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron Resnik, this 1000% you wont find better vinyl, they did an outstanding job. First time I heard it I never put the vinyl back on the table,
What did you end up doing?
Highly recommend Masters of Reality.
thanks Ked for bringing up thid relic.

Thank you, but I do not have a CD player.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing