Best single box cd player - any recommendations

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
I am on the verge of a decision wheter I should continue with transport+dac+clock or to switch to a one box cd player. Can I get your opinions on this.

My current digital configuration is Esoteric P-02+DCS Scarllati DAC+DCS Scarllati Clock.

Any comments on Burmester069, Soulution 5 and 7 series cd players, Metronome Kalista or any other digital single boxes vs separetes of Esoteric or DCS or MSB or EMM Labs?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
You already have an excellent DAC, I think only experimentation will allow any improvements.

The best digital system I have listened to was the Kalista with the C2A Signature DAC - but it was not with Soulution gear and it is not a single box CD player!

Sometimes synergy between pieces of equipment of the same manufacturer can make miracles - I would not miss the possibility of listening to the Soulution CD players. I have an ARC preamplifier and could not find a CD costing less than usd 20000 that could surpass the CD8 in my system.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I went from an Emmlabs CDSD - DCC2 combo to an Eera Tentation for redbook. The Emms are still around for SACD but I don't play CDs on it anymore.

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
I will also try out the soulution cd players as well. but Kalista integrated is also sound intresting.

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
I went from an Emmlabs CDSD - DCC2 combo to an Eera Tentation for redbook. The Emms are still around for SACD but I don't play CDs on it anymore.

which format do you play more? is format a choice for choosing the best?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I play CDs more only because I have more of them than I do SACDs. Most of the time I listen to LPs.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Only heard the Metronome Kalista and Kalista REference. Phenomenally natural, effortless...actually quite shocking when the music flows so easily, my ears were not expecting it. My advice? If you do go with Metronome...try to buy the 4cm thick clear laminate base they use for the Reference...its worth it. The sound spectrum was a little uneven when i heard it without...and it turns out its sensitivity to surface evenness is like a turntable (or worse)...but with the clear thick acrylic base...it was incredibly smooth, effortless and even.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I will also try out the soulution cd players as well. but Kalista integrated is also sound intresting.

I hosted the Kalista integrated for one week - it was more detailed than my CD8, and had better low bass. But my enthusiasm over it was not too great. However when I listened to the whole system with the separate DAC I found it in a completely different league.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'd also check out the new Playback Designs single unit. Think there's a post somewhere here that Jonathan Tinn posted about its debut at the Newport Show?

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
If you do go with Metronome...try to buy the 4cm thick clear laminate base they use for the Reference...its worth it. The sound spectrum was a little uneven when i heard it without...and it turns out its sensitivity to surface evenness is like a turntable (or worse)...but with the clear thick acrylic base...it was incredibly smooth, effortless and even.
And that's how fussy you have to be with digital -- it's worse than vinyl ...!!!

Frank

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Actually, the one he'd want is the MP-S5 unless it is not necessary to have SACD features.

The new unit is a series 3 DAC, although as I understand it there will be (or maybe already is an MPS-3)a 3 series with transport but unlike the MPS-5 it plays only redbook and not SACD
This is a link to the newly released version

http://www.playbackdesigns.com/mpd3.html

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I was very impressed with the latest Spectral CD players. Expensive but the best I have heard for CD playback.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Exactly. The MPS-3. The one Jonathan had at the show was the MPD-3

So let me ask you :) You use the PD in your system but sound like you really like the new Spectral better. The PD was the best digital, esp. in the recreation of dimensionality and harmonics and the closest to the tape in comparison, that I've heard. If I had to plunk down money for digital playback, it would be the PD :) Does the Spectral have different strengths or do you feel is overall better?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I don't like the Spectral better having lived with the PDS-5 for a few years now. Having said that the Spectral costs $5K more and only plays Redbook. Played in an all Spectral system it was very engaging. I like the PD MS-5 so much that I will be buying new outboard USB box for upsampling to 384 Khz Redbook and 6.1 Mhz DSD

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I don't like the Spectral better having lived with the PDS-5 for a few years now. Having said that the Spectral costs $5K more and only plays Redbook. Played in an all Spectral system it was very engaging. I like the PD MS-5 so much that I will be buying new outboard USB box for upsampling to 384 Khz Redbook and 6.1 Mhz DSD

Gr8! Thanks for you insights Steve! From what I heard with Bruce's high rez files, ought to be a real treat!

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
my only worry is that metronome is still using an old drive mechanism whereas esoteric ones are quite solid and becoming an industry wide standard

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing