Best Small Horn speaker? Horn speaker lovers. (Piano sound)

Sangbro

Dec 19, 2020
Hello,

As I study about speakers, I develop great interest in horn speakers.

It’s not mainstream mass market, and honestly, I didn’t have any knowledge before.

Personally, for Classical / Jazz music that are mainly for instruments, horn speakers have its charm.
(Distinctive sonic character, Fast Speaker - that I recently understand, Amp efficent)
Especially I try to find the piano sound, closer to the real piano sound - better.

The limitation for me is, most of them are huge and heavy by its nature. My room is 14ft by14ft with 8.5 ft ceiling.

Do you know any small size horn speakers? (Also except Klipsch - personal preference)

So far, what I find are,

1) Avantgarde Uno Fino - 121lbs (55kg) per unit, I really like vocals, all other instruments except piano. This speaker makes Bosendorf sound like Yamaha.

2) Cessaro Wagner - 242lbs (110kg)... yes it’s too big... please just leave this one as the reference

3) Odeon Helix - 112 lbs (51kg) per unit - Piano sounds little glassy (?), also no dealer in the US so no chance to do real extensive listening

... And it doesn’t look like the conventional horn (hybrid? I don’t know)

4) Horning Aristotle - 88lbs (40kg) per unit - Only two dealers so I far I know. All too far. Not much information around in my area.

5) Oswald / Fleetwood sound - the Size is in the range, at least there seems to be one dealer in LA area, plan to audition

6) AudioKinesis Gina - the speaker I’d like to really want to know. Basically almost perfect specs that I’m looking for. Genuinely curious how it sounds.

7) Viking - Sounds good, comforting. Sill no dealer, no chance to hear.

Is there any other small - under 125lbs (56kg) size? Indeed it’s for a room size 14ft x 14ft (4m x 4m),
so, even smaller size would fit. (Later I might move this to 20ft x 15ft, but still not big.)

Problems are, all of them are very difficult to reach and get in my area.

For me living in SoCal USA (around LA), Odeon is completely unavailable.
This brand has really terrific speakers not just horn, and some history but somehow there are not many dealers.
It’s puzzling me when the brand like this doesn’t have many dealers, and no dealer in the US.
I heard this in Asia during my current business trip.

Horn type speakers are hard to find. (Even in LA area...
:(
)

So far my speaker hunt starts from...

Focal/SF/B&W/Wilson/Revel and other mainstream brands

To -> Harbeth(30.1) / GrahamLS5/9 -> Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby/Brodmann(former Bosendorfer) VC2

Finding Piano sounds is a harder journey than I initially expect.

I would appreciate any advice / thoughts.

Cheers.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
My room is about your size and I’ve been using Viking for the past 7 years. I’m waiting for my fourth pair to arrive. Obviously happy with the Viking sound but I don’t listen to piano or jazz so can’t comment on that.

Reactions: Sangbro

Sangbro

Dec 19, 2020
My room is about your size and I’ve been using Viking for the past 7 years. I’m waiting for my fourth pair to arrive. Obviously happy with the Viking sound but I don’t listen to piano or jazz so can’t comment on that.
Can I ask you what model do you put. I your room? For me Berlin looks like a interesting fit.

I’d like to really hear how the speaker plays piano, but not even many youtube videos.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Hi Sangbro,
I love piano. I am beyond happy with how my Pureaudioproject Trio Horn1s do replay a concert grand (or two in this case). Other than live my speaker reference for piano is how my Magnepan 20.7s play piano. I now prefer the Pap Trio horns for this music.

So I am happier with horns because they play it all now and also allow me to use SET (which is the way I’d always go with horns). I’m looking forward to hearing how Radian beryllium compression drivers play this in the next build.

Last edited:

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Can I ask you what model do you put. I your room? For me Berlin looks like a interesting fit.

I’d like to really hear how the speaker plays piano, but not even many youtube videos.

I have the Berlin Mk3 on order now, which will be finished off soon. I have had three previous Briton models which are no longer offered. I don’t think evaluating a speaker through YouTube will do much benefit.

Sangbro

Dec 19, 2020
Hi Sangbro,
I love piano. I am beyond happy with how my Pureaudioproject Trio Horn1s do replay a concert grand (or two in this case). Other than live my speaker reference for piano is how my Magnepan 20.7s play piano. I now prefer the Pap Trio horns for this music.

So I am happier with horns because they play it all now and also allow me to use SET (which is the way I’d always go with horns). I’m looking forward to hearing how Radian beryllium compression drivers play this in the next build.

Very interesting speaker. So I guess you like horn set up better than Voxativ.

Indeed, the video you link, that is one of the best online videos I’ve heard. Martha Argerich’s Steinway does sound like Steinway, not Yamaha like so many other speakers. It’s still online video, so I need to listen in person, but still impressive.

Magnepan has too much electric sort of sound that is not my personal preference.

My plan is getting one for Piano(Classical music) and Harbeth 30.1 for all other comfort listening.

Thank you.

Sangbro

Dec 19, 2020
I have the Berlin Mk3 on order now, which will be finished off soon. I have had three previous Briton models which are no longer offered. I don’t think evaluating a speaker through YouTube will do much benefit.
It seems they’re doing huge sale (30%... wow. For both speakers and amp), and want me to do some impulse buying.

Yes, I totally agree that YouTube video should not be any serious decision factor. Still I can briefly guess what sort of sonic characteristic a certain speaker pursues. I need to in-person listening to make a final call, and in terms of horn speakers it’s not easy.
I’m in SoCal area.

Reactions: christoph

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Very interesting speaker. So I guess you like horn set up better than Voxativ.

Indeed, the video you link, that is one of the best online videos I’ve heard. Martha Argerich’s Steinway does sound like Steinway, not Yamaha like so many other speakers. It’s still online video, so I need to listen in person, but still impressive.

Magnepan has too much electric sort of sound that is not my personal preference.

My plan is getting one for Piano(Classical music) and Harbeth 30.1 for all other comfort listening.

Thank you.
I do prefer the horns I have to the Voxativ

The Harbeth 30.1s are lovely, I had a pair and picked up the 40.2s since then. I use them for day to day and in an open living space.

The Magnepans do sound pretty much like whatever you pair them with, if you’re happy with SS amps then a pair of large ribbons will likely do piano best of all.

It’s because high efficiency speakers can be matched with SET that is the reason (along with more lifelike dynamics) that I have fallen for horns as my primary speakers.

Also absolutely a video isn’t the right way to choose speakers (nor is reviews or the advice of others really sufficient for such a fundamental choice) but it is however a great way to help shortlist them as basic characteristics and tonality do clearly come through.

Not many speakers do justice to a concert grand... you need something special if you’re looking for something convincing and approaching any authenticity. Looking towards full range range is completely necessary and a light left hand because of smaller woofers is as I’m sure you know really not up to it. Good luck with the search... doing piano justice is always a make or break characteristic for me in a speaker as well.

Last edited:

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
I do prefer the horns I have to the Voxativ

The Harbeth 30.1s are lovely, I had a pair and picked up the 40.2s since then. I use them for day to day and in an open living space.

The Magnepans do sound pretty much like whatever you pair them with, if you’re happy with SS amps then a pair of large ribbons will likely do piano best of all.

It’s because high efficiency speakers can be matched with SET that is the reason (along with more lifelike dynamics) that I have fallen for horns as my primary speakers.

Also absolutely a video isn’t the right way to choose speakers (nor is reviews or the advice of others really sufficient for such a fundamental choice) but it is however a great way to help shortlist them as basic characteristics and tonality do clearly come through.

Not many speakers do justice to a concert grand... you need something special if you’re looking for something convincing and approaching any authenticity. Looking towards full range range is completely necessary and a light left hand because of smaller woofers is as I’m sure you know really not up to it. Good luck with the search... doing piano justice is always a make or break characteristic for me in a speaker as well.
I have these, they are superb:
12FH | Fullrange Hornspeaker | Tobian Soundsystems (tobian-soundsystems.com)

JP

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
I have heard the Horning but the older version. Did like it and it played all types well but was a limited session. I’ve heard the Fleetwood a bunch of times, from prototype to current. Let’s just say that I am planning on selling my Tannoys and getting a pair. My room is about 3x the volume of yours and I’ve heard the Fleetwoods fill a similar space. Go audition, don’t think you will be disappointed.

Beau

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Check out Charney Audio, New Jersey. I own his Concertos and will soon upgrade to the AER BD3 driver from the Lowther D4. Brian makes smaller horn speakers, too.

What amps are you using on them

Sangbro

Dec 19, 2020
I have heard the Horning but the older version. Did like it and it played all types well but was a limited session. I’ve heard the Fleetwood a bunch of times, from prototype to current. Let’s just say that I am planning on selling my Tannoys and getting a pair. My room is about 3x the volume of yours and I’ve heard the Fleetwoods fill a similar space. Go audition, don’t think you will be disappointed.

Beau
for me, It’s really frustraing that there is no way to actually hear all these wonderful speakers mentioned in person.
I am sure they are all great, but they would be all different, and I can’t figure out which one is right for me.

Fleetwood, at least there is one dealer in LA.

Just curiousity, have you comared Fleetwood to Oswald speakers?
In terms of sound quality alone, what do you think?

I know Fleetwood is an affordable version of Oswald, but don’t know how Oswald makes it affordable.
I wish they only deduct from design premium and R&D cost, and provide the similar sound quality.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
It seems they’re doing huge sale (30%... wow. For both speakers and amp), and want me to do some impulse buying.

Yes, I totally agree that YouTube video should not be any serious decision factor. Still I can briefly guess what sort of sonic characteristic a certain speaker pursues. I need to in-person listening to make a final call, and in terms of horn speakers it’s not easy.
I’m in SoCal area.
New Mexico isn't too far. I'm in NorCal, and have wanted to hear Viking L'Instrument Mk3 for a while. (By the way, I suspect they'd work in your room). If it weren't for the wuflu, I'd have taken the trip by now. Maybe this summer.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Hello,

As I study about speakers, I develop great interest in horn speakers.

It’s not mainstream mass market, and honestly, I didn’t have any knowledge before.

Personally, for Classical / Jazz music that are mainly for instruments, horn speakers have its charm.
(Distinctive sonic character, Fast Speaker - that I recently understand, Amp efficent)
Especially I try to find the piano sound, closer to the real piano sound - better.

The limitation for me is, most of them are huge and heavy by its nature. My room is 14ft by14ft with 8.5 ft ceiling.

Do you know any small size horn speakers? (Also except Klipsch - personal preference)

So far, what I find are,

1) Avantgarde Uno Fino - 121lbs (55kg) per unit, I really like vocals, all other instruments except piano. This speaker makes Bosendorf sound like Yamaha.

2) Cessaro Wagner - 242lbs (110kg)... yes it’s too big... please just leave this one as the reference

3) Odeon Helix - 112 lbs (51kg) per unit - Piano sounds little glassy (?), also no dealer in the US so no chance to do real extensive listening

... And it doesn’t look like the conventional horn (hybrid? I don’t know)

4) Horning Aristotle - 88lbs (40kg) per unit - Only two dealers so I far I know. All too far. Not much information around in my area.

5) Oswald / Fleetwood sound - the Size is in the range, at least there seems to be one dealer in LA area, plan to audition

6) AudioKinesis Gina - the speaker I’d like to really want to know. Basically almost perfect specs that I’m looking for. Genuinely curious how it sounds.

7) Viking - Sounds good, comforting. Sill no dealer, no chance to hear.

Is there any other small - under 125lbs (56kg) size? Indeed it’s for a room size 14ft x 14ft (4m x 4m),
so, even smaller size would fit. (Later I might move this to 20ft x 15ft, but still not big.)

Problems are, all of them are very difficult to reach and get in my area.

For me living in SoCal USA (around LA), Odeon is completely unavailable.
This brand has really terrific speakers not just horn, and some history but somehow there are not many dealers.
It’s puzzling me when the brand like this doesn’t have many dealers, and no dealer in the US.
I heard this in Asia during my current business trip.

Horn type speakers are hard to find. (Even in LA area...
:(
)

So far my speaker hunt starts from...

Focal/SF/B&W/Wilson/Revel and other mainstream brands

To -> Harbeth(30.1) / GrahamLS5/9 -> Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby/Brodmann(former Bosendorfer) VC2

Finding Piano sounds is a harder journey than I initially expect.

I would appreciate any advice / thoughts.

Cheers.
I'm a big fan of PBN audio speakers. Below is a link to his smallish horn speakers. I'm also in So Cal and you're welcome to come hear the larger ones once vaccinated.

My system:

PBN's smaller horns:

Sangbro

Dec 19, 2020
New Mexico isn't too far. I'm in NorCal, and have wanted to hear Viking L'Instrument Mk3 for a while. (By the way, I suspect they'd work in your room). If it weren't for the wuflu, I'd have taken the trip by now. Maybe this summer.
Time for road trip? Haha.

Sangbro

Dec 19, 2020
I'm a big fan of PBN audio speakers. Below is a link to his smallish horn speakers. I'm also in So Cal and you're welcome to come hear the larger ones once vaccinated.

My system:

PBN's smaller horns:
Thank you very much for the generous offering.

Just my personal experience story.

Due to my profession, I got 2 times, (or maybe 3 times not even sure) - also treat about more than 300+ by now.
I saw #2 patient about 9 months ago in SoCal.
In addition, from LA, I guess my wife got it, my kids (11month/6yr) got it, my father in law (72yr) got it.
Maybe my mother in law too. I just kept them in house until get better.
I had experience with this virus from first corona pandemic in Asia about 15 years ago. We still have same treatment, and
the vaccine is from the prototype that developed during that time.

Unless you have other serious heath condition, (meaning that you are vulnerable from any other type of illness such as diabetes, pneumonia, seasonal influenza etc) usually main symptoms are little body ache, mild fever, usually get better within 1-3 days.
Among my patients, except less than 20 people, I honestly do not see the reason for them to visit the hospital.
My family were all recover without a hiccup. My case, I don’t even care anymore.
From my experience, last seasonal influenza cases were more serious.

I’ve been PCR tested more than dozen times, recently a week ago. A really disturbing test.
Honestly, PCR tests hurt me more than the virus itself. Vaccine scares me more In terms of numbers and data.

Of course It’s your choice, and do whatever you think the right.
I have little bit of stock of Modena and Astrazenecca so vaccine would at least help me buying new audio system.
But personally after I see the data and experience, I would not get vaccinated.
So, sadly I think this would make me miss a chance again. :(

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Doesn’t the current vaccine do nothing to prevent you from getting it and spreading it? I read it does not kill the virus, it only helps to limit the sickness the infected person gets.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Thank you very much for the generous offering.

Just my personal experience story.

Due to my profession, I got 2 times, (or maybe 3 times not even sure) - also treat about more than 300+ by now.
I saw #2 patient about 9 months ago in SoCal.
In addition, from LA, I guess my wife got it, my kids (11month/6yr) got it, my father in law (72yr) got it.
Maybe my mother in law too. I just kept them in house until get better.
I had experience with this virus from first corona pandemic in Asia about 15 years ago. We still have same treatment, and
the vaccine is from the prototype that developed during that time.

Unless you have other serious heath condition, (meaning that you are vulnerable from any other type of illness such as diabetes, pneumonia, seasonal influenza etc) usually main symptoms are little body ache, mild fever, usually get better within 1-3 days.
Among my patients, except less than 20 people, I honestly do not see the reason for them to visit the hospital.
My family were all recover without a hiccup. My case, I don’t even care anymore.
From my experience, last seasonal influenza cases were more serious.

I’ve been PCR tested more than dozen times, recently a week ago. A really disturbing test.
Honestly, PCR tests hurt me more than the virus itself. Vaccine scares me more In terms of numbers and data.

Of course It’s your choice, and do whatever you think the right.
I have little bit of stock of Modena and Astrazenecca so vaccine would at least help me buying new audio system.
But personally after I see the data and experience, I would not get vaccinated.
So, sadly I think this would make me miss a chance again. :(
The last seasonal influenza infected a fraction of the people that have contracted Covid-19. In the USA there were 39,000 deaths in the USA due to the 2019 seasonal Influenza vs 318,000 deaths in the USA from Covid. Also, the mechanism of the mRNA vaccines are clearly understood and have been tested on 100,000+ people. You should spend a few minutes to read about how these new vaccines work, they are completely different from the live/weakened/dead vaccines of the past 100 years.

Good luck on your speaker search.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Doesn’t the current vaccine do nothing to prevent you from getting it and spreading it? I read it does not kill the virus, it only helps to limit the sickness the infected person gets.
Watch this video, the vaccine does stop you from getting the virus.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing