best thing i have read in a very long time....

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I don't know any truths about the correlation of societies with financial instruments. I do know that past performance is indicative of possible performance whereas the absence of past performance is indicative of nothing.
One thing you can guarantee is that when a society gets desperate it opens the door to demagogues and totalitarianism.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Reactions: Alrainbow

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I think events in the UK yesterday show we're not going this route anytime soon.

JeromeFrancis

Dec 9, 2023
Zurich
Are you talking about the support benefits for Musk or low income workers? From the tone on this thread I'll guess the later. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's interesting, and discouraging, that so much attention is given to lower income social benefits while benefits for high income groups are ignored. The tax code is full of breaks for the wealthy, add in patents, copyrights, and trademarks, labor laws that make unionization difficult or impossible, courts that historically favor those with resources to hire representation - the list is long.

All of these things are not granted by a supreme being - they are conscious policy decisions.
All of these things are taxes on society and benefits to upper income brackets. A few examples: Walmart workers qualifying for food stamps and other public benefits. Bezos not collecting state sales taxes, giving him an automatic price advantage over goods sold locally. Musk receiving ~$9 billion in public tax subsidies.

I know many of you like to believe that your hard work and savvy are the reasons for your success. If that's all it took the Four Seasons in Maui would be full of home health aides and cow milkers. How do I know about the Four Seasons in Maui? Pharma patents and the ability for my employer to deduct "business" expenses, thank you very much. Pretty good racket, if you are lucky like me and can get it. And BTW, I used to milk cows for a living.

The gap between lines on this graph is allowing the purchase of some nice audio gear:

View attachment 94205
My motive for posting this is to encourage you to be critical of both high income and low income dole. Otherwise it's just selfish and cruel.
Let’s not be marxists by criticizing one group over the other, whether it’s income or any other demographic attribute and lets judge individually based on character and behavior. If the ESG people come to take my amplifier due to its power consumption, i’ll resist. ESG programs need to be shut down for the sake of all audio enthusiasts. They already ruined the automotive industry.

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing