Best violin I heard

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
Are you referring to the Oistrakh recording? If so it might interest you to know that the actual violin he used might have been a Strad, but it wasn't a great one. Yes, it was obviously better than many out there but even Itzhak Perlman agreed that it really was not a great instrument. And as my violin teacher used to say to me, Oistrakh could make any violin sound good. And this is true. What you are hearing there is mainly the player, not the instrument. Even ignoring his superlative left hand technique, his right arm (bow arm) technique was so incredibly evolved that he could pull a great sound out of anything. I'd go so far as to say I know of no other violinist who had a right arm technique even close to Oistrakh, all the other greats included.

As for the recording, yes it is quite a good Decca but the best issue of it in my opinion was the relatively recent ORG 45 RPM one - not the one in the photo. Obviously the ORG version is the London label one with the completely different cover for the US market.

andi

Apr 9, 2012
Germany
You are right, this recording is great.
But if you like this because of the playing, try to get the EMI vinyl Release of his birthday concert ( for Melodiya) of Tchaikowskys Violinconcert.
Sound quality is not very good, but the playing and atmosphere of this recording is outstanding.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3t1p4_oistrakh-tchaikovsky-violin-concert_music

Years ago I found it in London for 50 pence not knowing what a killer it is (for me). At home I found out that it had issues with the pressing. I remembered that I have seen another copy in Notting Hills record exchange for 3 GBP. I travellled to London the following weekend and bought it.
In the meantime I own around 10 releases of this recording. But the EMI, by far, is the best one. Would love to get an original russian pressing.

Andreas

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Are you referring to the Oistrakh recording? If so it might interest you to know that the actual violin he used might have been a Strad, but it wasn't a great one. Yes, it was obviously better than many out there but even Itzhak Perlman agreed that it really was not a great instrument. And as my violin teacher used to say to me, Oistrakh could make any violin sound good. And this is true. What you are hearing there is mainly the player, not the instrument. Even ignoring his superlative left hand technique, his right arm (bow arm) technique was so incredibly evolved that he could pull a great sound out of anything. I'd go so far as to say I know of no other violinist who had a right arm technique even close to Oistrakh, all the other greats included.

As for the recording, yes it is quite a good Decca but the best issue of it in my opinion was the relatively recent ORG 45 RPM one - not the one in the photo. Obviously the ORG version is the London label one with the completely different cover for the US market.

Great post, very interesting.
Thanks
Orb

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks guys, just saw this. I got the LP - also watched Bruch's Violin Concerto live. Part of the reason why I enjoyed hearing it so much at the time of posting is also that it was on a Western Electric speaker/amp combo at Munich

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing