Best way to connect a Sony BRAVIA X900F to JBL SCS136 surround sound system

RevChuck

Jul 5, 2022
I am hoping someone can help me figure out the best way to connect a Sony BRAVIA X900F to JBL SCS136 surround sound system.

I won a JBL SCS136 surround sound system around 20 years ago and put it sealed on a shelf in the basement. As I didn't have a proper entertainment room at the time, I forgot about it. Now I am trying to connect it to a much newer Sony BRAVIA X900F TV.

The TV only seems to have optical audio output, and the JBL system only has RCA inputs and a LFE input.

1) Is there a way to find an adapter that goes from digital audio to RCA + LFE?

2) Do I need to buy an AV receiver to connect everything?

3) Is this even worth doing?

If anyone has suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I am hoping someone can help me figure out the best way to connect a Sony BRAVIA X900F to JBL SCS136 surround sound system.

I won a JBL SCS136 surround sound system around 20 years ago and put it sealed on a shelf in the basement. As I didn't have a proper entertainment room at the time, I forgot about it. Now I am trying to connect it to a much newer Sony BRAVIA X900F TV.

The TV only seems to have optical audio output, and the JBL system only has RCA inputs and a LFE input.

1) Is there a way to find an adapter that goes from digital audio to RCA + LFE?

2) Do I need to buy an AV receiver to connect everything?

3) Is this even worth doing?

If anyone has suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!
Hello @RevChuck,
This set of speakers is passive (except the subwoofer), which means you need an AV receiver to drive them. Something from Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo... The choice is very big, but for those speakers, a simple model will suffice.

Is it worth doing? I think so. Better sound improves the experience of watching movies and playing games.

RevChuck

Jul 5, 2022
Thank you again!

If you don't mind two more questions -

1) All of the receivers that I have been looking at don't seem to have an LFE output. These speakers have two SW inputs and one LFE input, the receivers all seem to have only the two SW outputs. What can I do with the LFE input?

2) This set of speakers also has a rear right, rear centre, and rear left speaker, but all of the receivers that I see only have the rear right and rear left outputs. Can you daisy chain the left and right together into the centre speaker to combine both signals? That would basically create the centre feed fairly correctly.

Cheers!!

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Thank you again!

If you don't mind two more questions -

1) All of the receivers that I have been looking at don't seem to have an LFE output. These speakers have two SW inputs and one LFE input, the receivers all seem to have only the two SW outputs. What can I do with the LFE input?

2) This set of speakers also has a rear right, rear centre, and rear left speaker, but all of the receivers that I see only have the rear right and rear left outputs. Can you daisy chain the left and right together into the centre speaker to combine both signals? That would basically create the centre feed fairly correctly.

Cheers!!
1. To connect the subwoofer to the receiver you need to connect the LFE input of the sub to the SUBWOOFER out on the receiver. In the configuration of the receiver, you will set up an option that you have a sub. That's it :)
2. No, that's impossible. I think that the rear centre will be unused. To be honest, I have never heard of a rear centre channel. Treat it as a spare :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing