Best XLR connectors money can buy?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Honestly, I'm surprised this thread is even active. Arguing which connector and cable is best is just pointless as Francisco suggests. If someone likes copper, great. Same for rhodium although I do not consider rhodium plating on interconnects great, good or bad but rather unlistenable. And yet, I'm still surprised by uses of some materials in specific applications. For example, I have a complete loom of Masterbuilt Ultras and that are terminated in gold plated copper for source components, but with Bocchino Sliver XLRs from preamp to amp. I thought, hey, if I liked the silver Bocchino's so well in that run, perhaps I'll try a pair from source to preamp. So even though it took 6 months to get a pair, thy finally arrived and when I hooked them up, I was stunned by how bad it was! I thought, Oh, this must be break-in. So I waited, and waited, and waited some more, like I was Waiting for Godot. I finally came to grips that they sucked. Brittle, unmusical, and harsh. I have no earthly idea why. Therefore I then had them reterminated with Nex Gen WBTs (gold/copper) and voila, the magic is back and then some. After many years, it just keeps coming back to me in spades that there are no reliable rules for so much of what we do. Preference is all we have. That's really all there is.

Kind of reminds me of a story....
Many years ago in college, I was listening to a radio show where they were suggesting what you could take that was a legal high. Some guy called in and said that smoking Crayola crayons worked great. About an hour later, another caller dial-in gagging and coughing as he waited for an ambulance to arrive to take him to the hospital. Told the listeners they didn't work!! Duh. Like that poor bastard, audiophiles just have to find out for themselves what works and what makes you gag. (And no, that guy wasn't me!)

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
Even considering there is no best in this hobby, it would be great to know why you prefer these materials - experience, technical reasons, etc .?
Only personal experience and careful testing in my system.

johndoe21ro

Oct 3, 2012
Europe
Xhadow are probably the best XLR connectors on the market... ETI come close!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high-end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing