BetterCables Silver Serpent Air Interconnect?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Has anyone ever heard of BetterCables?

Have you ever tried Silver Serpent Air Interconnect?

How does it sound compared to any other reasonably well-known interconnect cable?

Thank you!

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
I love this RCA interconnect. I use them on my 2 cassette decks and a tuner and had the same positive reaction to their sound on each component.
The tone when using them sounds correct, natural and pleasurable to me and I recommend you try a pair directly from them or from Amazon.

Years ago, I had previously used their base level Silver Serpent interconnects in some earlier small systems ( before my 2 main current systems) and I still use them around the house and in a low powered system of vintage Pioneer gear. I thought those were very decent for the price and USA build so I occasionally check if they have any new products.

So what did I like the Silver Serpent Air better than? Audioquest Earth, Iconoclast 1x4 OCC (their best), a very old version of Audioquest WEL, and the base-level BetterCables Silver Serpent. It wasn't even close how much more I liked the Silver Serpent Air.

What is surprising is that the BetterCables "flagship" XLR sounds awful to me while the Iconoclast OCC 4x4 XLR is one of the best XLR cables I've heard after trying or using those on different components in the same systems I currently use the Silver Serpent Air.

I currently use Audioquest Dragon and Iconoclast in one system and Siltech Triple Crown in the other and believe it or not, I think the Silver Serpent AIR RCA is right at home performance-wise on the components I use them on in those systems.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you very much for this very relevant report!

But I’m a little puzzled that the same cable would sound great single-ended and awful balanced, or the other way around.

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
Thank you very much for this very relevant report!

But I’m a little puzzled that the same cable would sound great single-ended and awful balanced, or the other way around.
I don't know why that's the case either. But construction and a couple of measurements of the Iconoclast cable are different in the RCA vs XLR. Is that the reason they sound different on the same piece of gear? I don't know for sure. As far as BetterCables is concerned, their flagship XLR isn't the same as the Silver Serpent Air you asked about and are even less alike vs the Iconoclast cables.

The Audioquest Earth has a similar character in both RCA and XLR versions but the XLR still sounds better and clearer.

But in any case the BetterCables Silver Serpent Air RCA sounds better than any of the other RCA cables to me.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

spearl8

Sep 16, 2021
I have tried Better cables speaker cables and blue truth xlr’s. The company is friendly and easy to work with. They have taken returns back from me no problem. I think for the price they are pretty good. I needed a temporary holdover cable for a 7M run and they seemed to be pretty good.

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
A follow up - I recently changed tape decks to a model that I would say is more neutral and revealing.
I found myself unsatisfied with the BetterCables Silver Serpent Air so I brought out the Audioquest Earth and Iconoclast 1x4 OCC to compare.

In this instance the Iconoclast was my clear favorite being the most detailed, balanced and extended across the frequency range, and sounding nonfatiguing.

The AQ Earth RCA was still not very good and still sounds inferior to the XLR version of this cable.

The BetterCables Silver Serpent Air had a little too much bass and high frequencies on this particular tape deck. I'm still using it another deck and like it but on the new deck it sounded like it had a smiley-face eq sound which led to listening fatigue.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Very interesting! Another vote for Iconoclast!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing