Bird Box

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Saw this today on Netflix where few if any decent films are out and it was cold and overcast. It has been getting a lot of hype and Sandra Bullock has been on the circuit promoting the film

Suffice it to say, this is a story that has been told many different times with many different variations, all with the element of fear from some hidden force or alien or whatever one can conjure up in their minds

From Rotten Tomatoes which gave it a 62% I thought this quote said it all.........

Critics Consensus: Bird Boxnever quite reaches its intriguing potential, but strong acting and an effectively chilly mood offer intermittently creepy compensation

Definitely worth a look as run time is 2 hours

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I watched it the other day. Overall I would rate it @ around 35 (out of 100).
I let myself being influenced by some news media regarding some real footage of Lac Megantic tragedy. Netflix was asked to remove it but they didn't.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I guessed the ending way too easily :(

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
All the PC stuff and stereotyped casting of predictable characters for the Hollywood Aggro Social Message hit the vomit meter too fast for me, couldn't watch it past the grocery store scene.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
A Quiet Place was a MUCH better movie than Bird Box. Netflix was basically trying to copy it with this non-scary movie.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
A Quiet Place is a cool flix. The acting is convincing, Emily Blunt is terrific, and the sound effects perfect.

Bird Box is not in the same league, but it does have its guilty pleasure moments...with John Malkovich and some of the stuff going on in his house with some of his guests.
...And the ride to the supermarket and inside the supermarket.

To me its a comedic horror show.

By the way, Emily Blunt won a SAG Award for her performance in A Quiet Place.
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role. She was truly good.
I thought she was the Lead Female Actor?

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
The story has been told before (Quite Place, The Happening, The Darkest Hour, etc.) but Bird Box was fun and a great watch on my last flight. Another, and I think better Sci-fi with invisible monsters, was Spectral. Also available on Netflix.

Reactions: KeithR

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
All the PC stuff and stereotyped casting of predictable characters for the Hollywood Aggro Social Message hit the vomit meter too fast for me, couldn't watch it past the grocery store scene.

So true.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing