Blade Runner 2049

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Bob
Mr V is a good director especially when he has a good script. I like how he didn't linger on the violence in Sicario while it's actually being committed and not loosing its power such as finally arriving at Jiefe's family. You know their seconds are numbered.

I agree Ron; Denis Villeneuve is a good and intelligent and creative and imaginative and artistic filmmaker. This 2049 sequel should honor the original visually and aurally and atmospherically/immersively.
It should have that intelligent construction aura, because first Denis is a French Canadian from Quebec, and second because he is good. :b

? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_Villeneuve

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Went to see Blade Runner 2049 today - outstanding movie in my opinion. I saw the regular version, not 3D or IMAX.

Beautifully made, special effects quite well done and the acting was very good. I did think the females actors outperformed the male actors in this movie. Sylvia Hoeks was especially good...and frightening...as the character Luv.

Passed my watch test, too. Long movie at 2 hours and 43 minutes and I didn't check the time once.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I have read that the 3D conversion is inferior. Normally that would be the version I would go see; but in this case here, from Denis Villeneuve's own vision, I am going to see it in regular flamboyant 2D.

I trust the 3D experts, and not the 3D reviewers from some obscure mickey mouse websites.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Saw it and it is by all measure (IMHO) better than the original.. there are a few head scratching issues about the plot, especially the reliance on replicants in a world so technologically advanced but the gist of the movies, the metaphor about what it’s to be “Human” is never lost. Slow, atmospheric, superb soundtrack, excellent acting, superb cinematography: A great movie. Villeneuve has something going. Would like to see how he approaches lighter fares. His las two movies, both excellent IMHO, are dark. Even the color palette is muted in both: Arrival and Blade Runner 2049.

Waiting to see how the public reacts to this movie. Action scenes were not plentiful but when they came! wow!

A must see.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
See if you can spot the small typo in the first paragraph of this preview.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhu...sly-accomplishes-the-impossible/#55cf69196e4a

Total cost, with advertising...all that jazz...roughly $300 million.
Rotten Tomatoes: 89%
Metacritic: 81%
___

Extra:
¤ https://www.rogerdeakins.com/film-talk/blade-runner-2049-2d-or-3d/
¤ https://www.quora.com/Would-you-see-Blade-Runner-2049-in-IMAX-or-Dolby

Opening:
¤ https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...ombs-with-disastrous-13m-friday/#7f47bace4f15

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The test above is fun, you should take it. :b
_____

One of the decor sets of Blade Runner 2049:

http://www.icgmagazine.com/web/humanity-2-0/

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I’ll keep it short for those who haven’t seen it, but I thought it was excellent though didn’t quite hit the soulful depths of the first for a couple of reasons.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Good movie, but not a trully great one. Certainly not a future classic like the original Blade Runner.

Honestly, I was kind of disappointed after reading all those positive reviews. Maybe I was expecting too much.

The original Blade Runner still rules supreme in my book - no contest.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Good move, but not a trully great one. Certainly not a future classic like the original Blade Runner.

Honestly, I was kind of disappointed after reading all those positive reviews. Maybe I was expecting too much.

The original Blade Runner still rules supreme in my book - no contest.

Same here. Too long. Imax 3d effects kept me engaged. Amazing how Ryan Gosling manages to get so many roles without a single expression

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Not all reviews are great: https://www.urbandaddy.com/articles/40690/its-hard-to-give-a-sht-about-blade-runner-2049

Some people put it on the list of the best films of the last decade.

For visuals and sounds best is to see it in a Dolby Cinema, with Dolby Atmos sound and HDR from dual aligned projectors, and in total darkness. Not many theaters conformed to this, and not many are calibrated sound wise. Many people complained about being too loud, too much bass, in general.
The visual compositions are praised. ...The cinematography.
The film is 163 minutes long, and it is rather slow.

It was filmed with 2D in mind, not 3D. ...And in wide-screen being intended Vistas, decor sets, over IMAX.
But like anything in life our preferences vary. And it is the consensus from moviegoers that the 3D representation is inferior. No surprise here as the filmmaker with his cinematographer went 2D here.

I'm waiting for the timing; friends when they are ready.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Saw it yesterday at Cinermama and thought it was brilliant. Visuals and sound are stunning. My only minor quibble was Jared Leto's character which was underdeveloped.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
+1 on the visuals and sound. I went to the IMAX cinema and the experience was great (although I had chosen 2D version, not the 3D as I hate 3D). But that was just not enough for me.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Saw it yesterday at Cinermama and thought it was brilliant. Visuals and sound are stunning. My only minor quibble was Jared Leto's character which was underdeveloped.

I agree with this assessment. Somewhere this particular and highly interesting character did get lost in the movie... he simply went off as the movie progressed. Else, a great movie.
I believe that we make too much of our memories of the original Blade Runner. This one matches it in all aspect IMO and in some surpasses it.
I still don't see the need for "slave" labor in such an advanced even if dystopian, society. Perhaps for the company? ;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
+1 on the visuals and sound. I went to the IMAX cinema and the experience was great (although I had chosen 2D version, not the 3D as I hate 3D). But that was just not enough for me.

They used 3d well here. The best 3d movie I have seen where 3d has been used for direction - giving depth and angle instead of special effects - is Scorsese's Hugo. Has to be watched in 3d though

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
They used 3d well here. The best 3d movie I have seen where 3d has been used for direction - giving depth and angle instead of special effects - is Scorsese's Hugo. Has to be watched in 3d though

Gosling is crap, TBH. Gilly was really quite bored until Harrison appeared.

But I was saying to work colleagues that the 3D was excellent. No hyping of depth as per usual to dump stuff in your lap. It just looked convincing a lot of the time.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Blade Runner 2049 is going to end up as a big flop @ the box office.
I've read that to get out of the red it needs to make $375 million.
Warner Brothers execs overestimated big time; they went overboard with marketing and advertising.

But worry not, because WB has a new baby in the pot, and he might just save the day .... Beetlejuice 2 :b

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...r-at-warner-bros/ar-AAtmqA4?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Lol

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing